How long will a 2.7 EcoBoost engine last?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How long will a 2.7 EcoBoost engine last?” We will list the specifications of the 2.7 EcoBoost engine. We will also discuss the tips to maintain the 2.7 EcoBoost engine. Furthermore, we will describe a few common problems that are present in the 2.7 EcoBoost engine.
How long will a 2.7 EcoBoost engine last?
The 2.7 EcoBoost engine can last up to 200k miles. With proper maintenance, you can add more miles to the engine. EcoBoost engines are produced by Ford and they are tough engines that are built to last for years. These engines have efficient combustion and they are turbocharged to deliver power and torque.
The 2.7 EcoBoost engine has fuel economy results and superior combustion. They are gasoline-powered engines with outstanding performance. The biggest advantage of the 2.7 EcoBoost engine is the capacity to deliver 20 percent better fuel efficiency. It has a great combination of power and mileage. Here are some of the EcoBoost engine specs listed below.
2.7 EcoBoost engine specs
The 2.7 EcoBoost engine is a V6 engine and is one of the most common and widely used engines manufactured by Ford. These are the key specs of the 2.7 EcoBoost engine.
- Torque – 400 lb.ft @ 2,750 rpm
- Horsepower – 325 @ 5,750 rpm
- Estimated Fuel Economy – 20 miles per gallon (city) / 26 miles per gallon (highway)
- Max payload capacity – 2,470 pounds
- Max towing capacity – 9,100 pounds.
- Individual cooling jets
- Fractured main bearing caps
- Offset I-beam connecting rods
- Aluminum cylinder heads
- Engine mounted cartridge style oil filter for easy service
- Automatic start-stop technology
- Compacted graphite iron engine block
- Highly compression ratio
- Water-cooled exhaust manifolds
- 10-speed automatic transmission.
Those were some of the key specifications of the 2.7 Ford EcoBoost. The 2.7 EcoBoost engine became common in most Ford F-150 applications. The automatic start-stop feature was introduced in 2018 and it soon became one of the best options for towing and hauling. The 2.7 EcoBoost soon became one of the best V6 engine models.
Tips to maintain the 2.7 EcoBoost engine
Maintaining the 2.7 EcoBoost engine is the only way to help you get the most life out of your vehicle. The 2.7 EcoBoost engine is perfect for a powerful truck but maintenance is the key to a long-lasting life. Here are a few tips to maintain the 2.7 EcoBoost engine.
Replace the engine air filter
- The engine air filter is a vital part of the engine and it needs to be replaced every 30,000 miles. The air filter keeps away debris, dust, and other harmful particles from entering the engine. Be sure to replace the engine air filter once you across 30,000 miles
Change the oil and filter
- The engine oil and filter help your vehicle to run smoothly. You must change the oil and filter. Ensure to change the oil and filter after the first 10,000 miles. After which, you are required to change the oil and filter every 3,000 to 7,500 miles.
Replace the accessory drive belt
- The accessory drive belt replacement should take place every 150,000 miles. The accessory drive belts are used to drive the accessories that run off the front of the engine. These bets are responsible for using the engines to drive the power to the steering pump.
Replace the spark plug
- Replacing the spark plug is a common practice but most people forget to do this. The spark plug should be replaced every 100,000 miles to ensure that there are no issues that come up with the engine.
Change the transmission fluid and filter
- The transmission fluid has a lot to do with the engine and its functions. The transmission filter and the fluid has to be changed every 150,000 miles to ensure the smooth functioning of the engine and the transmission.
Replace the engine coolant
- The engine coolant has to be replaced first after 100,000 miles. The engine coolant can evaporate over time since they are not airtight. On the other hand, the coolant has to be replaced since it can deteriorate after a long time. Be sure to change the coolant every three years after the first replacement.
Replace the rear axle fluid
- The axle fluid is equally important for the engine to function properly. The rear axle fluid must be replaced every 150,000 miles. Maintaining the engine of any vehicle is important and the same goes with the 2.7 EcoBoost.
With the above tips, the 2.7 EcoBoost is sure to last you for 200k miles or even more. Maintenance is key and you need to replace or change the required parts to help your engine to function properly. Be sure to take your vehicle to a mechanic every three months for a general check.
Common problems with the 2.7 EcoBoost engine
Although the 2.7 EcoBoost is one of the best V6 engines, it also has a few common problems. Not all engines are perfect and there are bound to be a couple of issues. However, it is always good to know these issues to help you maintain your engine better. These are some of the common problems with the 2.7 EcoBoost engine.
- The most common problem with the 2.7 EcoBoost engine is the carbon build-up. All engines experience some carbon build-up but it was more evident in the 2.7 EcoBoost.
- Some of the symptoms of carbon build-up are rough idling, power loss, stuttering, and misfires. Inconsistent airflow into the cylinder can result in engine misfires.
- The good news is that Ford looked into this issue with their second generation 2.7 EcoBoost engines. These engines were port injected to address this issue and the models after 2017 had a significant change.
- Fixing carbon build-up for a 2.7 EcoBoost can cost you around $400 to $600. Walnut blasting is one of the best ways to get rid of common carbon build-up.
Oil pan leaks
- Yet another common issue is oil pan leaks. Since the oil pans are made from plastic, there have been several complaints of oil pan leaks. These complaints are more prominent in the 2015-2017 models.
- Plastic can expand due to the heat and this can lead to oil pan leaks. The good news is that Ford managed to fix this issue after their 2017 EcoBoost models.
- When it comes to fixing these leaks there is nothing much that can be done except for replacing the faulty oil pans. Replacing an oil pan is expensive and it can cost up to $500.
Spark plugs and ignition coil problem
- Spark plugs and ignition coil issues have also been a common problem with the 2.7 Eco Boost engine. These issues were said to be common due to the nature of the turbo engines. Turbochargers put a lot of stress on the ignition parts due to high pressure from the cylinder.
- These are common problems that are present in most engines and the spark plugs and ignition coils need to be replaced from time to time. However, the 2.7 EcoBoost engine required these components to be replaced sooner than expected.
- Some of the common symptoms of these issues are misfires, rough idling, power loss, and the check engine light.
You will need to look at the fault codes to know which cylinder is misfiring. Spark plugs and ignition coil problems are similar and they might be hard to determine. It is advised to get in touch with an expert to fix these issues. The best way is to take your vehicle for regular checks. Doing this every three to six months will help you determine if there are any issues.
Those are some of the common issues that are present with the 2.7 EcoBoost engine. However, these issues were more prominent in the first variant. In time, Ford rectified these issues and enhanced its overall performance for the 2.7 EcoBoost engine. Among all the V6 engines, the 2.7 EcoBoost is one of the best and most commonly used engines.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How long will a 2.7 EcoBoost engine last?” We have listed the specifications of the 2.7 EcoBoost engine. We have also discussed the tips to maintain the 2.7 EcoBoost engine. Furthermore, we have described a few common problems that are present in the 2.7 EcoBoost engine.