Do campers have pink slips?

In this blog post, we will answer the following question: Do campers have pink slips? We will explain what vehicle titles (pink slips) are, why and when you need one and how to identify and check the title of your camper. 

Do campers have pink slips?

Yes, campers, just like any other reactionary vehicles, have pink slips, which is a certificate of title. 

A pink slip is a document that certifies who is the registered owner of the vehicle. The title also keeps and organizes the indexes or records that are necessary to facilitate the order of information about that specific vehicle. 

It is issued by the Secretary of Transportation and authorizes said motor vehicles to be driven on public roads and highways. 

 What if I don’t have my camper’s pink slip?

If the driver of a camper does not have the pink slip because the vehicle is not in their name, what it means is that they are not authorized or do not have the power to authorize other people to guide said vehicle through the public roads and highways. Nor is it authorized to make vehicle transfers or sales of the same.

If the title exists, but is lost, a duplicate can be requested.

How do you prove ownership of the camper (that it is yours) if you do not have a pink slip?

If the camper  is new, the documents that constitute proof of vehicle title will be the following:

  • Document of Origin issued by the manufacturer
  • Manufacturer’s statement of origin
  • If the transaction was carried out outside of the state, the seller’s invoice must be notarized, with an authenticated signature.
  • Any other document that the Secretary deems necessary to establish ownership, as established by the regulations. 

If the camper comes from another state/country that also uses the title system, you must provide the title. Said title must have:

  • The name of the applicant
  • Identify if the title was transferred or if there is any lien.

If there is a lien, you must:

  • The lien must appear cancelled, or
  • Include a certification from the entity that financed the purchase of the vehicle, stating its authorization for it to be transferred to  

The person must pay the Secretary the corresponding money.

If you do not have a title, you must file an application with the Court of First Instance for authorization with the Public Ministry

If the camper comes from a state or country that does not use the title system, the Registration Document, with the State seal and the Bill of Sale, recognized by a notary or notary public with signature, is necessary.

  • If it was bought at auction, a Public Auction Document is necessary that duly identifies the authorized auctioneer.
  • Certificate of transfer- Certificate of release
  • Sales document from the insurance company
  • Any other document that the Secretary finds sufficient, as established by the regulations, to prove ownership of the vehicle

For a certificate of title to be issued, it is necessary to present a receipt or supporting document stating that the corresponding taxes for that vehicle have been paid to the Secretary of the Department of the Treasury. These taxes arise by law and vary between vehicles by type, brand, cost, etc.

The vehicle must be registered. Once the registration is accepted by the Secretary, he or she will issue the owner a certificate of title.

How can I check the pink slip of a camper?

Before buying any type of vehicle, it is very important to verify that the person selling has the right to do so. This applies to buying a travel trailer as well. The title verification process is relatively easy and should not take long once a certified VIN inspector has been communicated. It can prevent you from buying a vehicle that has been stolen or that is sold by someone you don’t belong to. 

  1. Examine the trailer you are interested in for a vehicle identification number or VIN. The VIN is like a fingerprint for a vehicle. It must match the VIN that appears in the title. The VIN is printed on a metal plate and in the case of a travel trip, it is placed near the front of the trailer on the tongue, on the front of the frame, or on the side of the trailer. If no VIN is present, then a title search cannot be done.
  1. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles to determine if you should make an appointment for an inspection. In some states, you can have an inspection done without an appointment, so it is advisable that you call your local DMV office or visit your state’s DMV website.
  1. Take the trailer in question to the Department of Motor Vehicles so that the inspector can compare the VIN in the title to that printed on the vehicle’s VIN plate. The two must match exactly. The inspection is typically performed by a DMV employee specializing in VIN inspections or a county official, such as a law enforcement officer.
  1. Once the VIN and vehicle title has been compared and verified, the officer will complete and sign a title verification form provided by the DMV. There is a nominal fee charged for the inspection. It is usually less than $ 10, but it varies from state to state.

How to find a camper pink slip?

If you have not received the title of your trailer or need one to sell, it is important to keep in mind the legal ownership indicated on the document. Some states do not require mobile homeowners to possess a title. But in some cases, you won’t be able to sell your motorhome to someone else if you don’t have the title. If you have lost your title, you should apply for a new one if your state requires you to have one. 

  1. Gather the information on your motorhome you have to apply for a replacement title. You need to know the make, model, year and VIN number for your particular trailer.
  1. Contact your state Department of Motor Vehicles to obtain the necessary forms to apply for a new title. In addition to information about your trailer, you should also include personal information, such as your name, address, and social security number. This information is used to match you as the trailer owner based on the registration records.
  1. Fill out the required forms and submit them to the local DMV office along with the required title replacement fee. This fee varies by state.

What are the types of damages that can be reflected in a camper’s pink slip?

The pink slip (title) of a  camper contains important information and sometimes information about its past especially if the trauma suffered by the vehicle is considered drastic as an accident or natural disaster that caused too much damage to have been declared a total loss.

There are different types of titles that indicate what happened to the vehicle:

  • Clean title. This is considered a camper without damage.
  • Salvaged (total loss). A  camper that suffered too much damage and would cost between 75 and 100 per cent of the total cost of the vehicle to repair.
  • Rebuilt. A camper that has had a salvage title but has been rebuilt and inspected. Some states do not offer this type of title, which means that some rebuilt vehicles may still have the salvage title.
  • Scrap. The camper that has this type of title can only be sold for scrap.
  • Flood damage. A vehicle that has had extreme flood damage. Some states allow the rebuilding of these types of vehicles.
  • Fleet. This type of title is awarded to automobiles that have been used as a taxi fleet, rental vehicles, and police. This type of camper is common at auctions, has many miles driven, and has been driven by multiple drivers.
  • Lemon. The lemon title varies by state. However, if a new vehicle is considered a lemon, it means that it has been under repair for at least a month or has been presenting the same problem all the time without being able to be fixed.
  • Unknown mileage. Although it is not considered damage, many states require that the title show that the mileage is unknown. This occurs from odometer replacement or other related damage.

Final advice

When you are in the buying process remember that many vehicles can look great on the outside and have a clean title, although they may have undergone a title wash.

This occurs when a vehicle that has had problems and has been reflected in the title, has been taken to another state where the title requirements are lower and a new title is issued without the mark indicating the damage it has suffered. Hence, it is important that you have a certified mechanic inspect the vehicle and check the car’s history using the VIN number.

Please let us know if you have any questions or comments on the content!

Other FAQs about Camper Vans that you may be interested in.

How do you stop condensation in the back of a van?

How dangerous is Van life?

How can I live in a van with a cat?

FAQ on Do campers have pink slips?

Do caravans have a logbook?

No, caravans do not have a logbook, as it is not mandatory by law. Some of them will have a logbook, but the truth is that you can’t trust it because if it is not a legal requirement, a logbook is quite easy to fake and temper with.

What to look for when buying an older camper?

In most cases, second-hand campers are usually in good condition since the owners tend to take care of them (as you may very well do when you buy yours). The reasons for putting them up for sale, logically, vary depending on each case; people who bought it to try this world, economic reasons, they hardly use it, in exchange for a motorhome, etc.

What is a VIN code?

VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number or CRiS number. It is a unique code to your caravan and gives important information about the year and the place of manufacture of the camper.


Was this helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!