How do you remove the front of a caravan window?
In this article, we will guide you on: How do you remove the front of a caravan window? We will explain how to do this step-by-step, and also discuss the best type of windows for a caravan and how to replace them.
How do you remove the front of a caravan window?
To remove the front of a caravan window you must:
- Remove the screw covers on the window jambs.
- Remove the screws.
- Remove the frame.
- Remove the silicone gaskets.
- Remove the glass block.
If you want to remove the front of a caravan window to replace it, it is quite easy as well. First, you have to determine what type of window it is. Then, if you notice any screws, bolts or other items that hold the window together, you must now undo them. Using a screwdriver or other equipment, this step can be very quick.
Next, to place the new window in its final location, reassemble the elements that have been undone from the top. The use of screws and other elements of this type will ensure that the caravan window does not move and brings all the comfort, safety and security.
For the bay caravan windows, it is best to learn about the various elements that will hold the equipment perfectly. Certain information may also be requested from the supplier concerning its installation or others.
How to change a caravan window?
Before knowing how to change a caravan window, you should know that there are several reasons that may prompt you to change the window on your recreational vehicle.
Motorhomes, campervans and caravans are generally well designed and made of sturdy materials that withstand inclement weather, temperature variations and road vibrations. However, you are never safe from a problem, an original manufacturing defect or an attempted burglary.
Several reasons may require you to change a caravan window:
- A broken or cracked window: it can happen that the glass or acrylic windows of motorhomes deteriorate and must be replaced.
- A damaged or broken window compass
- A damaged or fractured motorhome sliding window lock during a burglary.
- A broken caravan window cylinder
- A broken or torn mosquito net
- A broken blackout blind.
In some cases, it is not necessary to change the entire window of the caravan. Sometimes it is easier and cheaper to repair or replace the defective part.
There are different types of caravan windows:
- Fixed windows that do not open
- Projectable caravan windows
- Sliding caravan windows
The glass of caravan windows can be made of several materials:
- Securit glass
- Projected acrylic glazing
- Windows can be single or double glazed.
Several brands offer very good quality caravan windows, and we recommend you to check them out!
- Dometic Seitz
- Farnier Penin
In order to replace the window of your caravan, your van or your converted van, you will have to buy a new one. You can opt for a new window that you will find in specialized stores or on the internet. The financial cost of a motorhome window depends on several criteria but count between $100for the basic fixed models to more than $1000 for the larger models.
You can also opt for a used caravan window. You will find offers at attractive prices on second-hand sites like eBay or Amazon.
Other questions you may be interested in
The key steps to replace a caravan window
To change a caravan window correctly, you have to follow the disassembly and assembly steps to the letter. You will find very precise instructions in the instructions for use of your new window.
- Disassembly of the window. To replace the window, you have to start by disassembling the old model. To dismantle a caravan window, you must:
- Remove the screw covers on the window jambs
- Remove screws
- Remove the frame
- Remove silicone gaskets
- Remove the glass block.
- Measure the space for the caravan window. To measure a caravan window properly, follow these simple tips:
- We recommend that you measure the width and height in three different points and take the smallest of the three measurements as the right ones. Add one cm to the width and height measurement.
- It is also convenient to measure the diagonals, this will give us an idea of the possible miss-square of the gap. Make sure to always measure from the surface of the jambs or frame, not from the short extensions that hold the window in place.
- Take into account the covering around the caravan window. If the gap is already occupied by an old window, you will see a plastic, aluminium, or wood cover attached to the vertical sides. This will be removed before installing the replacement window.
Thus, measure the width of the canopy and add it to the width of the window opening. If you can’t access the cover to measure it, use a measurement of about 1.25 centimetres.
- To measure the depth between the two stops that extend in front of the window frame. Try to measure the shortest point. If you can’t open the window, measure the depth on each side and add up the results (if for any reason you can’t access the outside of the window, you can get an approximate measurement by measuring the depth on the inside side and multiplying it by two).
- Confirm that the window opening is rectangular. Measure the window opening from the top left to the bottom right and record the measurement. Measure the distance of the opposite angles (upper right to lower left) and compare the result with the first measurement.
- Assembly the new caravan window. Once you have dismantled the old window, you need to install the new window. Here’s how to do it:
- Clean the surface on which you are going to lay the new block: remove all traces of the old joints and other organic matter such as moss or mould.
- Check that the dimensions of the new window are the same as the dimensions of the hole in your vehicle.
- Put the new window in place in the hole. Ideally, there should be someone holding the window unit from the outside.
- Take a good look at the installation manual, you may need to install spacers depending on the wall thickness of your vehicle. If you have to put some, paste them all around the new window.
- Check that the screw dimensions provided in the motorhome window mounting kit are the correct size.
- Install the new window with the glue recommended in the manual, usually a butyl putty.
- Replace the interior cover.
- Install the screws starting with the top ones.
- Put on the screw covers.
- Put a silicone gasket with Sikaflex 522 sealant, for example, around the bay on the outside of the vehicle.
- It is very important to install your joints carefully to avoid water infiltration.
If you need to remove the front of a caravan window or replace it altogether, follow the above steps and tips to do it quickly and safely. But if you find it a bit too challenging, take your caravan to an authorized mechanic shop and I am sure they will be glad to help you with your projects.
If you have any comments, questions or tips about replacing a caravan window, please feel free to let us know.
FAQ on How do you remove the front of a caravan window?
How to take the measurement of a window?
To take the measurements of a window for installation in the renovation, you must take into account the following measurements: height and width inside the existing frame (that is, the end size of the frame at the other), then deduct -2 mm in width and -2 mm in height.
How to take the measures to replace a window?
To take the measurement to replace a window, follow these tips:
- For the height: take the measurements as closely as possible to the wooden frame of the existing window, this will be the passage height.
- For the width: take the measurements of the narrowest part of the wooden frame of the existing window, this will be the passage width.
How do you clean caravan window seals?
You can clean caravan window seals with soapy water and a soft brush. Remember to rinse the windows well and leave them open to dry thoroughly and quickly.
- Description of how to remove a caravan window. – YouTube
- Replacing a Caravan Window – YouTube
- Repair a cracked caravan window easily – YouTube