How does a black tank flush system work? (With Diagram)
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “How does a black tank flush system work?” We will discuss a few tips to flush the black tank along with the required steps while using a flush valve. We will also discuss the best black tank flush kits and talk about a few tips to maintain your RV’s black water tank.
How does a black tank flush system work? (With Diagram)
The black tank flush system works with the help of a hookup hose that is connected to the inlet valve. The inlet valve helps to supply the water which is sprayed by the rinsers in various directions to clean out the black tank. This will help to remove any water that has been built up inside the tank and hoses. Here is a diagram of a black tank flush system.
You will need to hook up a hose to the black tank flush for it to work. Once you turn on the hose, the water starts to flow inside the black tank which kick-starts the mechanism. This mechanism spins and sprays the water from the hose at the same time. Hence, it covers the interior walls of the black tank and gets everything that is stuck to the walls.
Tips to flush the black tank
The black tank is the most crucial of them all and it has to be flushed at the right time. The last thing you want on your travel and camping trip is a full black tank. Here are a few tips to consider to flush your motorhome black tank.
- While this depends on the usage, it is still recommended to flush your black tank once a month. This is essential, especially if you are living full-time in a motorhome.
- If you go off only for a couple of weeks or camp only during the weekend, then you can get your black tank flushed once you are done with your trip.
- One important tip is to ensure that you flush your black tank before you keep it in storage for winter. Avoid having a full black tank during winter. This will surely help to reduce waste from building up inside the tank. It also helps to prevent bad odor.
- The easiest way to flush a black tank is to connect a hose to the city water connection and let it run into the back tank.
- Hold the flush down until the black tank indicator lets you know it is full. Be sure to turn off the city water and let the tank empty.
Steps to flush your black tank with a flush valve
While it is easy to connect your hose to any external water source, it might not be efficient in many ways. One of the best ways to flush a black tank is to use a flush valve. A flush valve is one of the best devices that is used to flush a black tank.
- First, make sure that your motorhome is parked near a water source. This can be a hose or a faucet.
- Second, you will need to attach the hose to the black tank flush valve. The hose needs to be connected from the flush valve to the water source.
- Be sure to turn on the water and let it run into the black tank until it is full.
- In the next step, turn off the water and let the tank empty. Note that you will be required to repeat the same process until you find that the water runs clear.
- Ensure to disconnect the hose and close the back tank flush valve.
This is an easy and the best method to flush the black tank. Make sure that the black tank has a backflow prevention device. Most of the black tanks arrive with a backflow prevention device for water does not to get back into the hose. It is also good to always have a separate hose for your black tank flush.
Best black tank flush kits
It is always recommended that you use a black water tank flush kit. This will give you an effective way of flushing your black tank and it also makes the job easier. Here are some of the best black tank flush kits that are available in the market.
Tornado rotary rinser
- This black tank flush kit is fixed permanently inside the black tank. Once you have this installed, all you need to do is connect the host to water and let it do the job.
- This is a game changer as it slings water all around and removes all the dirt on the walls of the tank. This also helps to finish draining stuff from the bottom of the tank.
Camco dual flush pro
- The Camco dual flush pro is an incredible flush kit that arrives with a gate valve. This is convenient and easy to use and it can also flush grey water tanks. It has an anti-siphon valve and it is built with strong compounds.
- It has break-resistant polycarbonate adapters that make the functioning process easy. The Camco dual flush pro arrives at a reasonable price.
Camco swivel stik
- The Camco swivel stik is yet another back tank flush kit that helps to clean over every possible thing on the walls of your tank. One of the major advantages is that you get to lower or raise the tank cleaning wand for the most coverage.
- The Camco swivel stik is also easy to use and there is no need to worry about keeping your tank clean.
You can easily purchase a black tank flush kit from Walmart or any other RV store. There are also multiple options available online. Be sure that the flush kit matches your black tank. While most of these kits are designed to match all tanks, it is important to get ones that are easy to use and compatible.
Tips to maintain your RV black water tank
The black water tank is an important component in any motorhome. Just like all the other components, the black water tank has to be maintained from time to time. Below are a few tips to maintain your RV’s black water tank.
Never flush toilet paper
- It is important not to flush toilet paper since it can cause clogs and create a mess while dumping your tank. Try not to flush toilet paper while using the toilet.
Never leave the valve open
- This is pretty crucial, especially when you are connected to the sewer at a campsite. Never leave the tank dump valve handle open. You might find yourself trying to get rid of a poop pyramid. An open valve will only clog the tank and make it a horrible experience.
Use enough water
- Many people forget to use enough water while cleaning or flushing the black water tank. It is important to have more water in the tank that has more solids. However, be sure not to fill the tank with excess water.
Empty the tank before storage
- Another important part is to dump the entire black water tank before storage. Ensure that your tank is empty and clean and there is nothing at the bottom or on the walls of the tank.
Use an RV tank cleaner
- RV back tank odor can be a huge problem while emptying or cleaning. If case of odor issues, you can use an RV black tank cleaner. This is great because it also keeps your toilet a little fresh and there is no need to worry about a foul odor.
- Maintaining your RV black tank is left up to you and you must follow a few important steps to avoid uncomfortable situations.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “How does a black tank flush system work?” We have discussed a few tips to flush the black tank along with the required steps while using a flush valve. We have also discussed the best black tank flush kits and talked about a few tips to maintain your RV’s black water tank.