How much does an M101 trailer weigh?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How much does an M101 trailer weigh?” We will also discuss the features and specifications of the M101 trailer. Furthermore, we will talk about the best towing vehicles for the M101 trailer. At the end of this post, you will get to know all the details of the M101 cargo trailer.
How much does an M101 trailer weigh?
The M101 trailer weighs around 1300 pounds and is one of those versatile, lightweight trailers with off-road capacity. The M101 is known for its compact, sturdy, and strong construction. It is also known as a military trailer with exceptional features and potential. This trailer is perfect for those who love off-grid camping.
M101 trailer weight, dimensions, and key features
The M101 trailer is perfect for towing since it is fairly light. Any vehicle with a towing capacity of 2000 pounds can easily tow this trailer. However, it is important to calculate the trailer’s weight when loaded with cargo and other supplies. Here are some of the unique features and specifications of this trailer.
Dimensions and weight
- The dimensions of this trailer are decent, and it is perfect for those who want to make a short trip. The overall length of the trailer is 147 inches, and the overall width is 71.3 inches.
- One of the major advantages of this trailer that makes it perfect for off-roading is the chassis height. With a clearance of 30 inches, the chassis does not hit the ground easily.
- It is important to note that the maximum weight of the trailer is 3160 pounds, and the weight when empty is 780 pounds. When compared to all the other trailers of the same size, the M101 stands apart with these unique off-road capabilities.
- Surprisingly the M101 was manufactured between the 1950s and 60s. This trailer is designed to be towed by a 3/4 ton or larger truck. The M101 is a cargo trailer that has been widely used to transport cargo.
Body and frame features
- This is a single-axle trailer with two wheels. It has a sturdy welded steel box body bolted securely to the frame. The steel box is tough, and it can withstand any amount of load. The body is also equipped with a tailgate and specific mounting brackets designed for cargo racks.
- There is a frame that is conveniently situated for a tarpaulin cover. The M101 has a steel A-frame bolted and attached with a lunette. There are two hand brake levers to control the trailer along with the landing gear.
- The M101 was manufactured and used for military personnel. The military widely used it to carry cargo towed by the most common military vehicles. Some of the off-road features include tubeless tires.
- This trailer can be towed on any terrain under all climatic conditions. There are no restrictions for movement. However, it had a 15 mph speed limit when towed cross country.
Adjustable landing gear
- One of the main features of the M101 trailer is the adjustable landing gear. This landing gear is located at the front of the trailer and is convenient to hold the trailer when parked. The adjustable gear can be raised, lowered, and moved back to the storage position easily.
- It also has a provision to install a manual hydraulic cylinder. This will be an added advantage to pivot and dump.
Best towing vehicles for the M101 trailer
Due to the fairly decent weight of the M101 trailer, several vehicles are perfect for towing. Yet, it is important to consider vehicles with decent towing capacity to match the M101 when loaded. Below are some of the best towing vehicles for the M101 trailer.
- The Chrysler Pacifica is a perfect vehicle that has excellent towing capabilities. With a towing capacity of 3600 pounds, this vehicle is well-matched for the M101. The Chrysler Pacifica has a heavy-duty radiator that helps reduce engine strain. The latest model arrives with a 2.0-inch receiver and a 220-amp alternator.
Mercedes Benz Metris
- The Mercedes Benz Metris has an exceptional towing capacity of 5000 pounds. This vehicle can easily tow the M101 trailer without any strain. It is also affordable when compared to the other Mercedes Benz models.
- The Toyota Highlander is one of the best mid-sized SUVs, well-known for towing any trailer with a GVWR of below 5000. The Highlander has a solid towing capacity of 5000 pounds and a strong 3.5-liter V6 engine.
- The latest Subaru Outback has a towing capacity of 3500 pounds. The maximum cargo weight for the M101 is 3160 pounds. Hence the Subaru Outback is just right to load up the trailer and take it out for a drive.
- The Honda Pilot has a towing capacity of 3500 pounds and is decent enough for hauling. The all-wheel-drive system is one of the added advantages of this trailer. The Honda Pilot can pull any vehicle between the 3300 to 3500 range.
- The Kia Telluride falls under a towing capacity of 5000 pounds. This vehicle has a decent 3.8 liter V6 engine with 291 horsepower. Towing an M101 is easy with this comfortable vehicle. The Kia Telluride has an eight-speed automatic transmission perfect for front and all-wheel drive options.
- The Hyundai Palisade is the same as the Kia Telluride regarding towing capacity and other specs. The Palisade has the same engine, horsepower, and transmission that is compatible with front and all-wheel drive.
- One of the major advantages of both the Kia Telluride and the Hyundai Palisade is that they have the capacity for extra trailer brakes. The 5000-pound capacity is excellent for towing campers, hauling bikes, and other vehicles. The M101 trailer is an easy tow with the Hyundai Palisade.
Those were some of the best towing vehicles for the M101 trailer. These vehicles have an efficient towing ratio when compared to some models of the same type. The above-mentioned list has the right horsepower and towing potential. Any vehicle with a towing capacity of 3500 and above is perfect for the M101 trailer.
The M101 trailer is excellent for transporting cargo. There are a huge number of people in the US that use the M101 trailers for transport purposes. These trailers are known for their off-road capabilities and are perfectly designed for rough terrain. With a decent GVWR, the M101 is one of those handy and compact trailers.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How much does an M101 trailer weigh?” We have also discussed the features and specifications of the M101 trailer. Furthermore, we discussed the best towing vehicles for the M101 trailer. Have you seen an M101 trailer before? Let us know in the comments below.