How much can a 2014 Kia Sedona tow?
In today’s blog post, we will answer the following question: How much can a 2014 Kia Sedona tow? We will review the towing specs of the 2014 Kia Sedona, and suggest a few campers that can easily be pulled by the 2014 Sedona.
How much can a 2014 Kia Sedona tow?
The 2014 Kia Sedona has a 3.5 L V6 engine, 269 hp and can tow up to 1,000 lbs. We have to agree it is not a great towing capacity, but still, there are plenty of lightweight and minimalistic travel trailers that even the 2014 Sedona can pull with ease, as you will see in this article.
Exceeding the towing capacity of your 2014 Kia Sedona can be extremely dangerous. If not sure how much weight your car can tow, check in the vehicle’s book for the manufacturer’s suggestion.
If you don’t know how much weight to add to the camper, a good rule is to add an average of 550-1,000 lbs to the dry weight of your camper, that is the weight of the vehicle without any equipment, cargo, passengers or additional equipment.
2014 Kia Sedona Specs
|Type||3.5L V6, 60-degree 6-cylinder, aluminum block and heads|
|Valve System||DOHC, 4 valves/cylinder|
|Bore x stroke||92 x 87 mm|
|Horsepower (SAE net)||269 hp @ 6,300 rpm|
|Torque (SAE net)||246 lb.-ft. @ 4,500 rpm|
|Emission Control System||Three-way catalyst|
|Fuel Injection System||Multi-port electronic fuel injection|
|Fuel Requirement||Regular unleaded|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||19.8 gal. / 75 liters|
|Cargo (behind 3rd row)||32.2 cu. ft.|
|Cargo (3rd row removed)||80.1 cu. ft.|
|Cargo (2nd and 3rd row removed)||141.5 cu. ft.|
Remember the 80% rule
Fortunately, there is the famous “80% rule.” According to this, the weight of the loaded caravan must not exceed 80% of the car’s TARE. That is, if our car weighs 1000 kg when empty, the fully loaded caravan should not weigh more than 800 kg. There is a very useful tool to calculate this and many other interesting parameters: TowCar.
This wonder gives us the possibility to check the compatibility of our vehicle with the model of the caravan that we want, and calculate how suitable it is for the car in question. It is essential to have an approximate idea of which are the caravan models that best suit us according to the vehicle we have to tow it.
5 travel trailers that you can tow with a 2014 Kia Sedona
These five models that we are going to present, are ideal to start in the world of caravanning due to their minimalism, weight and price. Here are five travel trailers under 1,000 lbs, that you can easily tow with your 2014 Kia Sedona:
- The Caretta 1500: This teardrop model is one of the most sold mini trailers in the US. Its price starts at $8,950 + VAT, it offers the widest bed on the market, a convenient kitchen in the back and very useful storage areas to store the clothing.
It is designed for spontaneous, minimalist people who love sports and respect the environment. With an interior of 230 cm, equipped with vitro or gas cooker and refrigerator. As a novelty since 2020, you can customize the color of the trailer and they come with new blinds to take advantage of the maximum space.
- The CaravanCol: This type of trailer has a sleeping capacity of two people, has the advantage that it is are lighter and cheaper than the traditional campers. They are ideal for campsites, surfers, weekend trips, cyclists, etc.
Due to its striking design, it can also be used as a source of advertising for your business. Prices range from $6,000 to $11,000, all handmade and personalized.
- T @ B 320: This small caravan can be individually designed and offers space for sleeping and cooking in a small area. With a length of 517 cm and a width of 201 cm, this teardrop is ideal for romantic trips as a couple, you can choose the exterior style that you like the most between Basic, Metropolis, Mexican sunset and Offroad. The interior distribution has a dining room that converts into a double bed. Its price is around $12,000
- DROPLAND by Drop Campers: For most off-roaders, this Dropland mini trailer with a clean design and minimalist style is built to face any challenge. Available in 3 suspension configurations, its most extreme version is configured on an oversized frame that guarantees its resistance, it has a fully independent suspension system of springs and shock absorber, and 4 × 4 size wheels.
- Knaus sport & fun 480 QL: If what you want is a little more space but something compact and aerodynamic, Knaus has this 625 cm long model, with a maximum weight of 1300 kg, ideal for sports lovers who want to carry bicycles, surfboards, skis, etc.
With capacity for 4 people, it is equipped with a double bed, kitchen, dining room and bathroom, the sofa in the dining room becomes a bed. Its price is around $ 18,000.
Bonus suggestion (and our personal favourite): The Polydrop: This trailer weighs just 450 kg (990 lbs) and is developed by the architect and designer Kyung-Hyun Lew, who was inspired by the shape of the drop to create a trailer of about 730 lbs in weight, plus a tow hitch weighing just over 80 lbs, with which he went around for a year using it as a studio on wheels, moving it only with his wife’s car.
This is thanks to the wooden and aluminum frame, and to a cabin reduced to the essentials which can be accessed by opening butterfly doors that make it resemble, together with the distinctive signature, a sort of spaceship. Inside, the company has placed a mattress, LED lights and electric heating, all powered by a battery and a 12-watt solar panel. On the back, a space to install the kitchenette with two drawers and a shelf.
Kia Sedona is a strong offering in its segment, although it misses the lack of a few elements to make it a truly irresistible offering. The fact that it does not carry a forward collision alert leaves it a bit behind when it comes to a vehicle for the family.
There’s also the fact that the moment it arrives, it makes it look not so new next to a Honda Odyssey or Chrysler Pacifica. Recommendable? Of course, it is, but with the opportunity to improve in a couple of aspects to make it irresistible in front of its target market.
Please feel free to contact us should you have any comments, questions or tips for safely towing with a Kia Sedona.
FAQ on How much can a 2014 Kia Sedona tow?
How much can a 2006 Kia Sedona tow?
A 2006 Kia Sedona can tow up to 3,500 lbs, which is more than enough for most travel trailers, teardrop campers, pop-up campers or other lightweight RVs.
How much weight can a 2017 Kia Sedona tow?
A 2017 Kia Sedona can tow 4410 lbs. The 2017 Kia Sedona offers many attractive features for those looking for comfortable and enjoyable rides, as well as safe, easy-to-drive, yet powerful drives should they need it.
How much weight can a 2018 Kia Sedona tow?
A 2018 Kia Sedona can tow up to 3,500 lbs (1587 kg). If equipped with extra-towing equipment, hauling a trailer will be smoother and easier with your Sedona, no matter the pulling capacity.
How good is the Kia Sedona?
The Kia Sedona is overall a good car. The seats are quite comfortable, although it tends to bounce a bit going through bumps. The steering is artificial touch and allows you to drive the Sedona very intuitively as if it were a slightly smaller SUV.
Can a Kia Sedona pull a pop-up camper?
Yes, a Kia Sedona can pull a pop-up camper or any trailer that weighs below 3500 lbs. (1580 kg). While towing the engine response for the Kia Sedona tends to be good most of the time, gaining speed not very fast, but without stopping at certain points.
- Kia Sedona Towing Capacity – AutoPadre
- What Can a Kia Sedona Tow? – VEHQ
- 2014 Kia Sedona Review & Ratings | Edmunds