How to build a camper shell hoist?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a camper shell hoist?” We will discuss one of the easiest methods of building a camper shell hoist. We will talk about the required materials and guide you through this entire process. At the end of this post, you will get to know how to build a camper shell hoist within one day.
How to build a camper shell hoist?
To build a camper shell hoist, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Choose the right location
- Mount the winch base
- Install a hand winch
- Install the hooks onto the roof
- Attach the pulleys and chain
- Setup the hand wench
- Fix the cable from the wench through the pulley
- Identify the balancing point of the camper shell
- Install the bolt, metal plate, washer, and D-ring hook
Choose the right location
- The first step is to choose the right location to build a camper shell hoist. Most people build their camper shell hoist in the garage itself.
- Choosing the right location depends on where you choose to park your vehicle. Make sure that the location you choose has a roof and a sidewall. The garage is one of the best options to build a camper shell hoist.
Mount the winch base
- Next, you will need to get started with the project by mounting the winch. You will need space on a side wall to mount the winch. Be sure to have some empty space on the wall and remove any other obstacles that are around it.
- To mount the winch, you will need a couple of two-by-four wooden beams.
- Next, you will need to drill four holes in each of the wooden beams. These holes must be drilled at the end of both boards.
- Fix the first wooden beam onto the wall by using four screws in the holes that you drilled. Make sure that the wooden beam is secure and make sure that the first beam is fixed a little below eye level or to the level of your chest.
- Make sure that the first beam is perfectly level. After fixing the first beam, fix the second beam right below by using the same technique. These two-by-four wooden beams will be the base for you to set up the hand winch.
Install a hand winch
- You will need to install a hand winch on the winch base that you just installed onto the wall. Purchase a good hand winch that is good enough to get the task done. There are plenty of hand winch options online and they arrive at an affordable price.
- The hand winch will have holes for it to be fixed onto the base. With the help of a pen, mark the holes on the base while holding the hand winch against it. Try to keep the hand winch at the center of the winch base.
- Use lag screws to secure the hand winch onto the wooden base. Lag screws are the best for this purpose and you can use a spanner to get them in place.
- Ensure that your winch is properly secured to the base that you fixed onto the wall. Pull the winch and check if it is loose or shaky.
Install the hooks onto the roof
- In the next step, you must install a hook onto the roof of your garage. This step might require help but you can still do it on your own. Make sure that the hook you install on the roof is right about the hand wench that you installed.
- You will need to drill a hole into the roof and then a small pilot hole into the ceiling joist.
- Next, you must use a heavy-duty ibolt that consists of a hook. There are plenty of heavy-duty hooks that are available for this purpose.
- Next, you will need to install the second hook onto the roof. This hook should be installed at the center of the roof or where you park your vehicle. The hook must be right about the center of the vehicle to help hoist the shell.
Attach the pulleys and chain
- Attach the first pulley to the first hook that is right about the hand wench. All you need to do is push the pulley onto the hook.
- The second pulley should be attached to the second hook that you installed at the center of the roof. Add the pulley by putting a bolt and nut to secure it. Purchase a thick chain and a decent pulley to serve the purpose.
Setup the hand wench
- Now, you must set up the hand wench by attaching the handle. The hand wench will arrive with an instruction guide for setup.
- Run the cable through the side of the spool and lock it in place with the hardware that arrives with the hand wench. Go through the hand-wench installation manual if you have any questions.
Fix the cable from the wench through the pulleys
- The next step is to fix the cable from the hand wench through the first pulley and run it straight to the center through the second pulley. Just make sure that the wire is sitting exactly onto the groove or the pulley.
- Fix a heavy-duty hook at the end of the wire that comes out of the second pulley. Crank the handle of the hand wench to seal the cable end and make it in line.
Identify the balancing point of the camper shell
- This is the most crucial part of the entire project, but with the right tools, you will soon be on your way.
- For this step, you will need to remove the camper shell and place it on the ground. With the help of a car jack and some blocks of wood, you need to identify the balancing point of the camper.
- Place your camper shell onto a couple of wooden planks rather than placing it directly on the ground. This will help to prevent any damage.
- You will need to pull up the rear glass of the camper shell and push the car jack under the camper shell to the center point. The center point is the balance of the camper shell.
- Lift the camper shell with the car jack and the blocks of wood to identify the balancing point. The camper shell should be well balanced in the air with the car jack and wooden blocks. Make sure to use a rounded wooden back inside to avoid any damage to the camper shell.
Install the bolt, metal plate, washer, and D-ring hook
- Once you identify the balancing point, use a silver sharpie to mark the exact area on the inside. Lower the camper shell back to the ground and drill a hole from the bottom of the camper shell to the top.
- The hole should be drilled right in the center of the area that you marked. Insert the bolt through the hole that you drilled along with the washer and metal plate. Use a rubber washer on the roof of the camper shell from below.
- Apply silicon on top of the camper shell around the hole and install the D-ring. You will need help from a friend or family member for this particular step. Ask someone to hold the bolt from under the camper shell while you get the nut on top.
- Fix the D-ring properly and make sure that there are no gaps. Secure the nut to the top and wait for the silicon to dry.
Hook up the camper shell
- Now, you can bring down the hook and attach it to the D-ring. Once your camper shell is hooked up, you can use the hand wench to pull it up.
- Remember, to pull up the camper shell a little above the vehicle. The camper shell might rotate while pulling it up, but you can easily hold it down and stop it from rotating.
- You can easily reverse your truck and then with the help of the hand wench, lower the camper shell onto the vehicle. This is one of the easiest methods of building a camper shell hoist.
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a camper shell hoist?” We have discussed one of the easiest methods of building a camper shell hoist. We have talked about the required materials and guided you through this entire process. Let us know what you feel about this method in the comments section below.