In this blog post, we will answer the following question: How old do you have to be to rent a camper van? We will explain how to rent a camper van legally in the US and how much it costs.
How old do you have to be to rent a camper van?
You have to be at least 25 years old to rent a camper van in the US. Although road trips are without a doubt impressive and something that we should definitely all do at least once before we turn 30, there may be some challenges to overcome if you are under 25 years old and do not have your own motorhome.
Most people do not realize that there are rules about who can legally obtain a rental permit until they have already started planning their vacations or getaways and then when it comes to picking up the motorhome they are negatively surprised that they cannot drive it due to an insurance coverage issue.
Even most people also have questions about what it takes to reserve and drive a rental motorhome.
Drivers are generally required to be at least 25 years of age before they are legally allowed to rent RVs, caravans or camper vans (there are some insurance companies that exceptionally allow 23 years). Of course, in addition to this, most rental companies will require you to have a valid driver’s license and a major credit card for the (damage) bond.
How to rent a camper van legally?
We have already seen one of the general and basic indications such as the minimum age to rent a motorhome. From here, it’s time to see what other requirements are required to rent this vehicle.
It should be noted that there may be certain differences between one rental company and another.
- Driving license: The driving license must be appropriate according to the type of motorhome to be rented. In the event that it is a vehicle less than 3,500 kilos, a type B license will suffice. Otherwise, you will need the C card.
If you are not a resident of the United States, the driving license must be an international driving license or approved for driving in the country.
- Minimum period: Most companies will request a minimum period of rental days. This period is usually a minimum of three days. It is mainly due to the expense of the vehicle’s own maintenance and revisions that must be made between one rental and another.
Unless otherwise stated, the mileage is usually unlimited.
- Making a reservation: When making the reservation, the vast majority request that 30% of the total rent be paid. This means that this forecast should be taken into account if the rental is made well in advance.
- Deposit: Like any other rental, a deposit is required when taking the vehicle. The deposit may vary depending on the model of the motorhome chosen. An average amount of deposit could be between 600 and 1000 dollars.
The method of payment of the deposit is usually the credit card and once the vehicle has been delivered, this amount will be reimbursed to the chosen card.
- The return: The motorhome must be returned in the same conditions in which it was rented. If there is any alteration or damage, it could affect the deposit itself that has been reserved.
Other questions you may be interested in
Is it legal to live in a van in Australia?
Is a camper van a good investment?
It is essential to know what the rental price includes and what does not. For example, one of the biggest doubts is fuel, which is not usually included. Check the rental contract about the fuel conditions. The document must specify what the price per litre is if it is delivered with less fuel than it had.
- Motorhome rental taxation: One of the common questions is what happens if you rent a motorhome as a self-employed person. What must be clear in these cases is whether it is your main economic activity or not. This means that, if it is used as a means of obtaining income, then yes.
We recommend that you take into account all these points above when setting a price for your motorhome rental.
How much does it cost to rent a camper van?
Most people spend around 719 dollars per person to rent a camper van during summer. 10% will allocate more than 3,000 dollars per person, while about 50% have thought about spending 1,000 dollars per person.
The option of renting a motorhome offers us a fun, economical and different option to travel, but how much does it cost to rent a motorhome?
The answer to this question varies depending on:
- The number of days of vacation enjoyment
- The time when we want to travel
- The destination or destinations to explore.
Here are the average costs of renting a camper van:
- Prices per day for 2, 3 and 4 seater camper vans:
LOW season from $98
MID season from $125
HIGH season from $45
- Prices per day for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 seat camper vans:
LOW season from € 105
MEDIUM Season from € 135
HIGH season from € 165
The bottom line
In short, the minimum age to rent a camper van in the US is 25 years of age or older. If you rent it in another country, these conditions may vary. Remember also that it is necessary to have at least 2 years old in the driving license. Fulfilling these requirements, it only remains to choose the motorhome and enjoy the trip.
If you have any questions, comments or tips on renting a camper van in the US, please let us know!
FAQ on How old do you have to be to rent a camper van?
How many years of license do you need to rent a motorhome?
You need at least two years of licence to rent a motorhome. The minimum rental of the motorhome will not be less than three days, having unlimited mileage. The tenant must be at least 25 years old to rent a motorhome. He must possess and present a valid driving license.
What do you know about renting a motorhome?
Before renting a motorhome, review these points:
- Take into account how much space you need.
- Compare prices.
- Check the equipment included.
- Check the validity of your driving license.
- Learn how to maintain your caravan.
- Find out about the “excess or excess” you pay and how to reduce it.
- Practice and measure it.
How much does it cost to rent a caravan?
In the middle season, the average rental price of an average vehicle up to 5 days would be about 734 dollars and 4,358 dollars for more than 16 days. In high season the average rental price of an average vehicle for up to 5 days would be about 1,350 dollars and dollars for more than 16 days.
What does it take to drive a motorhome?
Most of the motorhomes on the market weigh up to 3,500 kg of MMA (Maximum Authorized Mass, formerly known as PMA), so a type B license will suffice to drive them. For vehicles with a GVWR greater than 3,500 Kg, a type C license is required.