How much can a 2006 Camry tow?
In this article, we will answer the following question: How much can a 2006 Camry tow? We will review the 2006 Toyota Camry towing capacity, specs, engine and performance while towing.
How much can a 2006 Camry tow?
A 2006 Toyota Camry can tow up to 3,500 lbs, depending on the vehicle engine and version. This makes the Camry great for towing recreational vehicles (such as ATVs, snowmobiles or motorcycles), but small and compact campers such as Scamp or Casita trailers, pop-up campers, and other lightweight travel trailers.
|2006 Toyota Camry||Specs||Towing Capacity|
|Altise||2.4L, ULP, 5 SP AUTO||2645 lbs.|
|Altise||2.4L, ULP, 5 SP MAN||2645 lbs.|
|Altise Limited||3.0L, ULP, 4 SP AUTO||2645 lbs.|
|Altise Limited||2.4L, ULP, 4 SP AUTO||2645 lbs.|
|Altise Limited||2.4L, ULP, 5 SP MAN||2645 lbs.|
|Altise Sport||3.0L, ULP, 4 SP AUTO||3527 lbs.|
|Ateva||2.4L, ULP, 5 SP AUTO||2645 lbs.|
|Azura||3.0L, ULP, 4 SP AUTO||3527 lbs.|
|Grande||2.4L, ULP, 5 SP AUTO||2645 lbs.|
|Sportivo||2.4L, ULP, 5 SP AUTO||2645 lbs.|
|Sportivo||2.4L, ULP, 5 SP MAN||2645 lbs.|
2006 Toyota Camry Specs
|Drive Type||Front wheel drive|
|Combined MPG||24 mpg|
|Drive Type||Front wheel drive|
|Fuel & MPG|
|Combined MPG||24 mpg|
|EPA Mileage Est. (Cty/Hwy)||21/30 mpg|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||18.5 gal.|
|Fuel Type||Regular unleaded|
|Range In Miles (Cty/Hwy)||388.5/555.0 mi.|
|Base Engine Size||2.4 l|
|Base Engine Type||Gas|
|Cam Type||Double overhead cam (dohc)|
|Horsepower||154 hp @ 5,700 rpm|
|Torque||160 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm|
How good is the 2006 Camry for towing?
One of America’s most beloved midsize sedans, the Toyota Camry was well known for its reliability, as well as its practicality with enough room for 5 occupants. In addition, the Camry was equipped with a powerful V6 engine which made it fun to drive and easy to tow!
The Camry was offered with three trim levels: base CE, LE, and the top end, XLE. Excluding the base version, higher versions could be fitted with a 3.0-litre V6 engine developing 200 hp.
Inside the Camry’s cabin, everything has been placed intuitively, giving the interior a clean and functional design. There was plenty of storage space available, with large bins in the doors, bins on the dashboard and a deep centre console. Front cupholders were also available.
The Camry came standard with side airbags, traction control and ABS on LE and XLE trim levels equipped with the V6 engine. In addition, a JBL sound system, leather upholstery and an electric sunroof were available.
Although loved, the Camry was an expensive car, as the base finish didn’t offer much. If customers wanted basic options like air conditioning and power windows, a keyless entry system, or power sunroof, they had to buy the Value Package.
The family sedan, with all the options available, had a steep price tag, but there was no shortage of buyers.
If towing with a 2006 Camry, we have one thing to say: It is essential to respect the towing capacity of the vehicle hitch, that is the total weight and tongue load. Equally important is the proper functioning of the lights. A rental agency or specialist will provide you with information or inspect it.
Before hitting the road, do a test drive in a parking lot, as cornering, braking, accelerating, and reversing are all done quite differently. On the road, keep a greater distance from the vehicle in front and reduce cruising speed. Parking at a campsite can become… nightmarish! Remember that blind spots are greater and the use of turn signals is no longer an option.
Typically, front-wheel drive vehicles have less power than rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicles. Here is an overview and some figures for guidance.
How to install a trailer hitch on a Toyota Camry
The Toyota Camry is a middle-class car that comes standard with a four-cylinder, cross-mounted engine. You may have extra cargo space on your Camry, and installing an aftermarket trailer hitch will allow you to tow a small trailer and expand your vehicle’s cargo-carrying capacity.
One-pull installation is facilitated by the factory-drilled holes in the landing gear, but some drilling is required in the trunk manifold for hitch installation.
- Open the trunk lid and lift the mat off the carpet. Loosen the thumbscrew and remove the spare tire from the well at the bottom of the trunk compartment.
- Lubricate the rubber hooks of the penetrant leak. Wait on the muffler with one hand as you slide the bracket out of its mount with an exhaust hook removal tool – available where automotive tools are sold. Lower the muffler and you should set it aside.
- Remove the plastic rivets that hold the lower part of the bumper protector plate to the lower part of the trunk tray, with a flat screwdriver. Remove the plastic cover from the bottom of the trunk manifold in the same way -. If your Camry is equipped.
- Locate the metal bracket attached to the rider frame stringer and the sheet metal end panel. Remove the bracket retaining bolts with a socket and ratchet wrench. Remove the mount from the car. Note that the now empty screw holes of the end panel will be used to mount the hitch.
- Lift the hitch to the bottom of the car and line up the vertical mounting holes with the existing solder-on nuts on the metal end panel sheet of the car. Place taper or lock washers – depending on hitch manufacturer – on hitch mounting bolts. Thread the screws through the mounting holes in the hitch and into the welded-in nuts in the end panel. Finger tighten the bolts.
- Use a power drill and bore a ½-inch hole through each of the two forward horizontal mounting holes on the hitch and on the bottom of the trunk manifold from under the car. Scrape the foam rubber material away from the vicinity of the holes with a metal putty knife from inside the trunk.
- Insert two-bolt blocks through the two remaining hitch mounting bolts. Insert the bolts through the holes on the inside of the trunk. Place the washers and nuts on the threaded ends of the bolts that protrude through the bottom of the trunk and through the two mounting holes in the front hitch.
- Tighten all bolts and nuts with a torque wrench to the torque specified by the hitch manufacturer – typically between 40 and 80 pound-feet.
- Mount the new spare tightly inside the trunk and close the trunk lid. Lift the muffler and hold it in position with one hand while working the rubber suspension back onto the metal bracket with the other hand. Push the plastic rivets into place to secure the rear bumper. Do not install the plastic cover on the trunk tray, if your car was equipped for it.
Towing with a 2006 Toyota Camry: Conclusions
With a long and glorious tradition behind it, the Toyota Camry has been completely renewed by becoming part of the range of hybrid engines of the Japanese company. In this sense, it ranks as a singular model in the current automotive panorama and is proposed as a “green” alternative that could make happy those motorists looking for a traditional three-volume, not necessarily premium, but still respectful of the environment.
Do you agree with us? Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments on the content.
FAQ on How much can a 2006 Camry tow?
How much can a 2002 Toyota Camry tow?
A 2002 Toyota Camry can tow up to 3500 lbs, which means it will perform great in pulling a small pop-up camper, travel trailer, boat, or even a snowboard.
How much can a 2003 Toyota Camry tow?
Depending on the car specifications, a 2003 Toyota Camry can tow up to 3500 lbs. While towing with a 2003 Camry, always remember that the vehicle is carrying extra weight. Give cars in front of you extra room so you have enough space if you need to brake hard. Test your towing skills in both drives and reverse gears in a parking lot before towing on the main road.
Can a Camry tow a pop up camper?
Yes, a Toyota Camry could easily tow a pop-up camper, as they weigh only about 300 kilograms (650 lbs). Still, keep in mind that towing can be dangerous if you don’t take it seriously.
Can I tow with a Camry Hybrid?
You can tow with a Toyota Camry Hybrid, but its towing capacity is very small (400 kg/880 lbs), thus it will be able to tow only a small camper, very lightweight boat or jet ski. You must ensure you do not exceed the towing capacity of your Camry, as you may damage the vehicle.
- 2006 Toyota Camry Towing Capacity | CarsGuide
- Toyota Camry Towing Capacity | CarsGuide
- 2006 Toyota Camry Review & Ratings | Edmunds