In this article, we will explain: How do you clean old RV cushions? We will share our cleaning tips, discuss how often one should clean RV cushions and how to get rid of severe spots!
How do you clean old RV cushions?
To clean old RV cushions you will first have to determine the fabric that the cushions are made of. The washing method will depend on the material:
- Synthetic cushions are not machine-safe. The usual detergent should be replaced by white vinegar.
- If they are feathered, they should be soaked for 24 hours in cold water with a little lemon juice and coarse salt. Rinse them with clean water, then dry them. It is necessary to beat the cushion to re-inflate and put the feathers back in place.
- For latex cushions, it is advisable to soak them in cold water with half a cup of vinegar before rinsing and drying them in the fresh air.
- For fabric and microfiber models, they are washed in a basin of hot water mixed with a little lemon juice and baking soda.
Cushions give the RV an undeniable decorative touch. For those who love to have them, it is essential to take care of them regularly, especially before hitting the road. Apart from seats, windows and furniture, RV cushions can accumulate dust and stains, hence the importance of cleaning them well.
Do not wait until the RV cushions are dirty to wash them. Even if the RV is not used regularly, it can still get dusty. Ideally, cleaning 3-4 times a year is required. In the meantime, a little vacuuming is enough. To scent them, just sprinkle them with a little lavender water or eucalyptus essential oil which is known to be an excellent anti-dust mite.
How to machine wash old RV cushions?
If the cushions are removable, simply put them in the washing machine, following the recommendations on the labels regarding water temperature, among others. Otherwise, it is a good idea to choose a delicate program or a cold wash to preserve the quality of the cushion. To keep it plump, the trick is to put a few tennis balls in the drum.
Note that steam cleaning is best suited for cushions made from delicate textiles. This technique allows the fibres to be tightened. However, it is not suitable for cushions made with satin fabric.
How often should you clean old RV cushions?
In order to prevent stains or dust from becoming permanently encrusted, it is important to clean your RV cushions regularly. So washing them once a year, for example just before the start of spring or at the end of summer, will help to maintain them.
For a light cleaning, simple soapy water is sufficient. To add a fresh scent to your Rv cushions, if they have been stored for a long time, you can also dilute a few drops of essential oils in your wash or rinse water, or spray them on the dry cushions.
How to clean severe spots from old RV cushions?
Has one of your RV cushions been stained with red wine, oil or grease? For tough stains, you can make a natural baking soda stain remover.
- Start by mixing a glass of soda crystals with 2 litres of water in a saucepan, then heat for 5 minutes on low heat
- Add half a glass of baking soda, half a glass of black soap then half a glass of white vinegar
- Mix well until the powders dissolve, then remove the pan from the heat
- Let the preparation cool then pour it into a spray bottle
- You can then apply this stain remover to your garden cushions on stubborn stains, then rub it with a sponge. Then rinse it off with cold water and let it dry.
If you need new RV cushions
If you decided to replace your old RV cushions, we will help you choose the best materials and types:
- Acrylic cushion covers: If you have a good but limited budget, we advise you to opt for acrylic fabric covers. This type of fabric is resistant to mould, salt spray, abrasion and all types of stains. This fabric is also ideal for surviving all summer in the sun, being water repellent and UV resistant.
- Nano-tex, the ideal textile for easy-to-maintain cushions: Nano-tex covers are the best outdoor cushion covers on the market. It is an innovative fabric that repels water, mould, stains, and dries very quickly. Nano-tex is therefore perfect for dressing garden furniture. In addition, these cushions are removable, for quick and easy machine cleaning.
- The filling of your RV cushions: an element not to be neglected. Premium garden cushions are usually filled with Quick Dry foam, which can withstand all kinds of weather all summer long. This light and comfortable foam dries quickly and does not retain odours.
If you now know how to clean your RV cushions easily, there are a few tips to apply on a daily basis to minimize the risk of spoiling. One of the simplest solutions to quickly and easily protect the cushions of your garden furniture is to store them every evening in a storage box. There are different sizes of storage furniture, to hold small cushions as well as all the upholstery of your RV furniture and other accessories.
Our final tips are to not neglect the other parts of the RV as well. Apart from the cushions, other parts of the RV require special maintenance to ensure their lifespan.
- This applies to the components of the kitchen, starting with the refrigerator. It should be cleaned thoroughly to prevent mould.
- It is also essential to vacuum and ventilate the mattress. Don’t forget the carpet.
- To get rid of stains, sprinkle baking soda on them, then leave it on for half an hour before vacuuming.
- For the bathroom, this wet room also requires special attention. The use of chemicals is prohibited, however, as the water passes through reservoirs. Chemical components can damage them.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any comments, questions or tips on how to clean old RV cushions!
FAQ on How do you clean old RV cushions?
How to wash a non-removable cushion?
To wash a non-removable cushion you can use a homemade detergent and just some water. The mixture of water, vinegar and dishwashing liquid are undoubtedly the easiest to make. All you need to do is soak a sponge and wring it out before gently rubbing the sofa in areas of 20 cm.
How to wash a large pillow?
To wash a large pillow, better soak it overnight in cold water, with half a cup of vinegar. Then let it air dry. Synthetics: the material that requires the least amount of effort from you! Just put it in the machine, and wash it cold.
How to clean your cushions?
To clean your cushions, soak them in lukewarm water with detergent for 20 – 30 minutes. If the cushion is padded with a piece of non-woven fabric, program your machine for a maximum of 500 revolutions. For other types of synthetic padding, avoid spinning at all costs.
How to dry clean a fabric sofa?
To dry clean a fabric sofa use baking soda: sprinkle the product directly over the entire surface of the fabric. After leaving it on for about an hour, vacuum it gently. This will both revive the colour but also deodorize the sofa.