How do you dry wet wood in an RV?
In today’s article, we will answer the following question: How do you dry wet wood in an RV? We will explain how to dry the floor of your vehicle step-by-step. We will also discuss prevention and maintenance.
How do you dry wet wood in an RV?
To dry wet wood in an RV you will need to act as quickly as possible, but also have lots of patience. If your RV has been flooded, chances are high that you will end up with a mould problem. However, there are steps you can take to try to prevent mold from growing in your home after it has been flooded.
Please note: Depending on how wet the wood in your RV is, the drying process can take weeks or even months to complete.
Water damage to the floor after a flood can warp the material and leave dark stains. If you can dry your floor, you will be able to prevent damage. Want to know how to dry a wooden floor? This will not necessarily require major repairs. Here are some tips and warnings:
- Remove any wet coverings. Hardwood floors do not dry out as long as the wood is damp. So start with wet rugs and carpets. If you can’t clean them immediately, you will have to get rid of them because of the mold.
- Wipe up visible puddles before drying a wooden floor. You may not be able to dry and remove the water that has already entered your floor. However, you can remove visible water marks on the floor. Wipe down your floor with a mop to remove excess water.
- Clean the floor. If you have been the victim of a flood, chances are you have mud and silt on your floor. Scrub your floor with a brush, water and detergent to remove all the dirt. If you clean your floor while it is still wet, it will avoid having to add water.
- Remove the planks. When wood is wet, it tends to swell. If you remove a few planks (one every 2-3 meters for example), this will allow the others to expand without distorting. Your floor will also dry out faster.
- Circulate air to dry a wooden floor. To dry a wooden floor, you need to circulate the air. You can open the windows for better ventilation. A very quick method is to use fans to dry the floor. You can buy regular fans or rent large commercial fans.
- Check the moisture content. Before covering or touching up your floor, you must make sure that it is really dry. By using a device, it is possible to measure the moisture content of the soil. This should not exceed 5%, otherwise, it may mean that you have a humidity problem.
- Be patient. Drying a wooden floor can take several weeks and even months. However, it is worth waiting a while, as your boards will return to their original shape when they have dried completely. Sanders and nails may be required.
Is it true that you can dry wet wood in an RV with a hairdryer?
Yes, you can dry wet wood in an RV with a hairdryer. Just take the small items one at a time and blow dry them for a while. You will see that they quickly go from being humid to being warm, ideal for use.
Although it is a very fast method, we recommend that you do not use a very hot temperature to avoid damaging the wood. Control the heat of the air in your dryer, using an intermediate level, neither cold nor very hot, to dry your wood floor or furniture in a more organic way.
How to prevent mould after a camper water leak
As we mentioned at the beginning of this article, if the wood in your RV is wet, chances are you will have a mould and mildew problem.
Mould can start to grow after a day or two, so it’s important to act as quickly as possible if your RV is flooded. Make sure you only enter your RV when it is completely safe.
If you are going to do the flood cleanup yourself, then you should start by moving your things outside so they don’t get wet. This is to protect them while the rest of the RV is being cleaned.
How to extract water from your RV
Next, we have to get as much flood water out of your RV as possible. To do this, you can use buckets and mops. You can even pump the water with pump equipment, if you have one, as long as it is safe to use. The fire department may also be able to help you by pumping the water out of your home. Also remove dirt, mud, or other types of dirt that got into your RV during the flood.
How to clean and disinfect your RV after a water leak
Once the surfaces in your RV have dried, you can start cleaning and disinfecting them. Household cleaners and disinfectants are generally very helpful. You can also use antifungal solutions to prevent mould.
During the cleaning process, it is necessary to wash and disinfect all surfaces in your RV including floors, walls, shelves and cabinets.
- Cleaning wet and mouldy items. Hard surfaces, non-porous items that do not absorb water, can be cleaned with detergents. Once these items are dry, it is safe to return them in the RV without worrying about them causing mould.
It is best to get rid of porous items that absorb water and cannot fully dry in 24-48 hours. Also objects with mould growing on them and that cannot be cleaned properly should be discarded. Clothes, sheets and blankets can be machine washed and maintained.
- Returning in your RV after a flood. Before you return to your motorhome, it must be dry and free of mold. Be sure to put your things back inside only when they are completely dry. They also should not have any mould.
Also, inspect your RV for signs of mould. If you find some mouldy items inside, you will need to take them outside and clean or throw them away. All mould that grows on the surfaces of your RV should be removed as well.
Also, be on the lookout for any musty odours or any signs that you may be experiencing mould symptoms. If so, there is probably mould somewhere inside that you need to find and remove.
The best idea is to get a professional or expert to inspect your RV (and perhaps test it for mould), to make sure the motorhome is okay and you can continue to live in it!
If all our tips fail, the last option is to involve professionals. Depending on the factor causing the damage, the cost of the intervention may be covered. Still, it is essential to act as quickly as possible!
If you have any tips, comments or questions about the content, please let us know!
FAQ on How do you dry wet wood in an RV?
How to remove humidity in a motorhome?
To remove humidity in a motorhome follow these steps:
- Thoroughly inspect the motorhome and plug the “air holes”
- Improve insulation and glazing.
- Slightly heat the vehicle.
- Activate the ventilation in the water parts.
- Ventilate regularly.
How do you dry wet carpet in an RV?
Here are our three simple and quick solutions for drying a wet carpet in an RV:
- Place a towel on the wet surfaces as soon as possible;
- Use a wet vacuum cleaner to absorb all the moist;
- Use a hairdryer to quicken the process.
How to remove water stains from a carpet?
To remove a water stain from a carpet, we advise you to lightly rub your carpet with a damp cloth and a drop of vinegar. Leave to dry or repeat the operation until the stain disappears.
- How To Dry Wet Firewood The EASY Way | RV Quick Tip – YouTube
- RV Water Damage?!? – RV’s and Trees
- Best way to dry out flooded campers? – Forest River Forums