Can you make two single caravan beds into a double?
In this blog post, we will answer the question: “Can you make two single caravan beds into a double?” We will also talk about the methods to make two single caravan beds into a double. We will discuss the steps, essentials, and a few extra tips to consider while turning two single caravan beds into a double.
Can you make two single caravan beds into a double?
Yes, you can make two single caravan beds into a double. It is easy to make two single caravan beds into a double. However, the most crucial part is to have enough space and the right ideas. You will also require specific tools and materials to make two single caravan beds in a double.
Most caravans arrive with several single beds, but some campers require a queen-size or double bed. Having a double bed is essential for those who travel as a couple. In some cases, campers simply want more space to relax and move around while sleeping. The good news is that it is possible to make two single caravan beds into a double.
Methods to make two single caravan beds into a double
There are several methods to make two single caravan beds into a double. Just measure the available space and ensure enough room to add another bed. Here are a few methods to make two single caravan beds into a double.
Use a mattress bridge
- Only a few people are aware of the option of a mattress bridge. A mattress bridge is sold explicitly for people who want to make two single beds into a double. A mattress bridge is the easiest and fastest way to connect two beds. However, in a caravan, you must secure one bed near the other.
- Purchase a mattress bridge to make two single caravan beds into a double. There are plenty of options and sizes for all types of beds. Make sure to get the right type of mattress bright based on the measurements of your bed.
- Select an extra wide bed bridge connector with a converter kit strap. A mattress bridge is easy to install in less than a few minutes.
- All you need to do is place the mattress bridge between the two mattresses. Make sure that it is secure. Use the bedspread on top to cover the gap.
Get a bed conversion kit
- A bed conversion kit still needs to be one of those well-known methods among the camper community. Only a few people are aware of a bed conversion kit. A bed conversion kit not only helps to join two single caravan beds together, but it also upgrades your sleep.
- A bed conversion kit arrives with brackets or the essential hardware to join the bed frames. Bed conversion kits are secure, and they are easy to assemble. These kits come with instructions for insulation and are also provided at a decent price.
Build a custom bed frame
- Another option is to build a custom bed frame. While this might seem like a lot of work, it is still doable and will help make two single caravan beds into a double. You will need to measure the width of both single mattresses and design the bed frame according to the width.
- You will need to use strong materials to construct the bed frame. Use wood or metal to build a custom bed frame. Ensure the bed frame is strong enough to bear the weight of both mattresses.
- You use wood to build the custom bed frame. The most important part is getting the bed frame to the right bed measurements. Use enough support at the corners while building the bed frame.
Build a custom bed cushion
- Another option is to build a custom bed cushion. A custom bed cushion will help bridge the gap between the two single beds. You will be required to measure the length and width of the gap when you place both beds near.
- Using a custom bed cushion is similar to using a mattress bridge. The only difference is that you can make the cushion independently. Fill the cushion with foam or cotton, depending on your preference. Use comfortable material such as fabric to match the caravan’s bed.
Consider a bed extension
- A bed extension might not be one of the best ideas, but it is still effective. Consider extending one of the single beds to provide a larger sleeping space. This step requires several modifications, and it is best to keep it as the last option.
- A bed extension can be challenging since you must attach and build an extended section to the existing bed frame. You will be required to add additional support to stabilize the structure.
Use portable bed toppers
- Using portable bed toppers can also be a way to make two single caravan beds into a double. Portable bed toppers are mainly utilized as camping pads. These toppers are made for couples and double beds.
- They are easy to use, and they also help to provide a wider sleeping area. For single beds, you must place the topper on top of the single bed and secure them with sheets. The sheets must be strapped to prevent movement when in use.
Sliding bed mechanism
- The sliding bed mechanism is mainly found in campervans with a sofa-to-bed conversion. A sliding bed mechanism will bring two single caravan beds into one. You can quickly develop the sliding bed mechanism by manually motorizing it.
- This mechanism requires plenty of work and must be securely locked in place. It is advised to hire an expert while installing a sliding bed mechanism.
Consider a fold-out bed platform
- A fold-out bed platform is also one of the options to make two single caravan beds into a double. A fold-out bed platform can be pulled out to bridge the gap between the two single beds. This platform can go under the other bed when not in use. The fold-out platform can be pulled out when necessary to create a double bed surface.
Those were some methods to make two single caravan beds into a double. It is easy to convert two single beds into a double, but the most crucial part is considering the available space, weight limitations, structural integrity of the caravan, etc. It is also essential to check the stability and safety of the bed.
Another important tip is to properly secure the frame of beds to the caravan’s floor. Get the correct measurements and try to use lightweight material. Check if the caravan’s structure and weight capacity accommodate a large bed. Try not to impact the other elements and features of the caravan and the layout.
In this blog post, we have answered the question: “Can you make two single caravan beds into a double?” We have also discussed the methods of making two single caravan beds into a double. We discussed the steps, essentials, and a few extra tips to consider while turning two caravan beds into double.