How to boost a free WiFi signal in an RV?
In today’s blog post, we will answer the following question: How to boost a free WiFi signal in an RV? We will also explain how RV WiFi works and how to obtain a good and secure connection.
How to boost a free WiFi signal in an RV?
To boost a free WiFi signal in an RV, follow these simple tips:
- Look for the best option: The first thing to keep in mind is that we may have different options. You may be parked near a hotel or shopping centre, and there may be multiple WiFi networks available. Choose the one closest to you.
But beyond something as obvious as this, it would also be advisable to consult other nearby networks, even if they are not close to the establishment where we are. Sometimes we can be in a very crowded place and there is another public network available that can work better.
- Choose the correct band, if possible: Sometimes we can choose whether to connect to a Wi-Fi network in the 2.4 GHz band or the 5 GHz band. We already know that it is possible that we will notice an improvement in the speed and quality of the connection depending on the type of band we are using. that we connect.
Broadly speaking, we can say that the 2.4 GHz band is better to connect to networks that are further away. On the contrary, the 5 GHz band is ideal if we are close to the access point and we want the maximum speed.
- Use a suitable network card: Are you using a suitable network card? This especially must be taken into account when we are going to connect from a computer. Many users use the internal Wi-Fi card that comes with the laptop and it is not always the best option. If we can opt for an external card, which can be easily connected via USB, we can significantly improve speed and stability in many cases.
Therefore our advice is to observe this point well. If we have the possibility of connecting through an external network card, in almost all cases it will work better than the one that comes standard with the laptop, since it is usually more limited.
- Keep your system updated and clean: Of course, the operating system, as well as all the tools that we use to surf the Internet, have to be updated. In this way, we guarantee that it works correctly and we will also improve security.
We already know that vulnerabilities sometimes emerge that can be exploited by hackers to carry out their attacks. Thanks to patches and security updates we will be able to correct these problems.
It is also important to have the system free of viruses and threats. For this, we can choose to use security tools such as a good antivirus. This, to a greater or lesser extent, will also help improve Internet speed when connecting to a Wi-Fi network.
- Avoid limited networks for a while: Sometimes we can run into limited networks. Maybe they give us a limited time for free and then you disconnect. Typically these networks are also limited in speed. What they really want is that the user ends up paying or even sending advertising. Therefore, whenever possible the interesting thing is to avoid this type of network.
- Take a speed test to choose correctly. Have you chosen the best network you have available? For this, you can perform a speed test. We already know that nowadays it is quite common to find multiple networks available when we are in a public place such as a shopping centre or any highly frequented place.
Now, we may not know which connection actually offers the best speed. We can guide ourselves a little with the signal that comes to us, but this is only indicative and in no case does it guarantee that the speed will be the best.
In order to correctly choose the Wi-Fi network to which we can connect, we have the possibility of performing a speed test. Thus, in the event that, for example, we have to make a video call or any action that requires the best connection, we can choose which network to connect to.
The different methods to have WiFi in an RV
Internet access is a key element when travelling in a motorhome, van or campervan, especially for people who spend a lot of time on the road in their vehicle. There are several ways to have WiFi in a motorhome: this can be done through connection sharing, a 3G / 4G / 5G key, a 4G modem router, an antenna or via a public network.
- Internet access via mobile: The easiest and most economical option to have WiFi in a motorhome is to share the connection with a mobile phone. Connection sharing allows you to connect a computer, tablet, iPad or any other electronic device to your phone’s mobile network.
To be able to use connection sharing, you must:
- Have a telephone which has this system: all recent telephones have this option
- have a network, whether your phone has 3G, 4G or 5G: the quality of the network will depend on the speed of your connection
- have enough data on your telephone subscription (regardless of the operator)
To activate the Connection Sharing option on your mobile phone, you must:
- Go to “Settings”
- Click on “Wireless & Networks” or “Internet networks” or other depending on your phone model and Android or iPhone operating system.
- Go to “Internet Connection Sharing”
- You can choose between “Connection sharing via WiFi” or “Connection sharing via Bluetooth”. Choose the most suitable option according to your use.
- Activate connection sharing. You can choose your network name and a security password. Your device is now visible to other electronic devices.
- Connect your computer or tablet to this new network. Enter the password you have chosen or the one preset by your phone.
You are now connected!
Connection sharing is easy to use, economical and practical. The only downside is that it only allows one device to be connected at a time. It is therefore impossible to connect a tablet and a computer at the same time, which is not ideal when living together or travelling with the family in a motorhome.
2. Connect to WiFi via a 3G/4G/5G Key: To have WiFi access in your RV, you can invest in a 3G / 4G or 5G key. These connection keys are most often in the form of a USB key to be plugged directly into your computer. They require a specific subscription that you can get from an operator and a SIM that fits inside the key.
Once connected to an electronic device, the key will capture and connect to the 3G, 4G or 5G network like a smartphone.
The 4G key is an economical solution that allows several devices to be connected to the Internet simultaneously (generally 10 to 20). In terms of the price, it takes between 20 and 60 $ for a fast and good quality 4G key.
The 4G LTE 4G key is a good compromise. Its price is very reasonable, it is light and compact, but above all, it offers a high connection speed of 100Mbits/s.
3. Connect to WiFi using a router or a modem: To have WiFi in an RV you can invest in a wireless and portable 4G modem. It is currently the best RV WiFi amplifier on the market. This device works with a SIM card inside that connects to the available mobile network. Unlike the 3G / 4G / 5G dongle, it does not need to be connected to a computer to function, but you will have to remember to recharge it because it works on battery. All you have to do is turn it on using the On / Off button and connect your iPhone, tablet or iPad. Up to 30 devices can be connected on some models!
Operators offer high performance 4G routers. Orange offers a functional modem called Airbox, which has an autonomy of 12 hours and an LCD screen. It works with a micro-SIM card and can connect up to 16 devices.
The bottom line
The best way to have free WiFi in an RV is to connect to the public network. You can log in at the campsites where you are staying, in the restaurants, in the bars or in the laundrettes. To do this, you need to stay close to cities and not isolate yourself too much in nature. You can also choose to have a night pass in a motorhome area with WiFi.
While there are many methods to boost a free WiFi signal, the best method to get an internet connection in an RV is still through a paid and secure mobile network.
Do you agree with us? Please feel free to get in contact!
FAQ on How to boost a free WiFi signal in an RV?
Can you make your own WiFi antenna?
Yes, you can make your own WiFi antenna. Here is a summary of the steps:
- Prepare the base of your WiFi antenna
- Drill the box
- Solder the copper wire and connector
- Install the connector of your wifi antenna
- Prepare the elements for the front sensor of the wifi antenna
- Assemble the front sensor
- Place the front sensor of your WiFi antenna.
Do all camping sites have Wi-Fi?
More and more camping sites offer their customers Wi-Fi Internet, to allow them to stay connected with their loved ones, to listen to films or simply to keep up to date with the news or to consult an Internet map to plan the rest of their journey.
How to boost the internet speed in my RV?
If more than one person uses the internet in your RV, or if you notice that the signal is weak at times, you can purchase a cell phone booster. As its name suggests, this tech accessory amplifies the cellular signal to improve its power.
- How Can I Boost the Wi-Fi Signal in my RV? – YouTube
- How Do I Improve Wi-Fi Reception in My RV? – Everything About …
- Staying Connected on the Road: A Guide to RV WiFi – Togo RV