How much does it cost to move a park model camper?
In this blog post, we will discuss: How much does it cost to move a park model camper? We will explain what factors can influence the costs of moving a park model camper. We will also discuss other important details of moving a park model camper.
How much does it cost to move a park model camper?
It is practically correct to estimate the transport of a park model camper between $3 and $5/ mile, and for very short distances the professionals will offer you a package. The price will vary depending on the difficulty of the route and the route that will be necessary to take.
It seems a little simplistic to us to want to reduce the cost of this operation according to a percentage compared to the purchase price of the park model camper.
Let us take two examples:
- You do a good job and find a second-hand park model camper (430 sq ft) in excellent condition for the sum of $6,500 (Yes, yes it exists). You buy it from an individual and you have to move it several hundred miles to install it on a plot of a campsite that accepts your new home and does not require you to change your park model camper every ten years.
The carrier transports, reinstalls and asks you for the amount of $3400 including VAT.
- You buy a new top-of-the-range park model camper (430 sq ft) with all options, the reseller invoices you for the sum including all taxes of $42,000 The distance to be covered is almost the same. The moving company installs your new home and asks you for the sum including all taxes of $5700.
In the first case, transport will represent more than 50% of the purchase price while in the second we will be around 13.5%.
It is in absolute value that we must estimate whether the proposed price is interesting or not, despite a ratio of 50% the price proposed in our first example is in accordance with market practice.
It is practically correct to estimate the transport of a park model camper between 3 and 5 dollars per mile, for very short distances the professionals will offer you a package.
The price will vary depending on the difficulty of the route and the route that will be necessary to take. The transport of a park model camper is not an innocuous operation.
Can I move the park model camper myself?
A park model camper transport may seem expensive but it is supervised work requiring large means reserved for professionals only. As a general rule, this involves moving an indivisible mass of several tonnes with dimensions that do not allow traffic other than exceptional on the roads.
It is absolutely necessary to hire a professional for this type of transport, even for very short trips of a few miles.
The wheels and axle of a park model camper are only designed for movement inside the campsite or residential leisure park, they are only used for transporting onto the plot and for the various manipulations required for its setting and installation.
We strongly advise you not to attempt the adventure, in addition to a worrying meeting with the authorities you could end up spending much more than the savings you wanted to save.
It is generally accepted to say that the transport of park model campers is expensive and very often one quotes percentages according to the price of the camper.
You will very often see statements like 10 to 15% OF THE PRICE OF YOUR park model camper.
Moving a park model camper: by exceptional convoy
In the case of an exceptional convoy, the park model camper is placed on a trailer and towed by a truck.
A park model camper is a structure that measures more than 8 feet in width, whoever owns it must therefore move it by exceptional convoy. An exceptional convoy designates a transport of goods whose size and mass exceed the regulations of the Highway Code.
The exceptional convoy is subject to rather specific conditions:
- administrative authorization from the governor;
- a studied itinerary;
- imposed travel times;
- yellow lights at the front and rear;
- an adapted vehicle;
- an escort vehicle in certain cases;
- an “exceptional convoy” sign.
Moving a park model camper: a very variable cost
The park model camper transport tariff may change depending on:
- the service offered by the carrier;
- the size and mass of the park model camper;
- the distance to be crossed: transport is expensive mainly because of the cost of oil which continues to increase.
Overall, the park model camper transport tariff for transport companies amounts to around $5 per mile.
Moving a park model camper: installation, connection
Once the park model camper’s transport price has been determined and the park model camper has arrived at its destination, the latter must be set up.
If the park model camper location is not accessible by the truck, the transporter will need to request assistance from a crane, 4 × 4 or winch, at an additional expense.
Wedging is a delicate operation that should not be taken lightly, for two reasons:
- You must keep the mobility of a park model camper: the law requires that a park model camper can be moved by its four sides without its annexes being able to hinder it;
- The park model camper must have perfect stability: the wedging must be carried out at eight points to avoid any possible deformation of the structure.
Once the park model camper is installed and properly wedged, you will need to make the electrical connections, to the town’s gas and to the water network. This connection must be easily removable so as not to obstruct the movement of the park model camper.
The bottom line
You must take care of locating your park model camper in a place easily accessible for our truck, for example, a parking lot. Likewise, the delivery and unloading will be in a very accessible place so that you can pick it up. Above all, do not assume that the delivery takes place at its definite location.
Please let us know if you have any questions, comments or tips on how to improve this content.
FAQ on How much does it cost to move a park model camper?
Can I tow a park model trailer?
You can tow a park model trailer, but you must have a strong tow vehicle and some experience with towing heavy-loaded trailers. If you want to move your park model trailer from one campsite to another, or to private land, our advice would be to hire a moving company or someone specialized in towing large items.
How to find someone to tow my park model trailer?
To find someone to tow your park model trailer, start by using your favourite search engine and type “park model trailer transport”. If your operation is located in a region you can specify it in your search, otherwise, you can add “entire country”.
Can I move my park model to another site?
Yes, you can move your park model to another site, as they technically are motorhomes. It is strongly recommended that you consult your vehicle’s user manual to make sure that the gross vehicle weight rating does not exceed the capacity of your truck to pull the park model.
What is a park trailer?
A park trailer is designed for recreational purposes. A park trailer is not used for residential purposes but can be attached temporarily in the same way as a recreational / RV trailer with or without its axles and ties.
- The Cost of Moving a Mobile Home – What You Can Expect to Pay
- Need to move my Park Model RV… | The RV Forum Community
- The Complete Guide to Moving Your Mobile Home