In this article, we will discuss: How much can a 2021 Kia Soul tow? We will review the engine performance, towing capacity and driving experience of the 2021 Kia Soul.
How much can a 2021 Kia Soul tow?
The 2021 Kia Soul has an impressive towing capacity of 8,900 lbs, 147 to 201 hp with a starting price of just $17,590. The only two exceptions are the 2021 Kia Soul Si 2.0L and 2021 Kia Soul LX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6M) models, which have a lower towing capacity. See more details in the table below.
2021 Kia Soul Towing Capacity
|2021 Kia Soul Si 2.0L, ULP, 6 SP AUTO||2425 lbs|
|2021 Kia Soul LX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 6M)||NA|
|2021 Kia Soul LX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl CVT)||8900 lbs.|
|2021 Kia Soul S 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl CVT)||8900 lbs.|
|2021 Kia Soul GT-Line 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl CVT)||8900 lbs.|
|2021 Kia Soul X-Line 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl CVT)||8900 lbs.|
|2021 Kia Soul EX 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl CVT)||8900 lbs.|
|2021 Kia Soul Turbo 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)||8900 lbs.|
The 2021 Kia Soul: driving and towing experience
The Kia Soul is a small minivan that Kia has been selling since the beginning of 2009 and is in the B segment. The current generation has ingredients to be highly considered in the market.
Perhaps the external appearance that is so common in countries like Japan, Korea or the rest of Asia, is the main problem so that we do not see it so much on our roads, but many others, perhaps they like to have a model like this, with personality and that, If we are aware of the model we have, it can give us many satisfactions.
- Exterior design: Regarding the exterior design, the taillights remain vertical and elongated, covering the entire area of the side from both sides of the rear window to the end of the boot lid. In general, the design is similar to that of the first prototype of 2008 but adapted to the times, so it is quite focused on safety and a design that reduces consumption.
- Interior design: If we look at the external dimensions of the Soul, we can see that inside one has more space than might be expected. The cabin is of a higher quality design than in the previous generation Soul. It is clear that Kia and Hyundai have improved these aspects to compete as equals in the market. Something that drivers ultimately benefit from.
In the higher models, a touch screen can be seen with the infotainment systems as the main protagonists in the centre console, including the multimedia system of the South Korean brand.
If we go to the most basic finishes, the touch screen has five inches and in the upper ones, it becomes seven inches, where both have connectivity with mobile devices via Bluetooth.
Inside there is a considerable amount of space to have the measurements you have, benefiting from its box-shaped design. The Soul is able to maximize the headroom of its passengers, something that other cars with more rounded designs cannot say, where the space limit for high-rise passengers appears. If we go to the trunk, it has 354 litres. In short, spaciousness and a feeling of quality, in general, are quite good, at the level of its segment.
- Engine: Kia has taken care to have a range varied enough for her Soul. Until not long ago, the Soul had a diesel engine and a gasoline engine, two simple propellants, of around 130 horsepower and that were valid for the small minivan to move with a certain height on highways and roads, as well as around the city. In recent years it has been adding more engines to its repertoire.
- Gasoline engines: The Soul until now had as a representative of gasoline engines the 1.6 GDI of 132 horses, a quiet engine that was the top of the range of the 2014 model. Now Kia added the 1.6 T-GDI engine with which it is capable of reaching 204 horsepower – this engine is mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox.
- Diesel engines: The only diesel engine for the Soul remains the same as that available until now; the 1.6 CRDI with 128 horses. Although it is the most basic model, it has enough power and a fairly low consumption when compared to gasoline.
- Electric EV motor: Since 2014 there is its electric variant, which has an 11-horsepower electric motor and a battery that can last up to 212 kilometres. When you accelerate the car, it responds very well, so it is enough for overtaking on roads. The autonomy makes it a suitable car for walking around the city, as it cannot afford many joys on the road.
- Behaviour while towing: As for the behaviour, if we go to the specific driving terms, it is similar, if not identical to the 2014 model, since it was made with the same platform as the Ceed’d, a vehicle that has remarkable performance behind the wheel and a behaviour faultless on the road. The Soul has a higher height, less aerodynamics and is heavier, so we cannot ask for the same behaviour like this one.
The suspension is soft, which facilitates the comfort of the passengers, but it is also true that it has the necessary rigidity to avoid excessive body roll, quite a success if one takes into account that the vehicle measures more than five feet. height from the ground.
The bodywork is more soundproof than the previous generation and the steering rack is in a better position so that shocks are not transmitted to the wheels. Because of its drag coefficient, the consumption is worse than some rivals. In short, a comfortable car that performs well on the highway and in the city. The three driving modes that equip the Kia Soul are; Comfort, Normal and Sport.
- Towing Equipment: In the equipment section, it is where a Soul shines the most, which, as has been the norm in Kia for many years, tries to equip its vehicles as much as possible. We can say that the equipment levels of this vehicle are four.
The Soul differs somewhat from other models of the brand in terms of trim levels. The levels are Concept, Drive, Emotion and Sport, where the latter is the top of the range of the Korean manufacturer. In the case of the EV, it is a model that is marketed differently.
Without a doubt, the 2021 KIA Soul is an impressive minivan. It boasts a balance between quality feel, equipment, space, performance and style. Perhaps, the style that, although it emulates an SUV, does not make it such and ends up alienating some likely buyers (it is one of the few vehicles easily recognizable as a crossover).
Soul’s dynamic image is backed up by handling that genuinely surprises. One would think that being a crossover that dispensed with the turbo variant present in the past generation, everything would focus excessively on comfort. And no, luckily it is not.
The set-up results in a good balance. It filters well the imperfections of the road, although it has a slight hardness that, although not uncomfortable, lets us feel what is under the wheels.
Do you agree with us? Please let us know if you have any questions or comments about the content!
FAQ on How much can a 2021 Kia Soul tow?
Can a Kia Soul tow a small trailer?
A Kia Soul can tow a small trailer, but depending on the car’s manufacture year, it can tow more or less weight. A Kia Soul from 2017, for example, can tow up to 3300 lbs. (1500 kg); the 2019 model has a maximum towing capacity of 2884 lbs (1300 kg), and the newest 2021 model gets to 8900 lbs (4096 kg), as you will see in the table below.
Can you sleep in a Kia Soul?
Yes, you can sleep in a Kia Soul. But is it legal? Well, yes and no. Sleeping in the car is legal, although, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation, as long as you comply with the established regulations.
Is the Kia Soul a good car?
Without a doubt, the KIA Soul is a good car. It boasts a balance between quality feel, equipment, space, performance and style. Even, in some issues, it surpasses its theoretical older sister.
- 2021 Kia Soul Towing Capacity – CarIndigo.com
- 2021 Kia Soul: Features, Specs, Price
- 2021 Kia Soul Review, Pricing, and Specs – Car and Driver