How to build a portable RV deck?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a portable RV deck?” We will discuss the steps to build a portable RV deck along with the required materials and various options. We will also talk about a couple of alternatives for portable RV decks. At the end of this post, you will get to know how to build a portable RV deck in less than a day.
How to build a portable RV deck?
To build a portable RV deck, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Determine the measurements
- Build a wooden frame
- Add crossbeams
- Install the flooring
- Stain the RV deck
Determine the measurements
- The measurements are the key to this project and you will need to start by understanding the size of the portable RV deck. Once you understand the size, you can go ahead and start building a portable RV deck.
- Remember that this is a portable RV deck, it is always good to keep it small and simple. It is also recommended to use light wood while building the portable RV deck. Determine the length and width of the RV deck. You can also choose to build a square portable RV deck.
Cut the wood
- Cut the wood based on the measurements. Wood is one of the best options to build a portable RV deck since it is lighter and easier than the other options.
- You will be required to use two by 6s for the frame. Cut to pieces of 2 by 6s based on the length and cut two based on the measurements of the width.
- Next, you will need to cut crossbeams to add them in between the wooden frame. These cross beams are joists and they will provide more support when you install the flooring. Cut the cross beams after building the wooden frame since you will need inside measurements of the frame.
Build a wooden frame
- Next, you will need to build a wooden frame with the four pieces of 2 by 6s that you cut. Build a wooden frame in a form of a rectangular or square box. Make sure that the frame is secure by adding screws to the ends. You should be able to move the frame around without any hassle.
- You will be required to add crossbeams on the inside of the frame in a horizontal pattern. Make sure to add the crossbeams with the right measurement and secure them with screws on both ends. The crossbeams will provide more protection and it also gives you a platform to install the RV flooring.
Install the flooring
- Now it’s time to install the flooring to complete the deck. Be sure to work on this project on a flat surface. To install the flooring, you will be required to use deck boards. There are plenty of options for deck boards and they are not too expensive.
- Just be sure to use deck boards that are not too heavy. These deck boards will need to be light since you are building a portable RV deck. On the other hand, you can also choose to add sheets of plywood.
- While installing the deck boards, make sure that they are installed vertically over the crossbeams. Drill screws through the deck boards and the frame.
- You can also choose to add screws on the crossbeams, but this is not mandatory. Work cautiously while installing the deck boards and make sure that they are not crooked. It is also important to have all the crossbeams cut to the same measurements.
Stain the RV deck
- Use a stain to give your portable RV deck a rich appearance. Add a couple of coats until you get the color that you desire. There are plenty of wood stain options that are available according to the type of wood that you use.
- You can also opt to paint the deck a neat brown. However, most people use a stain. Avoid using bright colors if you plan on painting the RV deck.
Alternatives for portable RV decks
For those who want to avoid the hassle of building a portable RV deck, there are a few alternatives to choose from. Here are some of the alternative portable RV decks to consider.
Interlocking deck tiles
- One of the best options to consider is using interlocking deck tiles. These tiles are light, easy to install, and not too expensive. They are easy to store and can be carried around without any hassle.
- Interlocking deck tiles are simple and versatile. These tiles can be used outdoors for a portable RV deck or a walkway. You can also use these tiles for your patio, floor covering, etc.
- They are pre-built wooden tiles that can be attached with ease there is nothing much you need to do. It hardly takes up to a few minutes to install these tiles. These interlocking tiles are made up of wood and they have a metal packing at the bottom.
- Ever heard of bamboo mats used as a portable RV deck? Bamboo mats are one of those cheap alternatives that can be used as a portable RV deck. While this might not be one of the best options, it is still possible to use bamboo shower floor mats.
- These mats are waterproof since they are used for showers outdoors. Hence, it makes a beautiful option for a portable RV deck. The only disadvantage is that the bamboo mats might not be as high as the other options.
- Bamboo shower mats are small, easily portable, and lightweight. They are also foldable, and elegant, and arrive with non-slip features. There is no need to worry about rain and snow with these bamboo mats.
Those were some of the best alternatives for portable RV decks. Building a portable RV deck is an easy process but you might require help from another person. A part from wood there are various choices like aluminum but they can be more expensive and hard to build on your own. Be sure to consider the size and make sure that you have enough space to store the portable RV deck.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build a portable RV deck?” We have discussed the steps to build a portable RV deck along with the required materials and various options. We have also talked about a couple of alternatives for portable RV decks.