How to build a ramp for a horse trailer?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a ramp for a horse trailer?” We will discuss the preparation process and required materials for building a ramp for a horse trailer. We will also list the basic steps to follow while building a ramp and discuss the other alternatives to building a ramp on your own.
How to build a ramp for a horse trailer?
To build a ramp for a horse trailer, you will need to purchase a few things to start the process. Building a ramp for a horse trailer is easy and it can be done if you have the right material. There are a few steps that need to be followed while building a ramp for a horse trailer. Most people build a ramp on their own.
You will need the basic material to construct a ramp. While there are premade ramps for a horse trailer, building one on your own is sure to save you some money. You can also get to build the ramp according to your taste. Here are some of the materials and initial steps that you need before starting the process.
Selecting the right metal
- The first thing that you need while building a ramp is getting the right metal. This is the most important component.
- The metal must be able to withstand the weight of the horses and the load.
- Be sure to get a metal sheet that has good quality and is perfect for wear and tear.
- Purchase two sheets and weld them together to have a strong floor on the ramp.
The measuring process
- Building a ramp is just like any other construction, you will need to get your measurements right in the first place.
- Be sure to know the measurements of the opening door trailer.
- The ramp must be a little smaller in width than the door itself.
- The approximate measurement is ½ inch smaller than the door. Hence, you will be able to attach the ramp to the trailer.
- Make sure to measure the slope of the ramp. This is another important aspect since you will need to horse to get in the trailer.
- You can also divide the ramp in two so it can be folded. You can add hinges so the ramp can be folded with ease.
- Remember to purchase two sheets of metal for the extra sturdiness of the ramp.
Unlike some other materials, metal can become slick when wet. You will need to get a couple of traction strips to keep your horse safe at all times. These traction strips can be added by using a welding torch across the metal. To get maximum traction, you can use a crisscross pattern. This way your horse will not slip due to the slick nature of the metal.
A Hinge is what attaches the ramp to the trailer and you need to get the heavy-duty hinges for this purpose. Some hinges are made for these purposes. Although there are specific hinges for ramps, you can get any type of heavy-duty hinge. They must be strong enough to withstand the pressure and they will need to be placed correctly at the right spots.
Many people forget this part and they fail to add chains for their ramp. Adding a few chains is not going to be expensive. Chains are sure to secure the trailer, especially when moving. Take the right measurements before fixing the chains on the ramp. It is also essential to calculate the slope from the trailer to the ground. While adding chains you will need O-rings to secure them.
Steps to build a ramp for a horse trailer
Now that we know the required materials and a few initial steps, it is time to put yourself to work. Before working on this project, ensure to have gloves, eyeglasses, proper shoes for protection, and all the required safety equipment. Below is the step-by-step process of building a ramp for a horse trailer.
Measuring and cutting
- The measuring must be done even before you purchase the material.
- Get the right measurements that you will need for the ramp.
- You will need to get the measurement of the trailer to the ground and the length of the ramp you want to build.
- You will need to cut the metal sheets and the wood according to the measurements of the trailer.
Fixing the material
- The second step will be fixing the material. You will need to place wood on the borders, and attach the hinges and the metal sheeting as required.
- You can get the help of a professional if you are unable to do this process on your own.
- Make sure to use a drill and the right amount of screws to fix the borders.
- You can check for some DIY videos online to make the process simpler.
Covering the wood
With the help of a staple gun, you can cover the wood by curving the carpet if you choose to have one. This carpet can be customized to match the carpet on the interiors. There is an outdoor carpet, especially for this purpose and you can also use a nonslip grip tap. Some people just leave it the way it is as they prefer a raw look.
Securing the ramp
- The final part is to secure the ramp. You will need to make sure that the ramp does not slip and it must be strong enough for the horses.
- You can permanently screw the base of the stairs and the top of the stairs.
- Using chains is also good for securing the ramp. Remember, that the ramp can be built according to your taste as long it gets the job done.
- Building a ramp for a horse trailer is easy and there is not much work that needs to be done.
- You can easily build a ramp for a horse trailer within a day or two if you have the right material.
- Having the right material is key and be sure to get the measurements right. However, you might need some assistance from another person just to help out in the process.
Alternative to building horse trailer ramp
For those who want to avoid the hassle of building and getting their hands dirty, there are plenty of options available. Some people just like to purchase a horse trailer ramp and get done with the job. However, a horse trailer can cost you somewhere around $1,500 or more. Building a horse trailer ramp will be lesser, especially if you are planning on doing it on your own.
The options are unlimited since there are brand new horse trailer ramps available in the market. The latest horse trailer ramps have all been aluminum and it is built to last longer than the traditional steel ones. There is a variety of stuff available online and many of them are pretty strong enough to suit any trailer.
Most of the trailers are standard in size and their ramps are sold accordingly if it is a single horse trailer or a double horse trailer. You can visit a retailer nearby just to be sure of the size or you can also get the best ones online. In most cases, you can have a ramp constructed according to your requirements.
Some of the other options are purchasing a used ramp for a horse trailer. People are comfortable purchasing a used ramp for a horse trailer as long as it is sturdy. On the other hand, a ramp is used only while transporting a horse. There are plenty of options available on Craiglist and there are many other options available on eBay.
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a ramp for a horse trailer?” We have talked about the preparation process and required materials for building a ramp for a horse trailer. We have also listed the basic steps to follow while building a ramp and discussed the other alternatives to building a ramp on your own.