In this blog post, we will answer the following question: Can you rent an RV at 18 years old? We will discuss age and other requirements for RV leasing. We will also briefly explain the process of renting an RV in the US.
Can you rent an RV at 18 years old?
In the US, you cannot rent an RV at 18 years old. The minimum age for RV rental is 25 years old in all states. In some (very rare) cases, certain rental companies may rent an RV to a 21 years old customer, only if you take out additional insurance cover!
What are other requirements to rent an RV in the United States?
Of course, you can lease an RV just as you would lease a car. There are several conditions you must meet, however:
- Driving license: The driving license must be appropriate according to the type of motorhome to be rented. In the event that it is a vehicle less than 7,700 lbs, a type B license will suffice. Otherwise, you will need the C card. If you are not a resident of the United States, the driving license must be an international driving license or approved for driving in the country.
- Minimum period: Most companies will request a minimum period of lease days. It is mainly due to the expense of the vehicle’s own maintenance and revisions that must be made between one rental and another. Unless otherwise stated, the mileage is usually unlimited.
- Making a reservation: When making the reservation, the vast majority request that 30% of the total rent be paid. This means that this forecast should be taken into account if the rental is made well in advance.
- Deposit: Like any other rental, a deposit is required when taking the vehicle. The deposit may vary depending on the model of the motorhome chosen. An average amount of deposit could be between 600 and 1000 dollars.
The method of payment of the deposit is usually the credit card and once the vehicle has been delivered, this amount will be reimbursed to the chosen card.
- The return: The RV must be returned in the same conditions in which it was rented. If there is any alteration or damage, it could affect the deposit itself that has been reserved.
It is essential to know what the rental price includes and what does not. For example, one of the biggest doubts is fuel, which is not usually included. Check the rental contract about the fuel conditions. The document must specify what the price per litre is if it is delivered with less fuel than it had.
- Motorhome rental taxation: One of the common questions is what happens if you rent a motorhome as a self-employed person. What must be clear in these cases is whether it is your main economic activity or not. This means that, if it is used as a means of obtaining income, then yes.
What age do you need to be to rent an RV across the world?
In the table below we tell you about the age requirements for renting an RV on different sides of the world:
|USA||25 y.o||21 y.o with some rental companies if you take additional cover|
|Canada||Between 21 and 25 y.o||You must be the main driver; any additional driver must meet the minimum age requirements|
|Australia||21 y.o||18 y.o with some companies if you hold a valid driver’s licence and pay a young driver’s surcharge.|
|UK||21 y.o||25 y.o with some rental companies. You must hold a valid and full driver liicence.|
|Europe||25 y.o||Some countries require special permits/vignettes/motorway passes.|
The process of renting an RV
Renting an RV is not too different from renting a car. You first make an inventory of the vehicle. Then you sign the rental contract and hand over the keys.
When making the inventory, take care to make a complete tour of the vehicle! Take pictures of the interior and exterior of the motorhome. Note the scratches and dents, check the cleanliness of the vehicle, the beds, the curtains, test the operation of the taps … Pay attention to every detail! A precise inventory allows both parties to avoid any misunderstanding when returning the motorhome!
When picking up the RV, be focused and ask the owner any questions that seem insightful to you at the time. Don’t be afraid to look silly! Better than finding yourself broken down because you didn’t dare ask this or that question or because you weren’t careful enough! Be sure to have an explanation of the emptying and filling of water.
Also, ask how the gas and heating system works and note the mileage, both for departure and for the return.
Regarding the establishment of the rental contract: mention the exact terms of the transaction, the rental period, the amount, the deposit paid, the deposit, the authorized mileage …
Take insurance! It is preferable for the owner to take out insurance to cover the risks (in the event of theft, damage, etc.). Besides, he must also check if the rental is possible. The tenant can also ask his usual insurance to transfer the risks of his usual vehicle to the motorhome during the rental period.
Ask for a payment guarantee (owner) and a deposit! The owner can request an advance at the time of booking (usually 30%). In general, the transfer is the safest means of payment. As for the deposit, it covers claims and damage caused to the vehicle. If all has gone well, it must be returned at the end of the rental agreement.
Most websites specializing in rentals between individuals manage this security deposit and also pay for its payment in the event of a return without funds (this is the case with Wikicampers).
How much does it cost to rent an RV?
Depending on whether it is high or midseason, the price is not the same. To keep in general terms, let’s say that rental costs between $80 and $180 per day, depending on the RV (its age, location, etc.), the rental company and the time of year. A very wide range.
Here are the average costs of renting a camper van:
- Prices per day for 2, 3 and 4 seater RVs:
- LOW season from $98
- MID season from $125
- HIGH season from $45
- Prices per day for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 seat RVs:
- LOW season from $105
- MEDIUM Season from $135
- HIGH season from $165
Tip: Check what equipment is provided with the RV lease. If you need bicycle racks or child seats, ask your rental company. Most will be able to provide it to you (not always for free…).
The same goes for the folding table and chairs. Kitchen utensils, crockery and household equipment are usually provided automatically. It even happens that some basic ingredients (coffee, oil, salt and pepper…) are already in the cupboards. Sheets and towels, on the other hand, are more often the responsibility of the tenant.
In general, remember that rental companies are used to answering questions relating to equipment and accessories. They will provide you with a detailed list of available accessories.
No surprise: an RV rental works like a car rental, with inventory and keys being handed over on departure. At this stage, pay close attention to all the hirer’s indications. To make sure you stay focused and don’t miss half of it, take notes.
Do you have any questions or want to share your experience on renting an RV? Let us know!
FAQ on Can you rent an RV at 18 years old?
What are the prices for renting a motorhome?
Depending on whether it is high or midseason, the price is not the same for renting a motorhome. To keep in general terms, let’s say that rental costs between $80 and $180 per day, depending on the motorhome (its age, location, etc.), the rental company and the time of year.
What is the price of a weekly rental for an RV?
This cost varies depending on the vehicle chosen, whether it is a travel trailer or Class C RV, for example. You will therefore inevitably find a vehicle that will meet your needs and your budget. Count between $600 and $900 per week of rental.
How do I rent out my motorhome?
Motorhome owners can create an ad on a personal rental website. The tenants then contact them on the platform and come to collect the vehicle from the owner.
How to go to the United States by motorhome?
To transport your van or motorhome to the United States, you will have several choices at your disposal. It is possible, for example, to take a cruise ship to cross the Atlantic and get there with your RV.