How to build a camper dolly?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to build a camper dolly?” We will describe the steps to successfully build a camper dolly. We will describe the materials that are used for this project. We will also talk about the easiest method to build a leg for a camper dolly. You will be able to complete this project in less than one day.
How to build a camper dolly?
To build a camper dolly, you need to follow the steps described below.
- Build the axle
- Make a handlebar
- Weld the handlebar to the axle
- Build a leg
- Install a ball hitch
- Fix the wheels
- Pain the camper dolly
Build the axle
- To start this project, you will first need to build the axle. There are plenty of ways for you to start building a camper dolly. To build the axle, you will simply need to have a steel rod to get started.
- You can get a front axle from an unused garden tractor or something similar. A two-inch steel pipe should be good enough to build an axle.
- You can easily build the main frame with the help of a two-inch or four-inch steel pipe. A pipe that is hollow on the inside should be enough to get the job done. However, it is recommended to get a sturdy steel pipe for this project.
- You can also use alloy or steel as an alternative option. The pipe should be strong enough and it should not bend or break. It is also important that the pipe remains straight and there are no bends.
- The main frame is just a long rod that needs to be cut according to the right proportion. The length of this rod clearly depends on your preference. Some people choose to keep it long while some choose to keep it short. The usual dimensions can be around 40 to 45 inches.
- You can either use square or round rods for this purpose. Using square pipes is a good option since they are easy to weld.
- Next, you must cut a rod for the bottom which will hold the wheels together. This will complete the axle. Keep the axle rod a little bigger since you will be attaching the wheels along.
- The size of the axle also depends on the size of the wheels. Consider the types of wheels that you are using. To be on the safe side, you can cut the bottom rod to 20 inches.
- For the bottom rod, it is good to keep it around since it will be easier to attach the wheels. You will need to weld the bottom rod to the center of the main rod. Now your axle will be ready and it should look like the letter “T”.
Make a handlebar
- Next, you must build a handlebar to fix the body of the axle. For the handlebar, you can use the same steel or the same material that was used for the axle.
- Take the measurements of the handlebar and make sure that you cut it according to your preference. You can also get a handlebar from any old bike that is not in use. You can also make a handlebar with the help of steel tubing.
- There is no particular size when it comes to building a camper dolly. This is also applicable to the handlebar. You can have a wide handlebar or you can simply choose to have a small one.
- The ideal length for a camper dolly handlebar can be anywhere from 10 to 15 inches. Some people choose to keep it at a minimum of 20 inches.
- After cutting the handlebar to the preferred size, you will need to smoothen the edges and add protection at the corners. There are various types of handlebar grips for motorcycles and bikes. These grips can be used at the edges of the handlebar.
- Note that the handlebar should be smaller than the bottom rod or it should be of equal length.
Weld the handlebar to the axle
- Once you have the handlebar cut to the preferred dimensions and fitted with the grips, you can go ahead and weld the handlebar to the axle. Ensure to use protections while working on this project and consider contacting an expert if you have not worked with welding machines previously.
- Be sure to wear gloves and a welding mask while welding the handlebar to the axle. Mark the handlebar in the center and weld it exactly in the center to the other end of the axle.
Build a leg
- Your camper dolly will need to rest on the ground while not in use. Hence, you will need to build a leg to rest on the ground like a wheelbarrow. There are a few ways to go about this process, but we will look at the easiest method.
- You will need to attach the leg a little below the center of the axle so it can be placed correctly on the ground. To build a leg, you can go ahead and cut a rod that is a little lesser than one foot.
- Cut the rod on one end to a 45-degree angle. To the other end, add a rubber bumper that matches the rod.
- Weld the rod a little below the center of the main rod that holds the handles and the axle. Be sure to weld the part that you had cut to 45 degrees. The other part with the rubber bumper will be the end rest of the camper dolly on the ground.
Install a ball hitch
- Installing a ball hitch is a simple task since there are plenty of adjustable trailer hitch options that are available. These adjustable ball hitches can be simply fixed to the center of the axle with the help of a bolt and screw. You might need to drill a hole for this or you can purchase a single ball hitch and weld it to the axle.
- Ensure to weld the ball hitch to the center of the axle. You can use any trailer ball hitch for this process. Just be sure to have the right dimensions to match your camper.
Fix the wheels
- Next, you will be required to fix the wheels to the axle that you built. Fixing the wheels is a simple process since there are multiple options to choose from. You can consider using old wheels if you have any or simply purchase a couple of affordable ones online.
- Be sure to get the right wheels according to your choice. 10-inch solid rubber wheels should do a fine job. There are plenty of available options. While fixing the wheels, you will need to make sure that the axle is attached properly.
- Check the dimensions of the rod that is used as the axle and make sure that it matches the wheels. If you are unable to match the wheels, weld a small metal piece at the ends to suit the wheels.
Paint the camper dolly
- Now that the camper dolly is ready, you will need to give it a good coat of paint. Since you have been welding and joining iron or steel, it is recommended to paint the camper dolly.
- You can paint the camper dolly according to your preference or give it a color to match your camper.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to build a camper dolly?” We have described the steps to successfully build a camper dolly. We have described the materials that are used for this project. We have also talked about the easiest method to build a leg for a camper dolly.