How to build a kayak rack for an RV?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a kayak rack for an RV?” We will discuss the steps and procedures to successfully build a kayak rack for an RV. Additionally, we will also discuss the best kayak racks for RVs along with their features and benefits.
How to build a kayak rack for an RV?
To build a kayak rack for an RV, you will need to follow the steps described below.
- Decide the location of the kayak rack
- Measure the kayak
- Build the frame
- Drill holes on the bumper
- Install the frame on the bumper
- Install the second frame
Decide the location of the kayak rack
- First, you will need to decide the location of the kayak rack. Most people have their kayak racks fixed at the back of the RV, but you can also choose to build a kayak rack on the RV roof.
- This depends on the type of motorhome and the amount of space required for the kayak rack. Some kayak racks can be placed easily on the roof but some might need to be stored behind.
Measure the kayak
- While this might seem to be a simple process, you must measure the kayak before building the frame. You will need to know the length and width of the kayak rack to get started with the process.
Build the frame
- Next, you will need to build the frame of the kayak rack depending on where you want to store your kayak. The best option is to have a steel or metal frame that is corrosion free.
- According to the measurements of your kayak, you will need to get steel rods or pipes. It is advised to opt for steel pipes that are square since they are easy to install.
- Make sure that the steel pipes are a minimum of two to four inches in terms of width.
- Next, you will need a flat metal piece to be placed on the bumper of the RV. If you do not have a bumper for your RV, make sure to get one installed.
- Create a box shape with the steel pipes by keeping the flat metal piece on one side. You will need to weld the pipes like a square and make sure that one side is the flat metal piece that needs to be fixed to the bumper.
- When welding the square, make sure that the kayak sits into the square with the pointed part projection out. The square should not allow the kayak to pass through.
- To complete the rack, you will need to build a similar frame but it should not be like a square. One side of the second frame must have a flat metal piece and the opposite side should be empty. To push the kayak through.
Drill holes on the bumper
- You will need to drill holes in the bumper with the help of a driller. The holes should be good enough to accommodate the bolts that are screwed.
Install the frame on the bumper
- In the next step, you will need to install the frame on the bumper of the RV. This should be an easy step once you have the holes drilled. Be sure to use bolts that are strong enough to hold the frame securely.
- Next, you will need to install the second frame on top of the RV. Once you have the second frame installed, you will have a proper kayak rack with both ends complete.
Install the second frame
- For the second frame, you might need to make a couple of alterations since you will not have a bumper on top. Some people drill holes directly on top into to RV, but it’s better to have something similar like a bumper on top to install the second frame. Once you have both frames in place, it becomes completely like a perfect kayak rack.
Best kayak racks for RVs
If you still find it hard to build a kayak rack for an RV, the best option is to simply purchase one. The market is filled with kayak racks and many models are available. These models are perfect for most RVs and they have various features. Here are some of the best kayak racks for RVs described below.
Swagman contour kayak rack
- This particular model is designed to place your kayaks on the roof. The Swagman contour arrives at an affordable price and it is easy to install. It can also be installed on SUVs and other cars. It is not too big and it is one of the best universal kayak racks.
- There are two tie-down straps and cam lock buckles that arrive with these racks. They also have soft and firm padding to protect your kayak while driving.
Stimulater kayak rack
- The stimulater kayak rack is yet another affordable kayak roof rack with top-quality features. This kayak rack is easy to assemble and it is one of those durable racks.
- It has a great design and is made up of high-quality aviation-grade aluminum alloy. It is waterproof and coated with anti-rust paint for longer durability. The Stimulater kayak rack is flexible and it can be adjusted according to your preference.
Yackups swing out kayak rack
- Yackups kayak racks are unique as they arrive with compatible hitch receiver swings. These can also be used on RVs that have rear doors.
- One of the major advantages and yet another great feature of this kayak rack is that it can also be used as a bike rack. This is an excellent option for a van-style RV.
- The rack weight in this model is also considered as it weighs up to 108 pounds. This has a sturdy build and it is strong enough for most kayaks.
Verti Yak kayak rack
- This particular model is well-known and it is also one of the most affordable kayak racks that are available in the market. The Verti Yak kayak rack is used as a vertical hitch mount.
- This rack can carry two kayaks with ease with a maximum length of 12 feet. It can be used with a hitch mount and it is built with a solid frame to keep your kayak in place.
- Another benefit of this kayak rack is that it is lightweight and folds up out of the way when not in use. However, the rubber padding on the straps is not included in this rack.
KR2B56 kayak rack
- The KR2B56 kayak rack is durable and wide, and it is one of the best functional racks that are available in the market. It has a double powder-coated steel frame and stainless steel hardware for ultimate performance.
- This rack can fit up to two 32-inch kayaks and two bikes at the same time with up to three-inch wide tires. It also has an affordable price range and the entire system weighs up to 118 pounds.
Those were some of the best kayak racks for RVs that are durable and easy to install. These racks have top-quality materials and they are not too expensive. Building a kayak rack for an RV is pretty easy if you follow the right steps. Feel free to contact an expert to help build a kayak rack for RV and ensure to wear safety gear while working.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build a kayak rack for an RV?” We have discussed the steps and procedures to successfully build a kayak rack for an RV. Additionally, we have also discussed the best kayak racks for RVs along with their features and benefits.