Can an Impala tow a trailer?
In this short review, we will answer the following question: Can an Impala tow a trailer? We will discuss the Chevy Impala towing capacity, performance and other technical data.
Can an Impala tow a trailer?
An Impala could tow a small trailer or lightweight pop-up/Teardrop camper. Before towing a trailer with your Chevy, check the following three important points about weight:
- Trailer Weight – What is the maximum trailer weight your vehicle can safely tow? She should never weigh more than 454 kg (1,000 lb). However, even this weight can be too great.
- The tongue weight. – It is important to take into consideration the tongue weight (A) of a trailer, as it affects the total or gross weight of your vehicle. Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) includes the curb weight of the vehicle as well as the weight of cargo and passengers.
- Total Weight Resting on Vehicle Tires – Make sure vehicle tires are inflated to the maximum recommended limit for cold tires. These numbers appear on the Tire and Loading Information label.
Chevrolet Impala Towing Capacity
|Max Towing Capacity (lbs)||Max Towing Capacity (kg)|
|Chevrolet Impala (2001)||6500 lbs||2952 kg|
|Chevrolet Impala LS (2009)||1715 lbs||778 kg|
|Chevrolet Impala LT (2008)||1000 lbs||454 kg|
|Chevrolet Impala LT (2009)||1000 lbs||454 kg|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ (2009)||2645 lbs||1200 kg|
|Chevrolet Impala SS (2009)||2645 lbs||1200 kg|
|Chevrolet Impala (2014)||1,000 lbs||454 kg|
|Chevrolet Impala (2015)||1,000 lbs||454 kg|
|Chevrolet Impala (2016)||1,000 lbs||454 kg|
|Chevrolet Impala (2017)||1,000 lbs||454 kg|
|Chevrolet Impala (2018)||1,000 lbs||454 kg|
|Chevrolet Impala (2019)||1,000 lbs||454 kg|
|Chevrolet Impala (2020)||1,000 lbs||454 kg|
How to tow with a Chevy Impala
A trailer can add an infinite number of options to your vehicle. Whether you are towing a caravan, ATV, or trailer, you must determine if the vehicle is capable of the task before hitting the road. A towing trailer can be a difficult task that requires a bit of experience and skill to execute safely.
The extra size and shape can dramatically change the way the vehicle handles and the brakes. With a little knowledge and practice, anyone can learn this skill.
- Determine the total weight of the trailer and the weight of the tongue. The total weight can be printed on the trailer data plate under GTW (Gross Trailer Weight). You will have to add the weight of whatever cargo the trailer is carrying.
The weight of the tongue is the force applied downward on the connection to the vehicle. This can be estimated at approximately 15 per cent of the GTW. For a more accurate reading, there are scales that can be used to determine this number.
- Determine your Chevy’s towing capacity. This information will be included in the owner’s manual. The important numbers will be the maximum towing weight and maximum tongue weight. Be sure to line up the vehicle model and engine type in the capacities, as these numbers may vary within the same Chevy vehicle.
- Determine the trailer hitches capabilities. Towing with a chassis-mounted trailer hitch is recommended rather than a bumper-mounted hitch due to its limited capabilities. Trailer hitches come in several classes:
- Class I (. Up to 2,000 lbs.),
- Class II (. Up to 3,500 lbs.),
- Class III (. Up to 5,000 lbs.)
- And Class IV (. Up to 10,000 lbs.)
- Determine if the Chevy can safely tow the trailer with the information obtained. The vehicle and hitch capacities must both be greater than the total mass of the trailer and the weight of the tongue.
- Attach the vehicle hitch to the trailer tongue. Using a second person to guide you, return the Chevy to the trailer and align the connections. Lower the trailer coupler onto the ball and lock the firing bolt with a hitch pin. Attach the right trailer chain to the left side of the vehicle hitch and the left chain to the right. Connect the trailer wiring to the vehicle.
- Test the bike trailer lights through all variations of the brakes, signals, and tail lights with a second person at the back verifying proper lighting. Take a full walk around the vehicle and trailer, double-check the connections and condition of the tow vehicle and trailer.
Other questions you may be interested in
Chevrolet Impala: Engine and safety when towing
With the Chevrolet Impala, we have at our disposal the 2.5-litre direct injection Ecotec DOHC engine, associated with a 6-speed automatic transmission. Traction is at the front.
The front suspension is McPherson, and the rear has 4 links. On safety, the 2018 Chevrolet Impala offers us the following:
- 10 airbags
- Rearview camera
- Disc brake
- 4-wheel anti-lock disc
- Daytime running lights
- Electronic stability control system
- Electric door lock
- Electronic traction control
The front grille has a beautiful chrome visual design. The rectangular lighting system with LED technology is also striking. The bumper is clean with support from the grille since it partially adopts the design of it with two fog lights with LED technology.
The hood is wide and elegant. It has few mouldings as well as the sides of the car, with only two horizontal lines. There is little moulding also in the lower part of the doors, so much so that in that part only a thin chrome plate with the model name predominates.
In the cabin of the Chevrolet Impala, we find a beautiful and emblematic very wide dashboard with a professional design that is noted with a curved design and wrapped in leather.
Inside we also have LED lighting. In the seats, the leather upholstery with headrest and armrests stands out. The driver’s seat supports 8-way power adjustment, and the passenger seat also supports 4-way power adjustment.
We can find more technological accessories such as electronic speed control, adaptive cruise control, electric locks and glasses, keyless ignition, leather upholstered gear lever, and collision alert assistant.
Chevrolet Impala: Technical sheet
The technical sheet of the Chevrolet Impala tells us about a mid-range car with high-end claims. Its mere presence is already imposing, as it is a sedan of large dimensions and luxurious shapes. Comfortable as few, it does not have many rivals in terms of cargo space.
However, the new features of the Chevrolet Impala come hand in hand with more powerful standard Wi-Fi and new wheel locks. It also expands its line of interior finishes. Now add new shades to the fabric and a spectacular Jet Black Premium synthetic leather finish. But of course, it is the 60th anniversary, how not to renew it. The good news for the 2019 Chevrolet Impala is that it already had majestic standard equipment.
The previous generation dates from 2014 and keeping the lines from then makes it look a bit outdated. However, its main market is the United States, where they like classic and large cars. The 2019 Chevrolet Impala is both. In fact, its length exceeds five meters. It’s 5.11 meters, impressive to see.
On the other hand, being a sports line, it doesn’t make as much noise. Also helps its elegant ceiling, copied by many manufacturers since then. More than anything, because of the spectacular interior space it allows.
Tire size, by the way, starts at an 18-inch base, on LS and LT trims. The top-of-the-range finish, Premier, mounts 19-inch wheels, expandable to 20.
Regardless, the Chevrolet Impala is not lacking in safety. Earn NHTSA’s top five stars for safety.
FAQ on Can an Impala tow a trailer?
How do I know if I can tow a trailer?
The actual mass of the assembly (actual mass of the car plus the actual mass of the trailer) must not exceed the authorized gross vehicle weight (GVWR) entered on the vehicle registration document; The actual mass of your trailer must not exceed 30% of the actual mass of your car
What percentage of max towing capacity is safe?
A percentage of 80% or 75% of max towing capacity would be safe and recommendable.
Can a Chevy Cruze pull a pop up camper?
Yes, a Chevy Cruze could pull a pop-up camper, light trailer or a small boat. This car has a towing capacity of 1000 lbs. (450 kg).
- Increasing towing capacity | Impala Forums
- Chevy Impala as Tow Vehicle – Fiberglass RV
- Chevrolet Impala Towing Capacity – Can it Pull a Camper Trailer …