How to build a campervan interior?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a campervan interior?” We will discuss the steps to build a campervan interior in detail and talk about the necessary items. We will also cover the basics that are required for a comfortable living. At the end of this post, you will get to know how to build the interior of a campervan successfully.
How to build a campervan interior?
To build a camper van interior, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Create a plan
- Clean the interiors
- Install a roof vent and windows
- Install the floor
- Build a wooden frame for the walls and the roof
- Insulate the walls and ceiling
- Install the wiring
- Apply plywood to the walls
- Install storage shelves
- Install the furniture
- Add the kitchen items
- Fix the plumbing
- Install the bathroom
Create a plan
- The simplest and the most important thing to do is to create a plan. You must have an idea about what you want for the interiors and it is always good to start with a plan.
- Start by creating a simple floor plan and taking measurements of the interiors of your campervan. Use a pen and paper to write down the measurements and make a note of the furniture that you will require.
- You will also need to create a layout with a rough idea of the plumbing and wiring. Be sure to keep in mind where you want to place your bed, dinette, and kitchen.
Clean the interiors
- Next, you will need to clean the interiors of the van by sanding all the rough spots and removing all the uneven spots. Feel free to paint the van by giving it a color of your choice. Before painting, make sure to sand the entire van and add a coat of primer if necessary.
- While cleaning the interiors, be sure to check for gaps and spots that need to be repaired. Make sure that there are no holes, debris, and other damage inside the camper. Use enough sealant to cover all the crevices and make sure that water does not enter the camper.
Install a roof vent and windows
- The lighting inside the campervan is important, feel free to install a roof vent and windows if necessary. If you need more light to pass through, make sure to install a vent in the roof.
Install the floor
- Create a frame on the floor by using wood strips like cedar. You can use any strips according to your choice. Use adhesive to stick the strips to the floor. Keep enough gaps in between the strips and fill the gaps with recycled granulated cork. This acts as insulation for the floor.
- Next, you can use plywood by screwing it on the strips. Use enough plywood and install it properly by covering the entire floor area of the campervan. You can stain the floor according to the type of wood and also choose to add the varnish.
Build a wooden frame for the walls and the roof
- By using the same wooden strips, you will need to build a wooden frame for the walls and the roof. Keep enough gaps between each wooden strip for insulation. Use the same procedure and build a wooden frame on the roof.
Insulate the walls and ceiling
- In the next step, you will need to insulate the walls and the ceiling. You can use natural hemp to insulate the walls and ceiling. Make sure that the hemp is a minimum of two inches. Cover all the metal surfaces of the van using hemp.
- Repeat the same process for the ceiling. Now, you will have the full van insulated. Note that you might need to use some tape to hold the hemp together until you fix the plywood. Don’t forget to insulate the doors of the campervan and add plywood as well.
Install the wiring
- The wiring is the most important part and this must be done before you add the plywood and apply a coat of paint. Run the electric wires through plastic tubes to the battery or solar panels of the campervan.
Add plywood to the walls
- You can choose to add plywood and cover the strips thoroughly by creating a wooden wall. This will act as the walls for your campervan and you can also choose to paint them with a color of your wish.
- You can also choose to use thin wood strips like panels on the wall. However, this will require more work when compared to plywood.
Install storage shelves
- You will require some shelves to store and organize everything inside your campervan. Build a couple of shelves with the help of plywood. You can build as many shelves as you require depending on the space in your caravan.
- Be sure to build enough shelves to keep all your kitchen items. You can also build a couple of shelves for your bed linen. Install enough shelves to store the fresh water tanks and other necessities.
- Add a couple of overhead storage shelves in the kitchen and bedroom if necessary. The more shelves you have, the more space on the inside.
Install the furniture
- Next, you will need to build furniture based on your preference. You can choose to build furniture based on the size of your campervan. Some people choose to purchase furniture for their campervan.
- If you plan of building your furniture, you will need to consider building a base for the bed and a sofa if there is enough space. You will also need to have a table for dining.
Add the kitchen items
- You will need to add all your kitchen items like the sink, fridge, stove, and a few other items. You will need racks in the kitchen area to store all your food and other groceries items.
Fix the plumbing
- Be sure to fix the plumbing and make all the required connections. Connect the toilet to the black water tank and make sure to connect the kitchen sink and shower to the grey water tank if you have them.
Install the bathroom
- The most important part is to install the bathroom in your campervan. You will need to add a closet to hold the toilet and make sure you have a small enclosed space. You can choose to extend the bathroom depending on the size of your campervan.
Be sure to add a comfortable bed that will match the inside of your campervan. Building a campervan interior is entirely based on what you choose and what you need. The furniture plays an important role and it is also good to keep it simple and neat. You can also contact an interior specialist to help you build the interiors of the campervan.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build a campervan interior?” We have discussed the steps to build a campervan interior in detail and talked about the necessary items. We have also covered the basics that are required for a comfortable living. Have you built the interior of a campervan before? Let us know in the comments below.