How to build a campervan roof deck?
In this blog post, we will answer the following question: “How to build a campervan roof deck?” We will discuss the steps in detail on how to successfully build a campervan roof deck in less than a day. We will also talk about the required materials to build a campervan roof deck.
How to build a campervan roof deck?
To build a campervan roof deck, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Measure the roof
- Create a layout
- Cut the metal bars
- Weld the bars
- Add the wooden beams
- Install the mounts
- Stain the deck
- Bolt the deck to the mount
Measure the roof
- To build a campervan roof deck, you must first measure the roof. This will help you determine the roof deck’s layout and size. With the help of tape, you will need to note down the length and width of the roof.
- Be sure to measure the roof accurately from one corner to the other. Note down the measurements on a piece of paper.
Create a layout
- Next, you need to create a layout based on the measurements. You will need to use metal bars to build a frame. This layout is an idea of how you want the campervan roof deck. It has to be according to the measurements of the roof. Some people create a layout that is smaller than the roof, while some stick to the size of the roof.
Cut the metal bars
- You must use metal bars or galvanized steel beams for the campervan roof deck. Cut the bars according to the length and width that you desire. Ensure that the bars are long enough to cover the length of the campervan roof. You will also need to cut the horizontal bars, which will act as the width of the campervan.
- One of the best options is to use L-shaped galvanized steel bars. This is the best way to install the roof deck on the campervan.
Weld the bars
- The next step is to weld the bars you cut to create a frame. The frame should be rectangular and fit exactly on the campervan roof. Weld the horizontal bars to the vertical ones and ensure they are intact. Double-check the corners and get rid of any sharp edges if there are any.
- You can also weld a couple of flat bars in between. These bars can be used as crossbars and will also work as a base to build the deck. Once you are done, you will have a rectangular frame with crossbeams in place.
Add the wooden beams
- Next, you need to add the wooden beams to your built frame. Since you have crossbeams in between, adding the wooden beams vertically is recommended.
- The most important part is to cut the wooden beams according to the measurements of the frame. Make sure that the beams fit exactly into the metal frame. The beams should be able to sit into the L-shaped galvanized steel.
- The next step is to install the wooden beams to the metal frame. To install the beams, you need to use strong adhesive or bolts to secure them. If you use bolts, you must drill holes in the frame. Make sure to use small bolts for this purpose.
- There are plenty of adhesive options if you don’t want to use screws or bolts. Make sure that you add pressure until the wood is stuck properly to the metal frame. Just be sure that the beams are tight and secure and can bear your weight.
- Leaving a small gap between each beam while installing them to the frame is also important. Some people opt to install them together, while some leave a small gap in between. Now, you will have the deck ready for the campervan.
Install the mounts
- You will need to install the roof rack mounts to get the roof deck on top of the campervan. You need to purchase a couple of roof rack mounts to do this. Before installing the roof mounts, you will need to temporarily place the mounts on the roof and mark the area that needs to be drilled.
- Drill the holes to bolt the frame, and the roof rack mounts together. You will be required to drill holes in the roof of the campervan to install the mounts.
- Another easier method is to install struts along the roof of the campervan. Be sure to add the struts vertically along the campervan roof. Drill holes in each corner and add bolts to the campervan roof.
Stain the deck
- Before installing the deck, you must paint the galvanized steel and stain the deck. It is always good to give the frame a coat of black paint. For the deck, you can choose to stain the wood according to a color of your choice. You can give it a couple of coats until you get the desired color.
- Another easy way out is to give the deck a good painting. The best option is to keep your deck brown.
Bolt the deck to the mount
- Finally, you will need to bolt the deck to the mount. Once you have the mounts or struts in place, you only need to bolt the deck to the mount. Be sure to secure the deck properly with bolts to the mounts or the struts.
- If you plan on using struts, you must use a couple of small L-shaped brackets. Fix the brackets to the struts and then bolt them to the mount.
That said, your campervan roof deck is now ready. All you need to do is install the roof deck on top. Make sure to follow the steps described above. You can easily build a campervan roof deck in less than a day. Be sure to get the measurements right and make sure cut the metal and wooden beams in the right manner.
Required materials to build a campervan roof deck
To build a campervan roof deck, you must have the right materials in place. These materials are not too expensive and can be bought at any store. Here are the required materials to build a campervan roof deck.
- Heavy-duty galvanized steel or metal beams (L-shaped)
- Flat steel bars for crossbeams
- Bolts, washers, and nuts (50-mm galvanized head bolts and nuts)
- Timber decking material (flat wooden beams)
- Screws and bolts to install the decking to the rack (50 mm galvanized metal screws)
- Struts or mounts to install the frame.
Those are the basic materials required to build a campervan roof deck. These materials are not too expensive. You can easily build a campervan roof deck for less than $300. Building a campervan roof deck is a simple process, and it can be done on your own in less than one day. You can also hire an expert to complete this task with ease.
In this blog post, we have answered the following question: “How to build a campervan roof deck?” We have discussed the steps in detail on how to successfully build a campervan roof deck in less than a day. We also discussed the required materials to build a campervan roof deck.