How to build a dinette for an RV?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a dinette for an RV?” We will discuss the steps to build a dinette for an RV and touch upon the required materials. We will also list the required materials to build a dinette for an RV. At the end of this post, you will get to know how to build a dinette for an RV in just a couple of days.
How to build a dinette for an RV?
To build a dinette for an RV, follow the steps described below.
- Measure the area
- Determine the dimensions
- Cut the wood
- Build the table
- Fix the table to the floor
- Apply the stain
- Fix the bench
- Waterproof the tabletop
Measure the area
- First, you will need to measure the area where you plan on building the dinette for your RV. Building a dinette for an RV is a simple process and it can be done in just a couple of days. RV dinettes are not too big due to the limited space. These dinettes are compact and are just perfect to accommodate up to two people.
- Depending on the space in your RV, you can create a plan to build the dinette. Measure the area that you have allocated for building the dinette. Note down the measurements since you will need to use them for the next step.
Determine the dimensions
- Next, you will need to determine the dimensions according to the free space that you have for the dinette.
- Start by deciding on the dimensions of the table. The table is going to be the biggest part of the project and you must have enough space to build a table to accommodate a minimum of two people.
- Decide on the length, width, and height of the table. You can also draw a comprehensive plan to make the process easier. The most important part is to decide on the size of the tabletop. The larger the tabletop, the better the space.
- Make sure that there is enough space to walk around the table. The table should not interrupt the space to move around through the galley area. Most of the RV tabletops have a standard dimension of 30 inches from the floor, four feet in length, and two feet in width.
- You can choose to have your measurements based on your preference, but the ideal dimensions are four feet long, two feet wide, and 30 inches from the ground.
- Now that you have the dimensions of the tabletop, it is essential to consider the dimensions of the chairs. If you plan on building the seating on your own, you will need to know the basic dimensions of an RV dinette bench. The easy way out is to purchase RV dinette chairs that are not too expensive.
- It is also important to determine the dimensions of the seating booth. The usual RV dinette bench seating is around 30 inches.
Cut the wood
- This is the most important step since you are required to cut the wood for the table according to the dimensions. Use plywood for the tabletop and make sure that the wood is cut too tight measurements.
- If you are building a couple of benches for each side, you must cut the wood according to the measurements of the bench. Add 2 by 4s for the bench legs and attach the plywood on top.
Build the table
- The next step is to build the table with wood and with the help of a floor base mount. A floor base mount is one of the best and easiest options to consider when it comes to building a dinette.
- Building the table is an easy process and it can be done in just a couple of hours.
Fix the table to the floor
- You will be required to drill a couple of holes in the floor based on the type of floor base mount that you choose. There are several options to consider and most of the floor base mounts arrive with the screws for installation.
- There are adjustable pedestal table mounts that are more convenient. Once you have the table mount fixed, you can go ahead and attach the plywood to the top. This is an easy process since you only need to fix the plywood with screws.
Apply the stain
- To give your table a rich look, you will be required to add stain. Several types of stain are available, be sure to get one that will match the wood. Use a brush to apply the stain and feel free to give it another coat if required.
Fix the bench
- Once you are done with the table, you can move onto the bench. You can either opt to fix the bench to the RV permanently. You can assemble the benches with the help of “L” shaped brackets. These brackets will help to hold the benches together. You can also add proprietary wood glue to assemble the joints for extra strength.
Waterproof the tabletop
- It is also good to waterproof the tabletop of the RV dinette. The easiest way to waterproof the table top is by adding thin coats of high-gloss lacquer. You can also sand the surface and wait for the lacquer to dry properly before adding the next coat.
Building a dinette for an RV is an easy task and it can be accomplished by one person. Be sure to stain the wood and position the benches in the right area where you want them to be. Use a marker and draw the area where you plan on fixing the dinette for your RV. If you are unable to work alone, be sure to get in touch with an experienced professional.
Required material to build a dinette for an RV
There are not many materials that are required to build a dinette for an RV. You can choose to add your materials according to your requirements. Here are some of the materials that you need to build a dinette for an RV.
- Two-inch plywood sheets
- Wood glue
- Medium grit sandpaper
- Table legs
- 2 by 4s
- Finishing fabric
- Carpentry toolkit
- Paint (optional).
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a dinette for an RV?” We have discussed the steps to build a dinette for an RV and touched upon the required materials. We have also listed the required materials to build a dinette for an RV.