How to build a collapsible RV table?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a collapsible RV table?” We will discuss the steps to build a collapsible RV table and touch upon the required materials for this project. We will also talk about a few finishing touches to make the overall appearance of the table look great.
How to build a collapsible RV table?
To build a collapsible RV table, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Choose the area
- Determine the measurements
- Cut the wood
- Smoothen the edges
- Install the folding brackets
- Install the table
- Stain the table
Choose the area
- To build a collapsible RV table, you will need to follow a few simple steps. The first step is to choose the area where you plan on building the collapsible RV table. A collapsible RV table is built on the wall of the RV. You will need to find an area that is good enough to build the table.
- Make sure that there is enough space and that there are no items around on the RV wall. It is also important to have enough space on the sides. Double-check if the wall is strong enough to hold the weight of the table.
- Ensure to choose the area wisely since the collapsible RV table is going to be there permanently.
Determine the measurements
- Next, you will need to determine the measurements of the collapsible RV table. Based on the area that you choose, you can go ahead and determine the measurements. If there is enough space on the wall, you can extend the table size.
- With the help of tape, measure where you want to table to be. You can either choose to build a square or rectangular table based on your preference. Collapsible RV tables are usually small and are not too big. However, you are still free to build your size.
- When it comes to the measurements, all you need to do is measure the length and width of the table. There is no need to worry about the height since the table is going to be fixed to the wall.
- You will also need to consider the clearance when the table is folded down. An ideal collapsible RV table can be anywhere from 30 inches long to 25 inches wide. Some people keep it a little longer while some try to keep it minimal. This is entirely left up to your preference and the space that you have.
Cut the wood
- Next, you will need to cut the wood for the tabletop. Plywood is one of the best options to consider while building a collapsible RV table. Make sure to use plywood that has a minimum thickness of two inches.
- Cut the plywood based on the measurements that you require. Be sure to mark the plywood with the help of a marker or pencil before cutting. You can use a circular saw to cut the wood. Just be sure to stick to the measurements.
- Another option to consider is bamboo wood. There are several benefits to bamboo wood and it is also light and durable. Bamboo wood is stronger than oak and it is more resistant to moisture. Bamboo wood also provides a rich-looking textile.
Smoothen the edges
- Now that you have the tabletop ready, you will be required to smoothen the edges. Sandpaper is one of the best options to smoothen the edges. Another option to consider is a router and it is one of the easiest and fastest ways to get round wood edges.
- You can also use a router to smoothen the entire border of the tabletop. If you are unable to find a router, you can use a hand plane instead. The tabletop is sure to have sharp edges and it is essential to remove these sharp surfaces.
- Smoothen the borders evenly and make sure that there are no rough patches along the way.
Install the folding brackets
- The next step is the most important since you will be required to install the folding brackets. There are plenty of durable folding brackets that are available. Be sure to purchase a strong folding bracket that is sturdy enough to take the weight of the tabletop.
- While choosing the folding brackets, you must consider the length of the brackets. The folding brackets should not be bigger than the tabletop and they should not be too small either. The folding brackets must be a little more than half of the table’s width. Make sure to purchase two folding brackets of the same size.
- Once you have the right size of folding brackets, you will need to install them on the tabletop. Make sure to install them to the side that will be folded down to the RV wall.
- Both the folding brackets need to be parallel for the table to fold down properly. Before installing the folding brackets, mark the area with the help of a marker. Both folding brackets need to be straight in the same manner. Ensure that the distance along the two lines is equal.
- With the help of screws, you will be required to install the folding brackets on the tabletop. Most of the folding brackets arrive with screws or bolts with them. You might be required to drill holes in the tabletop where you plan on fixing the folding brackets.
- While installing the folding brackets, be sure to fix the screws or the bolts from the top of the tabletop.
Install the table
- Next, you must install a collapsible RV table on the wall. Before installing the tabletop to the wall double-check to see if the folding brackets are working properly. Be sure to install the folding brackets parallel to each other.
- Before installing, mark the location of the brackets on the wall. You might need help from another person to hold the tabletop while marking the location of the brackets. You will need to use screws for this process since you are installing the collapsible RV table to the wall.
Stain the tabletop
- Finally, you can go ahead and stain the tabletop. This is applicable, especially if you use plywood. Give your tabletop a neat glossy stain to give it a rich appearance. If you choose to use bamboo wood, you can simply leave it the way it is.
- Another option is to paint the collapsible RV table with a color of your choice. Most people paint the collapsible table according to the color of the RV wall. This comes in handy when the table is collapsed down. Painting the tabletop the same color as the RV wall helps to camouflage the tabletop.
- Check the collapsible RV table once again for sturdiness and make sure that the mechanism is working properly once again.
That said, the process to build a collapsible RV table is now complete. This is an easy project as it required minimal material and it does not consume too much time. Once you have all the materials in place, you should be able to successfully build a collapsible RV table in less than a day. Collapsible RV tables are used as workspaces and some people use them as coffee tables.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build a collapsible RV table?” We have discussed the steps to build a collapsible RV table and touched upon the required materials for this project. We have also talked about a few finishing touches to make the overall appearance of the table look great.