How to add drawers to an RV dinette?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How to add drawers to an RV dinette?” We will discuss the steps to add drawers to an RV dinette. We will also talk about the process and the required materials for this project. At the end of this post, you will get to know an easy method to add drawers to an RV dinette.
How to add drawers to an RV dinette?
To add drawers to an RV dinette, you will need to follow the steps described below.
- Clear the area under the seats
- Measure the area
- Build the drawers
- Install the drawer rails
- Install the drawers
Clear the area under the seats
- First, you will need to clear the area under the seats to start with this project. To add drawers to an RV dinette, you will need to make use of the area under the seat. An RV dinette is a small table with either benches or a small seating arrangement on either side.
- Since it is not a good idea to add drawers under the table, it is best to make use of the area under the seats. You can still choose to add drawees under the RV dinette table, but it can be inconvenient and also turn out to be a tedious task.
- To clear the area under the seats you will be required to remove the cushions and all the other accessories if they are any. You will be required to open up the top of the seat to get the right measurements. The top area is usually made of plywood and you will be required to cut it out and replace it later.
- Remove the wood from one side of the RV seats. RV dinettes are usually placed at corners and you will be required to remove the part that is easily accessible. Now, you should have the top and one side of the RV dinette seat open.
Measure the area
- Next, you will need to measure the available area that you have under the RV dinette seats. With the help of tape, you must measure the length, width, and height. Ensure that the measurements are taken accurately and note them down on a piece of paper if required.
Build the drawers
- Building the drawers is one of the most important parts and this requires concentration. You will need to build the drawers based on the measurements that you have taken.
- Remember that the most important part is that the drawers will need to be fixed exactly under the RV dinette seats. This means you will need to build the drawers about half an inch lesser on all sides from the actual measurements.
- The easiest way to start building the drawers is by using plywood since it has various benefits. Plywood does not swell and it is easy to construct.
- Cut the plywood into five different parts. You will need to have a base for the bottom of the drawer, two pieces for the length, and two pieces for the width.
- Add all the parts together and stick them with adhesive or small nails. Make sure that the height and width are the same. The drawer should ideally look like a rectangular box.
- Next, you will need to fix a handle on the box on one side. The handle will help you to pull out the box with ease. Before fixing the handle to the box, you will need to add another piece of plywood based on the same width for the outside.
- You can fix the handle on the outer wood and your drawer should be ready. There is no need to paint the inside since they are not visible.
Install the drawer rails
- The most important part is to install the drawer rails. It is not possible to pull out the drawers without installing the drawer rails. The drawer rails will need to be installed on the inside of the seat. This is where the top that you remove comes in handy.
- For the drawer rails, you can choose to add the steel ones or simply use a couple of 2-by-4s on each side to help slide the drawers.
- Either way, you will be required to install wooden or steel rails on the left or right side. Make sure that the rails are along the borders of the RV dinette seat. The height of the rail should also match the drawer that you build.
- There are plenty of drawer rails options that are available. Just make sure that the drawer rails stick up a bit and that there is enough space to hold the drawer in place.
- Repeat the same process for the other side of the RV dinette seat. Make sure to build both drawers to the same measurements. Follow the same process and install the handle on the end.
Install the drawers
- The drawers are now ready and you will need to add these drawers to an RV dinette. Once you have these drawers built, it’s pretty easy to install them. All you need to do is push the drawers at the bottom into the seat and make sure that they slide in properly to the end.
- The most important part to that there should be no gap at the end once the drawers are installed. The plywood with the handle should fit perfectly onto one side and there should be gaps or openings.
- You can also choose to have partitions in these drawers in required. For partitions, you will need to cut the plywood to the right dimensions and make sure that they are installed properly.
- Paint the side of the drawer that appears outside. Make sure to paint it the same color as the RV dinette seats.
- This is one of the simplest ways to add drawers to an RV dinette. These are under-seat drawers that are fixed to vacant spaces. You can also add drawers to the RV table, but you will be required to do a lot of work.
- This method is easy and it hardly takes time to get complete. You should be able to complete this project in just one day.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How to add drawers to an RV dinette?” We have discussed the steps to add drawers to an RV dinette. We have also talked about the process and the required materials for this project.