Do pop-up campers have titles?

In this article, we will answer the following question: Do pop-up campers have titles? We will explain what a camper title is, when you need it and what to do if you don’t have one!

Do pop-up campers have titles?

Yes, pop-up campers are required to have titles in the US. A title is a document that certifies who is the registered owner of the vehicle. The title also keeps and organizes the indexes or records that are necessary to facilitate the order of information about that specific vehicle.  It is issued by the Secretary of Transportation and authorizes said motor vehicles to be driven on public roads and highways. 

Some reasons why a pop-up camper may not have a title may be that the title could have been damaged, destroyed, lost, or misplaced. But if you investigate it well, it could be a stolen vehicle, right? Another possibility could be that the seller is trying to make a “title jump.” This is an illegal practice in all states of the USA, in that case, the person would be trying to sell the camper without going through the titling process to avoid paying the sales tax.

There are some resources available that allow you to verify how true the information provided by the seller can be. For example, through AutoCheck and Carfax, you can confirm the legal status of a camper that does not have a title.

Another helpful resource for checking the status of an untitled camper is the National Office of Insurance Crimes. The Vehicle History Report (VHR) will also provide you with your accident or insurance claim history.

Titling of a pop-up camper: how to do it?

These are the steps you must follow to transfer the title of a camper to your name:

  1. Check the DMV website for requirements: The documentation to present and the process to obtain the vehicle title varies from state to state. The federal government’s Department of Motor Vehicles website provides state-specific information on its website. 

However, you should visit the DMV website for your state. There you will find downloadable documentation, telephone numbers and addresses of the offices that you may have to visit in person.

In most cases, you will need to complete an application (to transfer or replace a title) and provide information such as the vehicle’s VIN number, odometer reading, and a bill of sale.

  1. Contact the owner of the pop-up camper: To carry out the sale of a camper the property title is necessary. If the seller does not have the camper title, then you must obtain one first.
  1. Complete the necessary documentation together: The easiest way to obtain the title of your pop-up camper is to carry out the management together with the seller. If possible, visit a state office to complete all the paperwork and complete the transfer process. 

The seller will complete the documentation indicating the transfer of ownership and a new title will be issued. There cannot be a loan outstanding against the vehicle while the title is being transferred unless the transfer is approved by the lender. Odometer reading (at time of transfer) and vehicle VIN numbers must match documentation.

What to do if a pop-up camper has no title: Replace a lost title

In this section, we explain what to do if a pop-up camper does not have a title. These are the steps that the camper owner must follow:

  1.  Verify that you do not actually have the title. A title is the legal proof of ownership, it is an important document that must be kept in a safe and secure place. Unless the owner is certain it was lost or stolen, he should keep looking as the process to replace a title is relatively expensive and time-consuming.

If the seller has the title but it is damaged, he should take it to the local Secretary of State or DMV office.

  1. Establish eligibility for a consolidated degree. If the seller does not have a title to prove that he owns the vehicle and cannot contact the party who sold it to him, he will need to purchase a bond and apply for a consolidated title through his state government.

You will need to consult your state’s DMV website for the eligibility requirements for a title guarantee.

  1.  Provide all necessary paperwork. The owner must provide a state office with everything necessary to prove his or her eligibility, as indicated on the state DMV website. He will also have to pay a fee. The necessary paperwork will likely include a statement of facts about how he took possession of the vehicle, any other evidence indicating that he owns the vehicle, a photo ID, and an application for a title deed.

Note: A pop-up camper that has been deemed legally abandoned, scrapped, stolen, or is involved in a pending lawsuit will not be eligible for a new title.

  1. Buy a surety bond: If the owner meets the eligibility requirements, the state will send him a letter containing the amount of the bond that he must purchase. This amount of the deposit will be greater than the value of the vehicle itself. The state determines the amount based on the information in the documentation. You should take the letter to an agency that is licensed to sell surety bonds in your state, such as an auto insurance agency.

The owner does not have to pay the state or insurance company for the value of his pop-up camper. While there will be a fee associated with the purchase of the bond itself, the bond is simply a legal instrument that makes you financially responsible for the ownership of the vehicle.

  1. Apply for a consolidated title in your state: Once the owner has purchased a bond, they must return it to the secretary of state to complete the titling process. Then he will need to register the camper in order to legally drive it.

What are the types of damages that can be reflected in a camper’s title?

The title of a camper contains important information and sometimes information about its past especially if the trauma suffered by the vehicle is considered drastic as an accident or natural disaster that caused too much damage to have been declared a total loss.

There are different types of titles that indicate what happened to the vehicle:

  • Clean title. This is considered a camper without damage.
  • Salvaged (total loss). A  camper that suffered too much damage and would cost between 75 and 100 per cent of the total cost of the vehicle to repair.
  • Rebuilt. A camper that has had a salvage title but has been rebuilt and inspected. Some states do not offer this type of title, which means that some rebuilt vehicles may still have the salvage title.
  • Scrap. The camper that has this type of title can only be sold for scrap.
  • Flood damage. A vehicle that has had extreme flood damage. Some states allow the rebuilding of these types of vehicles.
  • Fleet. This type of title is awarded to automobiles that have been used as a taxi fleet, rental vehicles, and police. This type of camper is common at auctions, has many miles driven, and has been driven by multiple drivers.
  • Lemon. The lemon title varies by state. However, if a new vehicle is considered a lemon, it means that it has been under repair for at least a month or has been presenting the same problem all the time without being able to be fixed.
  • Unknown mileage. Although it is not considered damage, many states require that the title show that the mileage is unknown. This occurs from odometer replacement or other related damage.

The bottom line

If you have not received the title of your trailer or need one to sell, it is important to keep in mind the legal ownership indicated on the document. Some states do not require mobile homeowners to possess a title. 

But in some cases, you won’t be able to sell your motorhome to someone else if you don’t have the title. If you have lost your title, you should apply for a new one if your state requires you to have one. 

If you have any questions or comments on the content, please let us know!

FAQ on Do pop-up campers have titles?

Do campers have pink slips?

Yes, campers, just like any other reactionary vehicles, have pink slips, which is a certificate of title. A pink slip is a document that certifies who is the registered owner of the vehicle. The title also keeps and organizes the indexes or records that are necessary to facilitate the order of information about that specific vehicle. 

Do caravans have a logbook?

No, caravans do not have a logbook, as it is not mandatory by law. Some of them will have a logbook, but the truth is that you can’t trust it because if it is not a legal requirement, a logbook is quite easy to fake and temper with.

What to look for when buying an older camper?

In most cases, second-hand campers are usually in good condition since the owners tend to take care of them (as you may very well do when you buy yours). The reasons for putting them up for sale, logically, vary depending on each case; people who bought it to try this world, economic reasons, they hardly use it, in exchange for a motorhome, etc.

What is a VIN code?

VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number or CRiS number. It is a unique code to your caravan and gives important information about the year and the place of manufacture of the camper.


Do Pop Up Campers Have Titles? – Camper Guide

Do Pop-Up Campers Have Titles in Wisconsin? (All Facts)

How To Get A Title For A Camper Without Title – Camper FAQs

Was this helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!