In this article, we will answer the following questions: Can a Zafira tow a caravan? Can a
Can a Zafira tow a caravan? Can a Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 tow a caravan? We will speak briefly about Vauxhall Zafira’s engine and performance.
Can a Zafira tow a caravan?
This will surprise many, but a Vauxhall Zafira can tow a caravan, especially if you have the Zafira Tourer that can reach up to 1750 kg towing capacity. The 1.6 and 2.0-litre diesel engines are the best choices, they have decent power and the best-operating costs.
Vauxhall Zafira Towing Capacity
|Year and model||Towing Capacity From||Towing Capacity To|
|Vauxhall Zafira (1999 – 2005) 1.6||500 kg||1150kg|
|Vauxhall Zafira (1999 – 2005) 1.8||600 kg||1300kg|
|Vauxhall Zafira (1999 – 2005) 2.0||600 kg||1050 kg|
|Vauxhall Zafira (1999 – 2005) 2.2 SRi||600 kg||1300kg|
|Vauxhall Zafira (2005 – 2014) 1.6i||750 kg||1000kg|
|Vauxhall ZAFIRA DIESEL TOURER 2.0 CDTi||750 kg||1750 kg|
Can a Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 tow a caravan?
With a maximum towing capacity of 1100 kg, the Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 will manage to tow a caravan even in more harsh conditions. Like we already mentioned, the 1.6 and 2.0-litre diesel engines are the best choices, they have decent power and the best-operating costs.
Technical specifications of Opel Zafira A (T3000) 1.6 16V (101 hp) – 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003
- The year of the beginning of the production – 1999 year
- Year of production cessation – 2003 year
- Powertrain architecture Internal combustion engine
- Body type – Minibus
- Number of seats – 7
- Number of doors – 5
- Fuel consumption – urban 10.9 l / 100 km
- Fuel consumption – extra-urban 6.5 l / 100 km
- Fuel type – Gasoline
- Acceleration 0 – 100 km / h – 13 sec
- Acceleration 0 – 62 mph – 13 sec
- Acceleration 0 – 60 mph – 12.4 sec
- Top speed – 176 km / h (109.36 mph)
- Weight / power ratio – 12.9 kg / hp, 77.7 hp / ton
- Engine Power – 101 hp @ 6000 rpm
- Power per liter working volume – 63.2 HP / l
- Torque – 150 Nm @ 3600 rpm; 110.63 lb.-ft. @ 3600 rot / min
- Engine location – Front, Transverse
- Engine volume – 1598 cm3
- Number of cylinders – 4.
Other questions you may be interested in
Vauxhall Zafira: all you need to know
The second generation of the Vauxhall Zafira minivan was introduced in 2004, and sales began in early 2005. After the first generation managed to approach its customers with a very generous level of space and modularity that surpassed the competition, Vauxall brought a mature design and a generation of much better engines.
From a mechanical point of view, the Zafira used the same technical platform as the Astra H, with a semi-independent rear axle and competed in the market with models such as the Volkswagen Touran, which was its main rival or the Renault Scenic.
With a length of 4.46 meters, the Zafira continued to offer a generous level of interior space, but also the Flex7 seat system, which allowed multiple positions to raise the comfort level. Optionally, the Zafira was available with 7 seats, the last ones being foldable from the trunk. The road-holding was safe and the driving comfort was high.
Zafira – range of engines
Zafira B was offered throughout the production cycle with five petrol engines and four types of diesel. The range was opened by a 1.6-litre gasoline engine with 105 hp and was continued with 1.6 VVT (115 hp), 1.8 VVT (140 hp), 2.2 VVT (150 hp) and 2.0 Turbo (200 hp).
The top version was powered by a 240 hp 2.0 Turbo engine and was marketed under the OPC logo. For fans of diesel engines, there were: 1.7 CDTI (110 hp and 125 hp) and 1.9 CDTI (120 hp and 150 hp). The 1.9 CDTI diesel is a very successful engine, being also our recommendation for the Zafira minivan.
Vauxhall Zafira – reliability and maintenance
In terms of maintenance, Zafira is a model that does not bring high costs. The revisions are affordable, as are the parts, which can be easily found by many aftermarket manufacturers.
From the point of view of reliability, the important problems are caused by the failure of the air conditioning system or the clogging of the particulate filter (for models equipped with such a thing). At 1.9 CDTI there were problems with admission, but these were remedied after 2006.
Vauxhall Zafira engines
- 1.6 MPI 105 and 115 horsepower – Yes, you have a reliable engine, but at what price? Both engines require induction coils but at least the 115 horsepower is Euro 5.
- 1.8 MPI 140 horsepower – An excellent engine on the Zafira and beyond. Occasionally it needs induction coils and ECUs, but overall the 1.6 and 1.8 gas stations are the most reliable in the EcoTec family.
- 2.0 Turbo 200 and 240 horsepower – Legend has it that this engine is excellent for testing what the children ate in the morning. The idea is that if you drive it as if you had 240 horses, at the first curve taken at speed the little ones will send from their stomachs to the window everything they ate. Surprisingly reliable instead.
- 2.2 MPI 150 horsepower – An old-fashioned engine than required in friendship, I say avoid this engine. Of course, if you have a bizarre fetish for changing the distribution chains then this engine is for you!
- 1.7 CDTi 110 and 125 horsepower – Came in 2009 to shoot in the 1.9 CDTi, this diesel is borrowed from Isuzu. Now, instead, it has changed to the Euro 5 norm and that does not mean that it is better. On the contrary, it now has a particle filter that decreases in reliability and also has a different ECU, which again decreases in reliability.
- 1.9 120 and 150 horsepower CDTi – Great care for those from 2005 because they are Euro 3. Otherwise, the 120 horsepower is quite reliable and has problems only with the water pump, alternator and distribution rollers.
Vauxhall Zafira: General problems
Problems with electronics and wire insulation so check any light bulb and any button, from headlights to tail lights. Especially check the radio unit because it has a habit of starting on its own. Not that it would be a problem to have a party in front of the block, but you run out of battery.
The sapphire resembles the Astra, so you also get the rear doors designed so well that the wiring gnaws and no longer responds to the button closure. Basically, you press the lock button, the front doors really close, but the rear ones remain open.
For those few owners of Zafira with automatic transmission, the radiator can release antifreeze on the route, usually directly on the automatic transmission. You also have to spend money on the automatic gearbox oil changes, I say take a manual gearbox.
The Vauxhall Zafira comes standard with 7 seats, has decent engines (excluding basic engines), is cheap to buy and is resistant to abuse. Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, higher than my aspirations for this car project and overall decent as a car.
Do you agree with us? Don’t hesitate to leave a comment or ask us any questions about the content.
FAQ on Can a Zafira tow a caravan?
What weight caravan can a Vauxhall Mokka tow?
A Vauxhall Mokka can tow a braked caravan that weights up to 1600 kgs (depending on the model), and an unbraked caravan of 500 kgs maximum weight.
How much can a Vauxhall Insignia tow?
A Vauxhall Insignia can tow a maximum braked weight of 1600 kg and a maximum unbraked weight of 750 kg.
Can a Vauxhall Crossland tow a caravan?
A Vauxhall Crossland can successfully tow a small or medium caravan. The car’s towing capacity ranges from 650 to 840 kg.
What is a Vauxhall versatility pack?
A Vauxhall versatility pack is an option pack that adds a variable-height boot floor and a centre rear armrest for the rear seat that also doubles as a load-through ski hatch.