In this article, we will explain: How do you tell how long a travel trailer is? We will discuss the average size of a travel trailer, how to measure it and how to choose the best travel trailer.
How do you tell how long a travel trailer is?
Travel trailers are a great way to bring your home on vacation. When you arrive at their place, you can quickly connect them to the camp with water and food; thus delivering all the comforts of home.
One of the main selling features is the length of the cab. This extends from the rear bumper to the start of the exterior housing. The Department of Transportation measures the length of the trailer from the tip of the tongue to the end of the bumper.
Here’s how to measure a travel trailer:
- Instruct a friend to hold the start of the tape measure flush with the end of the bumper.
- Walk with the tape measure to the start of the booth and align the measurement with this point.
- Record of the measurement indicated on the tape in feet. If the length of the trailer is required for licensing, then it is measured down to the tongue of the trailer.
What is the average size of a travel trailer?
Mid-range travel trailers are 18 to 25 feet (5.5 to 7.6 m) long, can weigh 5,000 pounds (2,300 kg) or more, and are typically towed by compact pickup trucks and SUVs. Please see the table below for more information.
Average Travel Trailer Specs
|Type||Weight (lbs)||Height (ft)||Length (ft)||Width (ft)|
|Standard Travel Trailer||7000 to 11000||8||24||7-8|
|Light-Weight Travel Trailer||3000 to 6000||8||20||7-8|
|Pop-up Travel Trailer||1000 to 3000||8||10||6-7|
|Fifth Wheel Travel Trailer||12000 to 13000||8||28 to 30||7-8|
How to measure a travel trailer cover?
First, you have to measure the length of the trailer, including the gas tank and any protruding elements. You must bear in mind that a cover that is too large will be a problem if the trailer is located outdoors, as it will be difficult to adjust it and the wind could end up tearing the fabric and breaking the straps.
In addition, if the canvas is not properly adjusted to the trailer, moisture will easily penetrate and can damage the exterior elements of the vehicle. Another important aspect is that when the canvas is loose, the wind will cause it to rub against the surface over and over again, which could end up damaging the exterior coating of the travel trailer.
How to choose the best travel trailer?
To choose the best travel trailer you can follow some simple tips:
- Type: the type of caravan you choose will depend on the use you are going to give it. The profiled ones are more manageable and have the cabin of a standard van, the nasturtiums have a more bulky space above the cabin to be able to place another bed, the integral ones do not have a cabin but do have a continuous line to make better use of the space, and the Extendable are heavier and have areas that extend outward to gain meters.
- Places: the number of places is very important, it is not the same to use a motorhome to travel as a couple than to also do it with several children. Make sure that all seats are approved and are totally safe.
- Space: to take into account the interior space, you should also think about how many people are going to travel in it and what needs you have, since not all people need the same or expect the same from a trip. The ideal is to bet on those that offer a lot of storage space but well used so as not to take away space of use.
- Equipment: this aspect is very important, and the final price will vary greatly depending on the equipment you have. Air conditioning, heating, quality furniture, kitchen, bathroom with shower, sink, refrigerator, microwave, television … Only you know what you will need.
- Price: there is no doubt that when choosing a motorhome it is very important to look at its price, both in its rental and in its purchase, which is what we will value now.
The cheapest ones are usually around 40,000 dollars, and from there it will go up depending on the equipment, size, engine, etc. The most expensive models even exceed 100,000 dollars. As far as rental is concerned, for about 100 dollars a day you can get one, although prices vary greatly depending on the season, area, type, etc.
- Available budget: it is one of the most important factors to take into account because depending on this we can guide the purchase to obtain more or less space, comfort or quality, in short, to obtain more or fewer benefits.
- The size: it will depend on the number of family members or friends who are going to occupy it, but also on the intended use of the trailer.
In the market, there are a wide variety of models to choose from: from the smallest (3.20 meters for 2 or 3 people), through those of normal dimensions (4.40 or 5.40 meters) to the largest (6 -7 meters and generally with double axis), in addition to being able to choose folding or extendable models, according to tastes and needs.
- Vehicle power: we must take into account the power of the towing vehicle that we have to move the caravan. Buying a large caravan if the family car does not have adequate power to tow it sufficiently is not going to be a good idea. Now, if what we want is to park it at a campsite, attach a trailer to it and enjoy it on weekends or on vacation, power will not be a problem either.
- The purchase: decided on the budget, the size and the intended use, it is time to select the brands that are adapted to our tastes and needs. You must study and carefully assess the characteristics, the equipment or the benefits.
Nor should you overlook the exterior design, the interior layout, furniture, upholstery, storage capacity, the kitchen area, the toilet, the finishes or the overnight capacity, among others. Relax, there are plenty of models to choose from.
In short, when buying a travel trailer you have to answer a series of questions that will give you the solution.
The bottom line
As a final piece of advice, we recommend investing in a good trailer cover. By covering the vehicle, you will have the satisfaction of finding it clean in the spring and you will only have to carry out small annual maintenance work before setting off again on the roads.
Please let us know if you have any comments or questions on the content.
FAQ about How do you tell how long a travel trailer is?
What are the worst travel trailers to buy?
The following are considered the worst travel trailers to buy:
What is the most reliable travel trailer brand?
The most reliable travel trailer brands are:
- Forest River.
- Happier Camper.
Do travel trailers hold their value?
Travel trailers do hold their value longer than RVs or caravans. A travel trailer can hold its value between five and 15 years, more or less regularly.