In this short guide, we will answer the following question: How much does it cost to insulate a trailer? We will show you how much each insulating material costs, explain its advantages and disadvantages, and also discuss some of the benefits of insulating a trailer.
How much does it cost to insulate a trailer?
The costs to insulate a trailer will greatly depend on the area you must insulate. On average, you need to put aside between $5000 to $7000. Let’s see the factors that can influence the costs of insulating a trailer:
- How big is the area to be insulated?
- The nature of the insulation: each material is characterized by its insulating performance (whose thermal resistance is R). Depending on the desired efficiency and the R-value, you can define the thickness of insulation required for your trailer.
- Whether you must or mustn’t remove the floor of the trailer (for a renovation).
As a general rule, count between $15/10 sq ft for walls insulation and $25/10 sq ft for floor and roof insulation.
Insulating a trailer: costs breakdown
|Insulating material||Advantages||Disadvantages||Insulating power||Price|
|Glass wool||Very inexpensive, light and easy to install, excellent value for money||Not very ecological, average lifespan, prone to settling||from 0.032 to 0.046 W / (m.K)||15 to 25 $ / 10 sq ft|
|Rock wool||Relatively inexpensive, light, easy to lay, rodent repellents||Not very ecological, medium lifespan, prone to settling||0.033 to 0.044 W / (m.K)||15 to 25 $ / 10 sq ft|
|Coconut wool||Good sound insulation, long service life||Relatively expensive, distant production||from 0.037 to 0.047 W / (m.K)||25 to 30 $ / 10 sq ft|
|Linen wool||Water resistant, ecological, correct longevity||Easily Flammable||from 0.035 to 0.041 W / (m.K)||10 to 15 $ / 10 sq ft|
|Sheep wool||Ecological, resistant to humidity||Limited lifespan||0.035 to 0.045 W / (m.K)||20 to 25 $ / 10 sq ft|
|Hemp||Inexpensive, ecological and high energy performance||Not easy to install||from 0.039 to 0.060 W / (m.K)||10 to 15 $ / 10 sq ft|
|Cork||Very good sound insulation, flammable, resistant to insects||Rare, relatively expensive and fragile||from 0.037 to 0.041 W / (m.K)||20 to 25 $ / 10 sq ft|
|Wood||Long lifespan, ecological and good humidity regulator||Difficult to install, needs to be treated||from 0.036 to 0.046 W / (m.K)||15 to 25 $ / 10 sq ft|
|Polystyrene||Resistant, attractive price, and easy to install||Low ecological and flammable||from 0.027 to 0.040 W / (m.K)||10 to 20 $ / 10 sq ft|
|Polyurethane||Easy to install, good value for money, one of the best insulators on the market||Low durability, not very ecological and toxic in the event of a fire||from 0.022 to 0.028 W / (m.K)||10 to 20 $ / 10 sq ft|
|Cellulose wadding||Ecological, inexpensive and non-flammable||Subject to settling, delicate installation||from 0.038 to 0.042 W / (m.K)||10 to 20 $ / 10 sq ft|
|Exfoliated perlite||Long-lasting, non-flammable, insensitive to rodents||High price||from 0.050 to 0.060 W / (m.K)||15 to 25 $ / 10 sq ft|
How much is trailer wall insulation?
Insulating the walls, whether from the inside or the outside, will allow you to reduce heat loss, which represents between 20% and 25% of your energy consumption. By insulating your walls, you will therefore save a lot on your heating bills.
Wall insulation is a very good way to fight against energy loss in your home, but what is the price of wall insulation in 2021, which insulation and which system to choose (insulation from the inside or from the outside? )?
- Insulating the walls from the inside: Depending on the nature of the walls of your trailer you will have to pay special attention, unlike walls in cellular concrete, single wall bricks or wooden frames which are already very insulating.
If you go through a professional to carry out wall insulation work from the inside, you will need to count between 50 and 90 $ per 10 sq ft (this price range can indeed vary according to the type of insulation chosen, its thickness and the possible difficulties according to a certain configuration of your trailer.
Benefits of interior wall insulation:
- Increase in overall thermal performance and elimination of condensation on cold walls
- Less expensive to run than the exterior insulation solution
- The exterior appearance of your trailer will be preserved
- Realization is possible without a declaration of work.
- Insulating the walls from the outside: If you call on a professional in 2021 to insulate the exterior walls of your trailer, you will need to count between $ 90 and $ 150 per 10 sq ft, the price per 10 sq ft may change depending on the materials and finishes to be made.
Benefits of exterior insulation:
- A more efficient thermal envelope (less thermal bridging, more inertia, a trailer protected from the elements)
- A preserved living area, no decoration work to be redone inside your trailer
- A financial valuation of your trailer (reduction of your energy bill, an embellishment of your facade)
- No obligation to leave the accommodation during work.
How much is trailer roof insulation?
If you go through a professional to insulate your roof, know that these prices depend on the inclination of the roof, the presence or not of a window and the surface but also on the insulation you choose and of course on the specificity. of the site.
The average price for trailer roof insulation in 2021 will be:
- from 40 to 60 $ / 10 sq ft for 2 crossed layers of glass wool panels under crawling (panels, hangers, vapour retarder, and labour)
- Other materials such as wood or sheep wool or panels of cellulose wadding or cork … are also possible to insulate your roof (see our table)
- from 45 to 75 $ / 10 sq ft for panels made with rock wool with a thickness of 26 cm
- from 70 to 100 $ / 10 sq ft for panels made with 26 cm thick hemp wool.
The bottom line
There are many advantages of insulating your trailer, as you have (probably) read in this article. It is not a complicated process, it can be done quickly and with relatively low funds, but it will bring you so much comfort no matter the season.
Do you have any thoughts or comments about this subject? Please let us know!
FAQ on How much does it cost to insulate a trailer?
How to thermally insulate a caravan?
To thermally insulate a caravan you can use an asphalt blanket, aluminium adhesive felt, EVA thermal insulation or aluminized etalon. Coating the interior of the vehicle with these characteristics is what creates the insulating layer, helping to prevent heat from the exterior from reaching the interior of the vehicle.
How is the insulating membrane placed?
The role of insulation should be extended towards the highest part of the ceiling. Once the roll reaches the highest level of the ceiling, it must be attached to the structure. Once the insulation is fixed on the top of the roof, it should be aligned until it is parallel with the braces.
How do you insulate the underside of a static caravan?
Insulating the underside of a static caravan usually allows you to enjoy your mobile home during summer, autumn and spring. Still, insulating only the underside is rarely enough to keep warm in the caravan.
Should you waterproof a trailer roof?
Yes, you should consider waterproofing a trailer roof right after insulating it. The waterproofing process typically involves installing infill under your static to further reduce any form of air infiltration.