In today’s article, we are going to discuss: Can you tow with a Cruise America RV? We will explain the terms and conditions related to towing with a Cruise America RV. We will also explain how to safely tow a car or boat behind an RV.
Can you tow with a Cruise America RV?
Yes, you can tow with a Cruise America RV, but only if you meet certain criteria:
- You can tow a car/motorcycle/boat or install a bike rack only with their 30 feet class C motorhomes.
- You cannot tow more than 2,500 lbs/1133 kg.
- You must declare your intention to tow a vehicle before leaving the rental centre.
- Cruise America RV does not provide you with any towing equipment. You must install your own.
- There is a daily charge for towing with Cruise America RVs. This can vary between $25 and $30 a day.
Note: While Cruise America offers four RV rental options: Large, Standard, Compact, and Truck Camper, you can only tow with Class C motorhomes, as mentioned above.
How to tow a vehicle behind a Cruise America RV (terms explained)
Before towing a vehicle behind an RV, there are two things to consider. You have to choose the vehicle that will be towed by your motorhome and it is necessary to evaluate the different ways of towing it.
- Choice of the vehicle to be towed. The first step is to determine what load can tow your motorhome. Then, you have to calculate the weight of the motorhome with all its load and passengers. Then you will be able to know how much weight you can pull, including car and towing equipment.
- The type of transmission. The type of transmission of the vehicle to be towed will partly determine how you tow it. A front-wheel-drive vehicle does not tow in the same way as a rear-wheel-drive vehicle or a 4×4. You also have to consider automatic or manual transmission.
Read the guide for your vehicle carefully so you know the best way to tow it. If in any doubt, don’t hesitate to call the manufacturer’s customer service department.
- Choice of the towing system. This is a system that is used to tow cars with all four wheels on the ground. If you’ve determined that your car can be towed this way, you can use a tow bar, which is space-saving and easy to use. However, there are some drawbacks to this method.
Some cars are not designed to have a base for attaching to the tow bar. You will therefore have to have one made to measure, which is rather expensive. Additionally, some vehicles will accumulate mileage while towing.
- The towing cart. This is a small two-wheeled trailer (also called load wheels) with two ramps on which two of the wheels of the towed car are mounted. The car only keeps the rear wheels on the ground.
Again, not all cars have the right drivetrain for this type of towing. In addition, you will have to disassemble the diabolo from the motorhome once you arrive at your destination.
- The flatbed trailer. With this type of trailer, you can transport any vehicle, it goes without saying. On the other hand, the flatbed trailer is heavy and must be taken into consideration when calculating the towing capacity of your motorhome. In addition, it takes up a lot of space, and it is not certain that you will always be able to find a place for it to set up on your campsite.
Not to mention that you need more space to get the car in and out. In other words, it’s a rather cumbersome solution! Not ideal for nomads.
At the end of the day, you have two options: either you buy a car for its towing ability, or you choose a towing method that suits the car you own.
- Tow chains and straps. Using a chain or towing strap is not only scary but dangerous. The towed vehicle is neutral, with no braking mechanism in operation. Never put someone in a towed vehicle as it is illegal.
The laws governing how to tow a vehicle with a chain dictate that it must be a very short distance, it must not go on the road and that if the towed vehicle is more than three meters behind the towing vehicle you must have some type of indicator on the chain or straps, such as a brightly coloured flag, to show the towing situation.
You must break with extreme caution, as the towed vehicle will not be able to brake. If you tow by this method you should never exceed 20 mph (32.2 km / h).
- The tow bar. A rented or owned tow bar is usually shaped like an A. It is solidly mounted on the towed vehicle. The front of the tow bar connects to a tow ball (hitch) installed in the car. A tow bar requires safety chains between both vehicles in case of any kind of failure. This method requires a controller that is used for long distances on high-speed highways.
All the rules of the tow vehicle being bigger and heavier still apply, but braking can be a bit tricky. If the brakes are applied in a curve, the rear car will tend to push the rear end of the tow car to the outside of the curve, which could cause a bend or run out of control if done too quickly.
- Towing platform. A tow dolly will keep the front tires of the towed vehicle off the ground. A tow dolly is nothing more than a small trailer. When using one of these all the rules of towing should still be followed, such as using the larger vehicle as a trailer for a smaller one.
This method also requires a tow ball (hitch) on the towing vehicle. This is the safest method as it will allow more freedom for the rear vehicle while still creating a bit of thrust when stopping. The best option is still to brake before making any kind of turn. These two dollies are lightweight and easily profitable.
A tow vehicle for transportation is the best and safest option to tow a car with a Cruise America RV. . It is a device where the vehicle is literally mounted on a flat surface to transport. However, you will need to use a truck to compensate for the weight of the trailer.
Note: Before starting the journey, check your flatbed trailer’s tail lights and tires to make sure you’re ready for a safe ride. Check your RVs and minivan tires to make sure they are properly inflated.
If you have any questions or comments on the content, please let us know!
FAQ on Can you tow with a Cruise America RV?
How do I know how much I can tow?
If you can’t find a scale, calculate the weight of the vehicle by adding the total of the empty car, the weight of the passengers, and the cargo. Subtract the loaded weight of your vehicle from the total gross weight. The resulting figure is your towing capacity.
What is the towing capacity?
Towing capacity is the maximum amount of weight your vehicle can safely tow. Many types of vehicles can tow as long as you meet their specific guidelines. … A good way to find out your towing limit is to find out what the gross combined weight ratio (GCWR) of your vehicle is.
What happens when you exceed your vehicle’s towing capacity?
When you exceed your vehicle’s towing capacity you bring a series of consequences for your card, such as engine overheating; tire failure, overloading the drivetrain, CO2 emissions increase among others.
Can a motorhome tow a caravan?
A motorhome can tow a caravan, trailer, boat, car or truck, as long as the tow doesn’t exceed the maximum towing capacity of the motorhome.