In this blog post, we will answer the question: “Can you put a truck camper on a Toyota Tacoma?” We will list the key features of the Toyota Tacoma and discuss the best campers that are well-matched for the Toyota Tacoma. We will also add a few tips to choose the right camper for the Toyota Tacoma.
Can you put a truck camper on a Toyota Tacoma?
Yes, you can put a truck camper on a Toyota Tacoma. With a truck bed length of 73.7 inches, the Toyota Tacoma is a perfect vehicle for installing a truck camper. The width of the Toyota Tacoma is 41.5 inches making it easy enough to fix some of the best truck campers. Here are the dimensions of the Toyota Tacoma listed below.
- Bed length – 6.1 feet (73.7 inches).
- Bed width – 5 feet (41.5 inches).
- Bed depth – 1.5 feet (19.1 inches).
- Inside bed length – 5.4 feet (60.5 inches)
With enough length and width, the Toyota Tacoma can easily accommodate a truck camper. The Toyota Tacoma also has the right specifications for towing and carrying a camper with ease. Below are the weight specifications of the Toyota Tacoma.
- Gross weight – 5,600 pounds
- Maximum payload – 1,155 pounds
- Maximum towing capacity – 6,400 pounds
- Curb weight – 4,445 pounds.
Toyota Tacoma key features
- 6-speed automatic transmission
- V6 cylinder base engine
- 265 lb-ft @ 6,000 rpm torque
- 278 hp @ 6,000 rpm horsepower
- 3.5-liter base engine
- 24 valve with variable valve timing.
With some of the best key features, the Toyota Tacoma is a powerful truck that is built for towing and off-road driving. The Toyota Tacoma can tow any camper that is below 6,400 pounds. It can also tow some of the lightweight trailers with ease by attaching them to the truck bed. This vehicle was manufactured for transporting goods and it can be easily converted into a camper.
Best campers for the Toyota Tacoma
The Toyota Tacoma was one of its kind as it soon became famous and is still considered one of the best mid-size pickup trucks. However, few campers are a good match for the Toyota Tacoma. Here are some of the best campers and their features that are a perfect fit for the Toyota Tacoma.
The Vagabond Drifter
The Vagabond drifter is one of those campers that can sit perfectly on the bed of the Toyota Tacoma. These campers are customizable and they have the right weight and capacity that is well-matched for the Toyota Tacoma. The Vagabond Drifter is built to last long and it is lightweight due to the aluminum construction.
The aerodynamics of this camper is exceptionally good and it also comes with specialized insulation and power connections. With a 4-speed fan and 100-inch track roof mounts, the Vagabond drifter also has several add-ons and it has a sleek and compact design. Here are some of the specs of the Vagabond Drifter listed below.
- Aluminum construction
- One-piece lid design
- Insulated ceiling
- A dry weight of 315 pounds.
- Three-inch high-density two-piece mattress with cover.
Scout Yoho 6.0
The Scout Yoho 6.0 is heavier than the previous model with a dry weight of 913 pounds. The Toyota Tacoma can carry this camper with ease given the payload capacity. These are hard-sided truck campers and they can easily accommodate three or four people to sleep comfortably. This truck camper is perfect for a family of four.
Some of the biggest perks of this camper are that it arrives with a 160-watt solar panel. It has a four-person dinette that can be converted into a sleeping space. The dual five-pound propane bottles are an added advantage. The Scout Yoho 6.0 has plenty of upgrade options including a refrigerator, freezer, and portable water tank is required.
- 75-inch interior height
- 78-inch exterior height
- 74.75-inch width
- 126.25-inch overall length
- 69.75-inch floor length
- A dry weight of 913 pounds.
GFC platform camper
The GFC platform camper arrives with a queen-size mattress and it is perfect for a couple. The camper can be extended into a spacious tent and it can be removed whenever necessary. Other optional features can be added. This camper can be customized and it is probably one of the lightest options for the Toyota Tacoma.
- A dry weight of 80 pounds
- 50 inches for height
- Queen mattress
- 50 x 90 interior dimensions
Kimbo 6 campers
The Kimbo 6 camper was designed based on the dimensions and specs of the Toyota Tacoma. This is a hard-sided camper with riveted aluminum on the walls. It also comes equipped with R5 foam to keep you warm during winters. During summer, your camper will stay warm. You also get removable lift jacks and a 400-watt solar generator.
- 12-volt USB ports
- Energy-efficient dimmable LED lights
- A dry weight of 1,100 pounds
- Sleeping space for three people
- Aluminum construction
- 3-foot high cab over bunk
- 6.5 feet internal height
Overland equipment habitat
This Overland equipment is a popup camper that has an expandable tent. This camper is one of the best truck toppers that are perfect for the Toyota Tacoma. This camper can accommodate two adults and one child to sleep comfortably. However, several floorplans come along with the Overland equipment, just be sure to get the right one.
- 53-inch wide on top
- 93.5-inch length on top
- 5.5 to 6.5-inch bed length
- A dry weight of 340 pounds.
Four-wheel camper fleet
The four-wheel camper fleet is one of the best campers when it comes to interior space. This camper is easy to install and remove and it comes with the best comforts. This camper has good aerodynamics and it also has a kitchenette with a spacious sink and a two-burner gas stove. The 20-gallon water storage tank and queen-size bed are the added advantages.
- 1.7-cubic foot RV absorption refrigerator
- 54-inch height
- 128-inch roof length
- 75-inch body width
- 20-gallon fresh water capacity
- 6.4-inch interior headroom when popped up
- 80-inch floor length
- A dry weight of 1045 pounds.
The Phoenix Mini is probably one of the best options when it comes to features. This camper weighs more than the other campers, but they come with some of the best features. This camper even comes with a wet bath and an 18-gallon fresh water storage tank. It also has a cassette toilet and it is one of those hybrid hard-sided truck campers.
- 72.5-inch floor length
- 12-inch overall length
- 85-inch width
- 6.3-inch interior height
- 53-inch exterior height
- Wet weight of 2,035 pounds
- A dry weight of 1,209 pounds
- Wet bath with cassette toilet
- 18-gallon fresh water tank
- 8-gallon gray water tank.
Those were some of the best campers that are perfect for the Toyota Tacoma. These truck campers have enough room and exceptional camping features. Most importantly, they are compatible with the Toyota Tacoma. These campers have the right gross weight and dry weight that matches the payload capacity of the Toyota Tacoma.
Tips to choose the right camper for a Toyota Tacoma
When choosing a camper for a Toyota Tacoma these are the few things that you need to look into.
Look for the dry weight and payload capacity
- Look for a camper that has a dry weight that is roughly 80 percent of the payload capacity.
- The payload capacity of the Toyota Tacoma can vary from 1,050 to 1,685 pounds. This depends on the various trim levels, but be sure that the camper does not extend the payload capacity of the vehicle.
Check the camper dimensions
- The dimensions are important as the camper needs to sit correctly on the truck bed. Be sure to look into the floorplans and the dimensions. The floorplan and the dimensions need to fit well within the truck bed.
Look for proper ventilation and insulation
- The insulation and ventilation are pretty important in a camper and you will need to have good insulation to keep you warm and cold. On the other hand, you will need to have good ventilation for proper air.
Get easy installation campers
- A camper must be easy to install, be sure to get one that is light and sturdy at the same time. You should be able to uninstall a camper whenever necessary.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “Can you put a truck camper on a Toyota Tacoma?” We have listed the key features of the Toyota Tacoma and discussed the best campers that are well-matched for the Toyota Tacoma. We have also added a few tips to choose the right camper for the Toyota Tacoma.