How to build a canned ham camper?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a canned ham camper?” We will describe the steps to build a canned ham camper along with the essentials and materials. At the end of this post, you will get to know how to build a canned ham camper from start to end.
How to build a canned ham camper?
To build a canned ham camper, the following steps are required.
- Design the structure of the camper
- Build the floor
- Build the side walls
- Add beams to the walls and the roof
- Install wood on the front wall, back wall, and roof
- Install the door and window
- Build a bed
- Build storage shelves
- Install solar panels
Design the structure of the camper
- First, you will need to design the structure of the camper. Canned ham campers have a different shape and they stand out from all the other campers. These campers are rounded on the roof, front, and back while the sides of the camper remain normal.
- It is important to design the structure of the canned ham camper based on these requirements. You will need to plan the design based on the bottom frame that you have. Most canned ham campers have only two wheels since they are small. However, some might be longer and some can be pretty short.
- Be sure to get a frame that is good enough to occupy two people comfortably. Once you have the frame, you can go ahead with the design process.
Build the floor
- When you have the frame in place, you can go ahead and start building the floor. Build the floor of the canned ham camper based on the size of the frame. You will need to use wooden reapers for the flooring.
- Make sure that the reapers are cut to the right length and width of the frame. Place the reapers on the frame and use screws to secure it. After installing the reapers, use a huge sheet of thick plywood over the reapers. You can use adhesive to stick the plywood onto the floor. For more support, you can add screws to the plywood.
Build the side walls
- Start building the side walls of the canned ham camper once you are done with the floor. To build the side walls, it is recommended to use one sheet of wood. You can use thick plywood or any other wood based on your choice.
- The most crucial part is to cut the wood according to its shape. Canned ham campers have a particular shape and you will need to get your measurements right before cutting the wood.
- Put the sheet on the floor and mark the area where you need to cut. Measure the wheels of the frame and cut an arc on the side walls of the wheel. Cut out a window on one side based on the size that you prefer. Canned ham campers have small windows so try not to keep them too big.
- Remember, you will need a door to enter the camper. Make sure to cut out a door on one side of the wall and cut out the window on the other side of the wall. Both walls should be in the same shape.
- One side should have a small window with an arc for the wheel and the other side should have a door with an arc for the other wheel.
- Be sure to get the right shape for the walls. The front and back parts should have an arc while the side walls remain flat. Use a couple of wooden beams on the inside of the walls for more support.
- Once you have the walls built you can choose to paint them or add aluminum sheeting throughout the walls. Aluminum sheeting provides better protection.
- Fix the walls onto the floor of the camper. You will need to add some extra support at the bottom to hold the walls.
Add beams on the walls and the roof
- Next, you will need to add wooden beams or thin strips along the sides of the canned ham camper. These strips must be added at the front and the back of the camper. Place the strips from the bottom of the side walls and work your way to the top of the roof.
- These beams should be placed with a one-foot gap. These wooden beams will also strengthen the side walls and they will act as a frame to install the front and back walls.
Install wood on the front wall, back wall, and roof
- In the next step, you must start installing wood planks by fixing them on the beams. These planks need to be cut out based on the width between each side wall of the canned ham camper.
- Use the beams are a frame to install the plywood or planks as per your choice. You will need to secure the roof by using the same method.
- Make sure to use screws or bolts to secure the wood properly onto the beams that you installed. You can also use a combination of both adhesive and wood beams.
- Once you are done your camper should be fully covered, except for the door and window area. Use aluminum sheets to cover the front, back, and roof of the camper. You will need to bend the aluminum sheets for the front and back due to the arc.
- Used nails and adhesive together and work cautiously with the sheets. The sheets need to fit the shape of the camper. Wear safety gear while working with these sheets.
Install the door and window
- Next, you must install the door and the window exactly to the right size that you left before. Build a frame for the door and window based on the measurements. Use wood beams that are slightly thicker for the frames and attach them to the camper walls.
- With the same wood, you can build a door and window. You can opt for a glass window to look outside of the canned ham camper. Add glass to the door if required or you can simply stick to plain wood. Add aluminum sheets to the outside of the door.
- Fix hinges on the window and door frame. Ensure to use large hinges for the door and use small ones for the window. First, you must fix the hinges on the door and window before fixing them on the camper walls.
Build a bed
- You will need a small bed for your canned ham camper to sleep comfortably. You can either opt to build a sofa bed or a small bed. Build a base structure with wood from the canned ham camper floor and add plywood on top for a flat surface.
- Add cushions or make a customized bed for you to sleep comfortably at night. Make use of the space under the bed for storage.
Build storage shelves
- The main thing you need in a camper is storage options. Be sure to build storage shelves to keep all your camping gear in place. You can also build a small table inside the canned ham camper if you have enough space.
- When it comes to furniture, it is always good to keep it simple due to the restrictions on space. Use portable camping chairs since they are easy to store. You can also use these items outdoors while camping.
Install solar panels
- Solar panels are one of the best options to power up your canned ham camper. There is no need to depend on shore power and you will not be required to worry when camping in the wilderness.
- Install two 100-watt solar panels on the roof and connect them to an inverter and battery. Run the wires along the wall and you will have enough power for a canned ham camper.
Building a canned ham camper is not too difficult as long as you get the shape right. The shape is the most important part of the canned ham camper. Be sure to get all the measurements right and the frame of the canned ham camper. You might need help from another person while installing the aluminum sheets.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build a canned ham camper?” We have described the steps to build a canned ham camper along with the essentials and materials. Feel free to leave us a comment below and let us know what you think about canned ham campers.