In today’s article, we will answer the following question: How many RVs can you have per acre? We will then guide you in the process of opening your RV Park and give you a few essential tips on the management of this kind of business.
How many RVs can you have per acre?
In the US, you must have a maximum of 15 RVs per acre, but the number varies across states. Nonetheless, the number of RVs per acre is usually between 10 to 15 RVs.
You can see some examples below of RV Park’s use of spaces:
|Name of RV Park||Number of RVs spaces||Number of RVs per acre|
|Lakeside RV Park||157 RV spaces on 35.3 acres||4.45 RVs per acre|
|Pahrump Station RV Park (Best Western)||162 RV spaces on 12.43 acres||13.03 RVs per acre|
|Nevada Treasure RV Resort||202 RV spaces on 16.6 acres||12.17 RVs per acre|
|Preferred RV Resort||284 RV spaces on 22.1 acres||12.85 RVs per acre|
Besides complying with the maximum number of RVs per acre, you must also know that the minimum RV park size is five net acres and the minimum required area per RV is 900 square feet.
Thinking of creating and managing an RV park?
An RV park is an interesting alternative for those who wish to escape large concentrations and do not want to resign themselves to compulsory camping.
Offering a private service area can be the opportunity for additional income for a large category of the population: farmers, craftsmen, retirees, and more generally anyone sympathetic to the world of motorhomes.
The only conditions are: to have the land that can accommodate at least one vehicle and to be available … This is what we will see in detail.
Administrative procedures for opening an RV Park
First, it is necessary to check in the town hall if they do not prohibit the establishment of an area. The regulations for the creation of a service area by an individual can be likened to that of a rural or farm camping site, which limits the number of crews and parking spaces to six.
You must ask the mayor’s authorization and submit a plan with the connection details (water, electricity, sewerage).
For campsite managers, they can create a service area without special authorization. This must be located at the entrance to their land and provided that the number of pitches does not exceed 10% of all pitches on the land. Each location on the ground must be stabilized and have a minimum surface area of 35m². The duration of parking is limited to one night, renewable if necessary.
Technical recommendations for opening an RV Park
Before embarking on the creation of a private service area intended to accommodate motorhomes, it is essential to know the technical constraints related to this project:
- Clean water supply: You need a clean, potable water supply. This is delivered by means of a standard or quarter-turn tap to which the user can connect his hose. The space between the tap and the ground (or a water receiver) must allow the operation of a jerry can type container (20 to 30 litres) intended for users wishing to fill a portable tank.
The clean water supply point must not be used for any other purpose: vehicle washing, dishes, laundry, toilet cassette rinsing, etc. Under no circumstances should a flexible connector be left in place that could be soiled in any way (dust, sludge, excrement, etc.).
- Wastewater and WC emptying: You need a connection to the main sewer connected to a purification system. Chemical toilets should never be emptied into a septic tank. If you cannot provide this service, make it explicit to visitors before they park. Find out about the surrounding emptying possibilities and, if necessary, inform your visitors.
The wastewater must be emptied into a suitable receptacle or in a concrete area with an outlet. This area must be large enough for the motorhome to position its drain valve. The platform should be wide enough, as the valves can be located on the left or right of the vehicle.
If the drainage pipes are not connected to a wastewater treatment plant, it is compulsory to build a sealed pit intended to receive only the black water from the chemical toilets. This will then be emptied regularly by a professional company.
- Waste management: Provide a bin with a lid to protect it from animals, which will be emptied regularly.
- Electrical connections: Electrical connections must be made from a secure distribution box with standard protection against overvoltages and leakage currents (differential circuit breaker). The connection terminal must be sheltered from the elements. Modern construction site bollards are a good example of security equipment.
The services offered at an RV Park
You have to think in advance of the various services that you can offer and that would be interesting arguments to attract visitors.
- Internet access: It may be a home computer left on hand. It can be freely accessible or at fixed times. The ideal is to provide WiFi access. You can program your access to filter the ports used and prohibit abusive uses (illegal downloads ..;).
- The picnic area: Indicate whether you provide a barbecue area. This must be kept away from vehicles and more generally from any equipment that could catch fire.
- Access to the swimming pool: Access to the swimming pool is really an interesting service, especially in very hot weather. This must be equipped with safety alarms (risk of accidents with unsupervised children).
- Washing machine: Indicate whether you allow visitors to do laundry troubleshooting. No need to provide professional equipment.
- Tumble dryer: On bad days, this is the essential equipment for drying laundry.
- Bike loan (s): It may be of interest to visitors who have not taken theirs and wish to visit the region without using their vehicle. Inform your visitors about points of interest. To do this, obtain a set of information brochures from the local tourist information office.
The bottom line
Creating and managing a private service area cannot be improvised. You must know the rules and comply with the law in your state. If you are thinking about creating a private service area because you are financially cornered and it is your last resort, forget it. A service area is not profitable as the sole source of income.
There will be days without a visitor. There will be some dissatisfaction. But in the end, it will certainly be a moral enrichment and the satisfaction of having been able to render a real service.
Please feel free to share your thoughts or tips on creating an RV Park. Or, why not, share your best experience in an RV Park with our other readers. We are curious too!
FAQ on How many RVs can you have per acre?
What is the average size of an RV lot?
The average size of an RV lot is usually nine feet wide by 18 feet long (the full size of a truck).
Are RV lots a good investment?
RV lots are a good long term investment. That is, you have to have patience and do not invest your last resources in this land. In time, it will pay off!
What size RV can park anywhere?
12-inch length RVs can park almost anywhere in the United States. This is almost the ideal length of a motorhome.