How do you clean vinyl windows on a pop-up camper?
In this blog post, we will answer the following question: How do you clean vinyl windows on a pop-up camper? We will explain how to best clean vinyl windows on a pop-up camper, but also discuss the peculiarities of vinyl windows. We will also give you a few tips on maintaining and cleaning your pop-up camper.
How do you clean vinyl windows on a pop-up camper?
Pop-up camper vinyl windows are an attractive and effective substitute for traditional windows. Caring for vinyl windows is a little different from caring for other windows, though. Abrasive products should never be used when cleaning the vinyl windows of your pop-up camper!
Here’s how to clean the vinyl windows on a pop-up camper step-by-step:
- Check that all windows are closed and locked. Clean exterior vinyl windows using water from the garden hose to dislodge dirt and rinse it off. Apply water slowly at first to check if the window is leaking. Sometimes a direct, full pressure jet of water can penetrate the interior of the window. Start at the top windows and work your way down.
- Pour 10 cups of water into a bucket and add a tsp. of liquid dish detergent. Dip the mop in the solution and gently rub the windows. Work from the bottom of the window to the top. Rinse the house with clean water, from the top of the window to the bottom.
- Use a bleach solution for stubborn stains. Add a 4:1 ratio of water to bleach in a bucket and apply it as you did the detergent solution. Rinse the window with clean water.
- Clean interior windows with a water-based cleaner like Windex or Lysol. Spray a small amount on the glass and use a soft cloth to remove the product from the shutter.
- Remove paint stains using a plastic spatula to gently loosen the paint, allowing you to loosen it from the window.
- For a quarter-size dab of White-Spirit on a soft cloth and gently rub harder stains like oil or tar. Rinse off the mineral spirits with water from a spray bottle and dry the glass with a soft cloth.
How to clean soft vinyl windows on a pop-up camper?
Soft vinyl windows are strong, flexible and impact resistant. Therefore, you will find these windows in most pop-up campers, boats and conversion vehicles. Although strong, soft vinyl is prone to scratches.
Cleaning with the right, non-abrasive products and doing it regularly helps keep abrasive dirt or sand from scratching or scuffing the vinyl. Cleaning does not usually take very long and can keep your windows in good condition.
Here’s how to clean soft vinyl windows on a pop-up camper:
- Rinse off the windows with a gentle stream of water from a garden hose. Mix a tablespoon of a mild detergent such as dishwasher detergent with water in a five-gallon bucket.
- Use a microfiber cloth in the bucket and wipe on the windows. If the windows are heavily soiled, be sure to rinse the laundry often so you aren’t sliding scratchy sand or dirt on the vinyl.
- Rinse the windows with your garden hose. Wipe them with a dry microfiber cloth.
- Use a vinyl window polish or mist remover if, after cleaning, your windows are still fuzzy. Many of these simply spray on – just spray the product on the windows and wipe it off with a clean microfiber cloth.
Tips and warnings for cleaning vinyl windows:
- Look for vinyl washers at boat shops or auto retailer supply stores.
- If you don’t have access to a garden hose (for example, when camping), then use a bucket to rinse the windows.
- Ctekmarine.com warns against the use of aggressive detergents, abrasives or products containing alcohol or silicone on vinyl windows.
- Marinestore.com warns against the use of products containing ammonia on vinyl windows.
Clean and maintain your pop-up camper (the basics)
Start by dusting, then by cleaning the smooth surfaces (vinyl windows, fridge, sink, toilet and finish with the vacuum cleaner, not forgetting the benches, and the floor of the motorhome.
Use a rag to dust everything upwards to get down to furniture and bedposts.
Tip: To improve the efficiency of clothes, pour a little olive oil on your dusting cloth. Not only will the dust be easy to remove, but the furniture will shine. Or add a few drops of lemon juice to the olive oil. This solution, with a pleasant smell, will give a shiny touch to the wood.
Clean smooth surfaces. Wipe a cloth soaked in either white vinegar or window products on all the smooth surfaces of the motorhome: bodywork, windows, sinks, cupboards.
Clean the fridge. Every week quickly clean the fridge with a cloth dampened in white vinegar. Once a month unplug the fridge, empty it then remove shelves, bins and racks, wash in lukewarm water with added soda crystals. Rinse and dry. Reconnect the fridge.
Thoroughly clean the pop-up canvas. It is also important to regularly inspect it for tears, holes, and fix the damage as soon as possible.
Also, remember to clean the rubber seals with a sponge soaked in water, without bleach or vinegar.
Because we want you to be extra careful with cleaning the vinyl windows on your pop-up camper, let’s summarize the cleaning process:
- First, remove as much dirt as possible with a light jet of water. It is better to wet the entire surface in order to soften any particles stuck to the window.
- Second, gently wash the surface with a mild solution/soap and water. (No detergents or harsh cleansers).
- Third, rinse with clean, soft water and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Use products such as the 303 Products, Aerospace Protectant. Spray the product on both sides of the surface and then polish with a clean, dry and well-worn (soft) towel.
And that’s it! If you have any questions or comments on the content, please let us know.
FAQ on How do you clean vinyl windows on a pop-up camper?
What is the best cleaner for vinyl windows?
The best cleaner for vinyl windows is a water-based one. You can use Windex or Lysol cleaner for soft vinyl windows both on the inside and on the outside.
How do you clean plastic tent windows?
To clean plastic tent windows use a soft cloth, warm water, dishwasher soap or a water-based window cleaner. Do not use abrasive products and make sure you rinse the products well.
Can you use vinegar to clean vinyl windows?
Yes, you can use vinegar to clean vinyl windows. Use one part white vinegar to 2 parts water in a spray bottle. With a gentle cloth clean thoroughly the vinyl windows.
How do you get mould off a pop-up camper vinyl?
To get mould off a pop-up camper vinyl, you can use one part vinegar mixed with two parts water. After cleaning the vinyl, make sure you dry it well. Also, check your camper canvas for holes, tears and water leaks.
Other FAQs about Pop up campers that you may be interested in.
Is it hard to tow a pop up camper?
How do you fix a broken zipper on a pop-up camper?
How do you keep a pop-up camper from sweating?