In this blog post, we will answer the next question: How do you get a bad smell out of a caravan? We will discuss the origin of bad smells in a caravan, how to prevent and get rid of them.
How do you get a bad smell out of a caravan?
The simplest solution to get a bad smell out of a caravan is to clean it thoroughly with vinegar. Ideal for cleaning and eliminating odours on board motorhomes and caravans, the vinegar disinfects and removes limescale and is therefore ideal for cleaning sanitary facilities, the kitchen unit, but also the refrigerator.
Wiping down the walls of the refrigerator with vinegar also prevents the formation of frost. However, rubber and silicone gaskets should not be cleaned with vinegar, as this may become porous.
If not suitable for cleaning, baking powder and freshly ground coffee are excellent deodorants to place on board the vehicle in cups. They also absorb excess moisture to a certain extent. It is also possible to distribute the ground coffee directly on the belts, but the beans will of course have to be vacuumed afterwards.
The best thing to do is to prevent any bad smell in the caravan. It may seem obvious but the first thing you should do is adopt a series of basic measures so that your vehicle is not impregnated with bad odours.
- For instance, do not smoke inside the vehicle. It is essential, the smoke and traces of nicotine create a magnet on the surfaces so that substances that cause bad odours are added in the future. The materials with which the motorhomes are made, use coatings so that cleanings can be done and reduce the impact.
- Being cautious in storing food or other products that can be split on the compartments is the main objective when traveling.No one wants to clean up the mess of an oil bottle that fell to the ground when travelling on a bumpy and bad road condition. -We believe we went through that !!!
- A good recommendation is to immediately clean any area that has been stained, no matter how small. Having a bottle of cleaner and another grease remover is part of the “essentials” … So it is better to include them in your shopping list!
These simple tips can save you a lot of work. Once the smell has remained, it will require many hands to eradicate them.
6 tips to revoke bad odours from your caravan
Below we share more tips to help you get rid of bad odours from your caravan once and for all. Read them carefully and take notes!
- Let the fresh air in. If the musty smell has permeated the whole caravan, even in winter, do not hesitate to ventilate it by opening the windows wide and making drafts! If even doing these drafts, this is probably not enough; it is a humidity problem. And the humidity that causes this smell is very unhealthy.
- Use a mix of water, baking soda, lemon juice and essential oil. Spray rooms with a mixture of hot water mixed with a tablespoon of baking soda, a teaspoon of lemon juice and 3 drops of lemon essential oil. This solution will also have the advantage of acting as a disinfectant.
- Try a mix of hot water, vinegar and alcohol. Spray then let dry a mixture consisting of a teaspoon of hot water, another cup of white vinegar and a tablespoon of 70 ° alcohol.
- Vinegar is your ally. Mask the musty smell of a house or apartment by spraying pure white vinegar on the carpet or rugs and curtains. Close the windows for at least an hour and then ventilate.
- Try bicarbonate. If the stale problem is minor, sprinkle baking soda on the rugs or rugs widely. Leave the baking soda to act overnight. Vacuum in the morning.
- Use an odour absorber in a pot. Place the odour absorber jar near the source of the bad odour, remove the cover and let it act and the odour will dissipate. The odour absorber, an ecological product, works by evaporation and is effective for 4 to 6 weeks.
If the problem persists, it will be necessary either to equip the house with an atmosphere purifier or a dehumidifier. It could also be a moisture problem.
Clean the interior of your caravan thoroughly
To prevent a bad smell in a caravan, it is important to clean it properly. Start by vacuuming all the dust from the cabin, whether it is on the floor but also on furniture, window sills, seats, sofas … Don’t forget any nook! Repeat this process by wiping with a damp microfiber cloth to remove all of the still stubborn dust! You can add a few drops of essential oils to your cloth to leave a good room scent on your furniture.
Once the caravan has been dusted off, you can proceed to the more specific washing of the refrigerator, the bathroom, the toilets. In fact, it’s simple, wash your rooms as if you were washing the rooms in your home.
Make sure to clean the refrigerator well, especially if you will not be using your caravan for a long time. If you forget food or leave stains inside, everything will rot and a horrible smell will fill your cabin.
The bathroom and the toilet can be washed like at home, however, avoid chemicals. This is because caravans use water tanks and the use of chemicals could damage the quality and cleanliness of the water.
To remove stains, streaks or bad odours, sprinkle generously with baking soda, let sit for at least 30 minutes, then vacuum to clean.
Why does my caravan bathroom smell bad?
If your caravan bathroom smells bad, it may mean that you haven’t properly closed the valve of the waste tank, or that you haven’t cleaned and drained the black water tank in a while.
Once you have emptied the black water tank, you can rinse and clean it. To clean the cassette, pour at least 2L of clean water inside and add a disinfectant and deodorant such as bleach tablets.
The black water tank can be cleaned more frequently than the grey water tank depending on your use. If you live year-round in your caravan, you can clean your wastewater tanks once a month.
To avoid bad smells, regularly empty the sewage tank of your caravan. When the sewage tank is 3/4 full, the tank must be emptied. You want to wait until the tank is this full, because the fuller the tank is, the easier and faster the flow of wastewater through the hoses will be when it is emptied.
The longer the wastewater remains in the tank, the longer it takes to remove chemicals from toilet paper and waste products. To empty the tank, the drain hose is connected to both the campsite and the sewage system. The grey water tank must be closed.
The sewage tank opens and can flow through the pipe into the sewer system. The grey water tank is closed when it is empty. The same process is repeated for the grey water tank.
FAQ on How do you get a bad smell out of a caravan?
How to remove the musty smell in a caravan?
To remove the musty smell in a caravan, use a saucer filled with lemon juice and baking soda.
How to perfume your caravan for a long time?
To perfume your caravan for a long time, use a natural sanitizing spray. In a spray bottle, mix 500 millilitres of water, the juice of one lemon and a tablespoon of baking soda. Shake and spray around the house. This natural product cleans the air, rids it of bad odours and perfumes your interior at the same time
How to clean a trailer air conditioning?
To clean a trailer air conditioning, remove the air conditioning cover and remove any debris that may have accumulated: insects, dead leaves, dust, etc. To facilitate cleaning, you can use a workshop vacuum cleaner or a compressed air cleaning system.
Can you put bleach in an RV black water tank?
Yes, it is allowed to put bleach in an RV black water tank. You can make a mixture of one-quarter cup of bleach with one gallon of water and clean the waste tank.