Can a VW Eos tow a caravan?
Today we are going to answer the following questions: Can a VW Eos tow a caravan? How do I know if my car can tow a trailer? What are some lightweight trailers? What are the risks of driving too loaded? All the answers (and more) in this article.
Can a VW Eos tow a caravan?
Following the 85% rule, a VW Eos can tow a caravan of 1315,8kg. The kerb weight of the car is 1548 kgs and has a towing capacity of 1500 kg. As a towing vehicle, the VW Eos delivers 236 lb/ft of torque. Please see the below table for more information.
Volkswagen Eos Towing Capacity
|Year||Towing capacity from||Towing capacity to|
- Kerb weight: 1548 kg’s
- Un-braked Manufacturers towing capacity: 750 kg’s
- Braked Manufacturers towing capacity: 1500 kg’s
- 75% of Kerb weight: 1161 kgs
- 85% of Kerb weight: 1315.8 kgs
- 95% of Kerb weight: 1470.6 kgs
Our honest opinion on the VW Eos
With good weather just around the corner, models like the Volkswagen Eos make a lot of sense to use as a towing vehicle. The Eos was one of the best representatives among the so booming coupe-Cabrio vehicles of the moment, and today you can enjoy it for not much money.
At the beginning of the previous decade, a new segment of coupé-Cabrio models began to become fashionable. Unlike traditional convertibles, it did not have a soft top but rather an electrically operated metal roof.
On paper, the concept made a lot of sense, as these vehicles combined the virtues of a coupe and a convertible in one car. Thus, many brands began to develop their coupe-Cabrio, and one of those that at the time we liked the most was the Volkswagen Eos.
The prototype that would later give rise to the VW Eos was presented at the 2004 Geneva Motor Show and was called Concept C. A year later, at the Frankfurt Motor Show, the definitive Eos would see the light of day. Beneath its stylish body was a chassis that combined parts of both the Golf and the Passat, while its mechanics also came from both.
The only endemic disease of the VW Eos is in its roof, on which several cases of water leaks have been known, so it is an important point to review. The engines are robust, although in some there are particularities that, as a precaution, should be inspected in a workshop before purchase: the compressor of the 1.4 TSI 160, the distribution of the 2.0 TSI, and the software of the 2.0 TDI – affected by the diesel gate-.
Recommended version: 1.4 TSI 122 of 2007
- 4 cylinder, 1,390 cc, turbo engine, 4 valves per cylinder
- Power 122 hp at 5,000 rpm
- Torque 200 Nm from 1,500 to 4,000 rpm
- Length / width / height 4.40 m / 1.79 m / 1.44 m
- Top speed 196 km / h
- 0-100 km / h 10.9 seconds
- Fuel consumption 6.7 l / 100 km
- CO2 emissions 159 g / km
- Trunk 380-205 liters
- Weight 1,461 kg
- Manual transmission, 6 speeds
- Front-wheel drive.
Care to go for a ride?
- A trailer-tent can be a great choice when camping. It is imperative to have a vehicle designed to tow a recreational vehicle (RV). A sport utility vehicle (SUV) or minivan with a towing capacity of 3,500 pounds (1,600 kg) such as the Dodge Caravan is sufficient to tow a mid-size tent trailer.
The tent trailer is still a significant investment. You should budget from $4,000 to $ 12,000 to equip yourself, depending on whether you are buying new, used, small, large, etc.
There are hundreds of models of tent trailers, for all tastes and all budgets. These RVs can sleep one to ten people depending on the model. The length is always measured in feet with the RV closed, excluding the length of the hitch.
There are tent trailers of all sizes that are built for motorcycles and the like. The most common sizes are 8, 10 and 12 foot closed boxes.
The trailer-tent has the distinction of being almost twice as wide open as closed, which is in fact its main advantage. Most of the time, the hardtop part is mounted using a pulley system. Then we pull the beds on each side to stretch the canvases with crossbars.
- Opting for a mini caravan to get started in this world is a good idea, so you have to weigh both its advantages and its disadvantages.
- Their compact dimensions make them not too bulky and easy to store in a garage when not in use.
- This also influences that driving with them is more comfortable than with a larger trailer since their weight is not exaggerated and their shape does not affect aerodynamics very negatively.
- The contained weight also means that practically any car can pull them without problems.
- The prices of the mini caravans are cheaper than those of the caravans and motorhomes.
- Despite their contained size, they usually have very complete equipment: bed, kitchen, etc.
- Although they make good use of space, their contained dimensions mean that they are not as spacious as that provided by a camper van or, of course, full-size caravans or motorhomes.
- Although it depends on the model chosen, the normal thing is that they have fewer comforts and functionalities than those offered by the upper segments.
More advice for towing a caravan
The cars are designed to be loaded without worrying about GVWR. But when you go on vacation, sometimes you want to load your vehicle more than right.
Full trunk and passenger compartment with the addition of a roof box and a rear bicycle rack and luggage trailer … and here things get complicated in terms of GVW! Also, be careful with moving: we are tempted to overfill the vehicle or trailer, and often very heavy objects.
What are the risks when driving too loaded?
Driving too loaded (GVW not respected) is dangerous: for you and your family but also for other road users.
Indeed, the more the vehicle is loaded, the more its handling and its handling are degraded. Besides, the braking distances are extended. The risk of an accident is then dangerously increased.
What fines and penalties are given for non-compliance with the authorized MAM?
For an obvious safety issue, compliance with the maximum authorized weight is a road safety priority. If you drive too heavily and the police find that your car does not meet its authorized GVWR, you risk a fine, or even a lot more.
- Exceeding up to 5% of the authorized MAMfor your vehicle: $150, reduced to $90 if paid within 15 days.
- Exceeding the MQM between 5 and 20%: violation identical to that indicated above. In addition, the vehicle is immobilised and the registration card is confiscated, as long as the vehicle does not comply.
- Over 20% overweight: fine increases to $1,500. In addition to the immobilisation and confiscation of the vehicle registration document, the driver receives a summons to Court. He then risks a loss of points on his driving license.
Click here to read more about oversize and overweight fines and penalties by state.
FAQ on Can a VW Eos tow a caravan?
What is the towing weight of a caravan?
The towing weight of a caravan must be up to 750 kg MAM. The combined weight of the trailer and the car should not be more than 3.500 kg.
Can VW Bug be flat towed?
A VW Bug can be flat towed only if it has a manual transmission. Otherwise, it has to be on a dolly or trailer.
How much does a small trailer weigh?
A small trailer can weigh on average 700 lbs. The most a trailer can weigh is 1700 lbs, and this is usually a three or four-bed camper.
How much do pop-up campers weigh?
Pop-up campers usually weigh between 1180 and 2700 lbs, depending on their size and usefulness.
- Volkswagen Towing Capacity Chart
- What Camper Can My Vehicle Tow? A Safe Towing Guide
- Vehicle weights explained