How long does a 4.5 kg gas bottle last?
In this article, we will answer the following question: How long does a 4.5 kg gas bottle last? We will examine the autonomy of gas cylinders in recreational vehicles. We will also give you advice on how to make the best of it.
How long does a 4.5 kg gas bottle last?
A 4.5 kg gas can last you up to two-three days of camping, or 8 hours of continuous use. However, the autonomy of a gas cylinder depends on several parameters, in particular the expected consumption and the power of the connected devices. Focus on these two elements when estimating the lifespan of your 4.5 kg gas bottle.
To estimate the lifespan of a gas cylinder, it is possible to rely on consumption ratios depending on the number of people in the RV. Here are some examples :
- 3 to 4 people will use about 3 bottles of 6 kilos per season just to cook in the RV.
- If using a gas heater in the RV, you will need an additional 3 bottles of 13 kilograms of gas per season.
- A household of 5 or 6 people will need a 35-kilogram gas cylinder to heat their RV and cook for one season.
This consumption is to be calculated according to the volume of the container. Indeed, a 13 kg gas cylinder will be empty much less quickly than a 4.5 kg cylinder!
How to extend the life of a gas cylinder?
Although the consumption of equipment is the main factor to consider, other elements can come into play in the conservation of gas, propane or butane cylinders.
- A gas cylinder has no expiration date: the gas contained is unalterable. And if stored properly, the life of a gas cylinder can be very long. Among the main storage criteria, it is necessary to:
- Store the gas cylinder vertically, in a stable manner;
- Store it in a dry place, away from any source of heat;
- Keep it out of the reach of children.
Note: the storage of propane gas cylinders is prohibited indoors.
- A few parts should be checked occasionally so as not to see the lifespan of your gas cylinder decrease:
- The supply hose, to be changed every 5 to 10 years if it is rubber;
- The regulator, to be replaced every 10 years at most after the date of purchase.
How to estimate the lifespan of an RV gas cylinder?
It is difficult for many suppliers to communicate exactly on the lifespan of their product because it often depends on the uses to which it is put. However, it is possible to give orders of magnitude. Each gas cylinder is intended to be connected to an appliance that cannot be supplied by another energy source such as electricity, gas tanks or natural gas networks, which supply permanently, in a continuous and at the request of their customers.
To estimate the lifespan of a gas cylinder, two variables must be taken into account:
- The power of the device to which the gas cylinder is connected, each with its own energy properties. Some devices, therefore, consume more gas than others (such as boilers, for example) and will tend to reduce the life of the gas cylinder more quickly.
- The frequency and duration of use of these devices. Some companies offer you one click to buy and have your gas cylinder delivered to your home in 24 hours or to choose your delivery slot 6 days a week from Monday to Saturday morning. This could be of great convenience!
How do you know how much fuel is left in the gas cylinder?
The most efficient way to find out how much gas is left in your cylinder is to weigh it. By knowing the weight of a full bottle, we can estimate the amount of gas remaining in view of its weight.
For example, Antargaz’s 13 kg butane gas cylinder weighs 24 kg full and contains 13 kg of butane. Its empty weight is therefore 11 kg. If during the weighing its weight is 17.5 kg, it means that the bottle weighs its empty weight (11 kg) plus 6.5 kg of butane. It is therefore half empty.
Another solution to measure the remaining gas is to measure its temperature. Indeed, a gas cylinder is much cooler when it is full of gas than when it is empty. Finally, there are measuring instruments that represent the most precise solution.
The criteria for choosing a gas cylinder
With the different gas cylinders offered by LPG suppliers, the choice is wide. To choose the right gas cylinder, you have to ask yourself the right questions. There are no real rules for making the right choice because it depends on the needs of the consumer himself:
- Use: the different gas bottles adapt to many uses, from simple cooking to heating the house, including gardening. The choice of the cylinder will then depend on the use: indoor or outdoor, permanent or occasional, etc. ;
- The size of the cylinder: there are different gas cylinders in terms of capacity. The cylinders can range from 5 kg to 35 kg. It will be necessary to choose according to its consumption, which can be determined by the number of people in the household, or the number of devices to be supplied.
For a gas stove, for example, a 6 kg butane cylinder may suffice, while for a household using the cylinder for hot water, heating and cooling, a large 35 kg propane cylinder is recommended;
- The device: connecting a gas cylinder requires a regulator, which is different for butane and propane. Usually, this regulator is supplied with the device purchased by the consumer and simply determines which gas cylinder to purchase.
For campers, the gas cylinder is the most practical solution. The caravans and camper vans are also equipped with spaces dedicated to gas cylinders. The consumer can choose a 13 kg gas cylinder or two connected with a reversing coupler, depending on the length of the vacation.
Tips to reduce the costs and reduce gas consumption in an RV
Gas is a necessity for most campers and RV owners, it’s one of the biggest budgets when going on vacation. To save gas, try some of these tips:
- Refill instead of exchanging it: When you run out of gas, you have the choice of refilling your bottle or exchanging it for a new one. Refilling is a great way to save money, as it is usually the most affordable option. However, keep in mind that all gas cylinders have an expiration date, so always exchange them on time. Also, exchange your bottle if you notice any damage or malfunction.
- Plan preventive maintenance: A damaged gas cylinder can be expensive. The best way to avoid possible damage is to perform regular visual inspections of your cylinder, both during operation and while filling.
- Insulate your caravan: If you use propane to heat your caravan ime to properly insulate it. Pay special attention to areas where cold air may enter, such as around doors and windows. The better your motorhome is insulated, the less gas you will consume to heat it, and the less problem your refrigerator will have to keep cold.
FAQ on How long does a 4.5 kg gas bottle last?
How much propane does it take to heat an RV in the winter?
The average sized-RV heater would use ⅓ of a gallon of propane/hour to heat an RV in the winter. Most RVs use 20 lbs or 30 lbs propane tanks, which would last you for 10, respectively 16 hours of continuous use.
How do you know when gas bottles are running out?
When a gas bottle is running out of fuel, the tare disk will show you that the bottle is empty. This is the best way to check on how much gas is left in the cylinder.
How to increase the autonomy of a gas cylinder?
In order to increase the autonomy of your gas installation, it is possible to network several gas cylinders together using a reversing coupler. This system makes it possible to switch automatically from one gas cylinder to another.
How many units of electricity does a caravan use?
How many units of electricity your caravan will use depends on a series of factors. The average consumption in an RV park for example is typically 20 kWh a day, but again it will all depend on the circumstances.
How long can a 6Kg gas cylinder last in an RV?
A 6Kg gas cylinder can last you up to 12 hours of continuous use in an RV, but in reality, the consumption time is very relative.
- How Much Gas Do You Need For Camping? – Snowys
- How Long Does a Gas Bottle Last?
- Top Six Tips for Using Gas Safely in Your Motorhome or Caravan