Can a Vauxhall Insignia tow a caravan? (an honest review)
In this article, we will answer the following question: Can a Vauxhall Insignia tow a caravan? We will give the Vauxhall Insignia a verdict when it comes to its engine and reliability.
Can a Vauxhall Insignia tow a caravan?
With a maximum towing weight of 1600 kg and a tow ball limit of 85 kg, a Vauxhall Insignia can tow a caravan and definitely exceed most of our readers’ expectations. Please see the below table for the full Vauxhall Insignia specs and towing capacity.
Vauxhall Insignia Specs
|Power||85 KW @ 6000 RPM115 HP @ 6000 RPM114 BHP @ 6000 RPM|
|Torque||155 lb-ft @ 4000 RPM210 Nm @ 4000 RPM|
|Fuel system||Turbocharged direct injection|
|Top speed||116.2 mph (187 km/h)|
|Acceleration 0-62 MPH (0-100 KPH)||13.8 s|
|Unladen weight||3329 lbs (1510 kg)|
|Gross Weight Limit (GWL)||4773 lbs (2165 kg)|
|Fuel Economy||City: 22.4 mpg-US (10.5 L/100Km)Highway: 38.6 mpg-US (6.1 L/100Km)Combined: 0.5 mpg-US (7.7 L/100Km)|
CO2 Emissions: 177 g/km
Vauxhall Insignia: an honest review
Vauxhall Insignia is viewed by most as the official car of programmers and corporates. A car that many bought new for its appearance and low price compared to the competition. A car that many buyers today used for its appearance and low price.
And this is the main problem of the Vauxhall Insignia: it is a car that looks very good, but the low purchase price should make you think. If it were a person, the Vauxhall Insignia would be an 18-year-old young lady who looks 30 and who goes to clubs. If it were food, it would be artichoke salmon. If it was a drink, it would be Prosseco.
But people today are willing to pay to maintain their image and appearance, even if the Vauxhall Insignia A is a cheap car to buy (you can find it for less than $5,000) but expensive to maintain. Yes, it is not the only car where appearances prevail and reliability issues are high, but it should offer a minimum of reliability.
Vauxhall Insignia engines
- 1.4 140-horsepower turbo – The smallest engine on the Vauxhall Insignia A comes with problems with the water pump, the turbine and another problem that I will deal with.
- 1.6 115-horsepower – This engine deserves to exist only on sales brochures. An engine that was good on the Opel Astra H, but for the Insignia is already too small and outdated.
- 180-horsepower 1.6 Turbo – The same 1.6 aspirated, which received a troubling turbine and a problematic thermostat.
- 1.8 140-horsepower – You might think this is the most balanced petrol engine for the Vauxhall Insignia. And you’re wrong. Serious problems with solenoid valves, actuators and camshaft sprockets.
- 2.0 Turbo 220 and 250 horsepower – This is the most balanced engine for the Opel Insignia A. Yes, it has problems and fuel consumption, but the engine is absolutely spectacular and can come with a 4 × 4 system. You give a penny, but you know you don’t have it anymore.
- 280 and 325-horsepower 2.8 Turbo – The old 2.8 brought from the Vectra C and launched in 2004 on the Cadillac CTS, this portion of American burgers comes standard with 4 × 4 and astronomical costs.
A Vauxhall Insignia 2.8T 4 × 4 is one of the most American cars you can buy, a car that can be taken to the scandal with most European models. In the classic spirit of the Opel Vectra, it is very difficult to go faster with less money.
- 1.6 CDTI 120 and 136 horsepower – Available only on the facelift version after 2013, the 1.6 CDTI proved to be a reliable engine, only as undersized for the American Insignia.
- 2.0 CDTI 110, 130, 160 and 195 horsepower – It’s hard to believe that there may be a worse diesel engine than the classic 2.0 TDI PD from VW, but apparently the Italians have succeeded. Serious problems with the turbine, the swirl dampers that break and fall into the intake manifold killing the engine, cracked engine blocks, EGR, particulate filters.
The famous O-Ring must also be replaced as soon as possible. The O-ring is a ring made of rubber, which holds the 2 plastic pipes that transport the oil from the oil bath to the engine. What happens when this o-ring falls?
The engine runs out of oil and is destroyed in a few km. Just like the 2.0 TDI PD, the oil pump shaft was blunt, the engine ran out of oil and was destroyed in a few km. Avoid the 2.0 CDTI engine in any form. The EcoFLEX engines of the facelift did not get rid of this problem either.
Vauxhall Insignia: General problems
The luggage compartment opening switch breaks and must be repaired. Fortunately, you don’t have to change the hub, so you get away with it.
Particle filter. In the vast American intelligence, diesel engines begin their regeneration and do their job, but if you shut down the engine during regeneration, the engine will resume the process from 0 to the next start.
Unlike other manufacturers, where the engines will resume the process from where they left off when you closed the car. So either stay in the car and find an activity or clog your particle filter and engine.
The electric motors break down, the battery empties and you stay happy in the parking lot. The current battery has been emptied, your wallet of money has been emptied, your hair has been emptied and you are beginning to contemplate the idea of a bicycle.
Special mention for 4 × 4 systems – the gaskets wear out and a cocktail of liquids is made at your differential. After 80,000km it is good to keep an eye on the gaskets, otherwise, it will be a party for you in the car, without Vaseline. Just like you will receive the invoice at the service – without Vaseline.
The radiator breaks on the bottom left. Little by little, little by little, until there was nothing left.
Problems with the power steering that is so well designed that it will let you do fitness in the parking lot while turning the wheel.
Double table flywheel for diesel engines and clutches. In many cases, the double flywheel can bend the crankshaft and you can easily buy another car.
Electrical problems of any kind, which can range from malfunctioning to downtime. It’s like playing Russian roulette.
Serious problems with ABS and especially with the rear brakes. The ABS corrodes and the brakes are effectively eaten away by this living monument of reliability. The timing belt and accessory belt have the habit of jumping from the point, usually while walking.
This means that the engine can be destroyed if you do not move fast enough, and if you stopped in time you must call the roadside assistance to treat you and greet you wearing Armani suits because you are not the first (or first) owner of The badge that rings today.
The 6-speed manual gearbox code M32 returns spectacularly and acrobatically, being ready to explode spontaneously near the 1.4 Turbo, 1.6 Turbo and 1.8 engines.
For those with a brown interior, the buttons on the console melt. For those with a black interior, the buttons wear out and fall off very quickly.
The Vauxhall Insignia – the car for people who want something new, who looks good and who costs little. The only advice he gives is to buy a facelift model, after 2013, where a lot of work has been done on reliability.
That still doesn’t make me recommend the Vauxhall Insignia to anyone. The late Opel Vectra C had a personality of its own – it was a big car, good for long straight lines, a famous car for understeer. He had character. The Opel Insignia A remains in our memory only for serious reliability issues.
Please feel free to disagree with us or to ask any questions you may have about the content.
FAQ on Can a Vauxhall Insignia tow a caravan?
How much can a Vauxhall Insignia tow?
A Vauxhall Insignia can tow a maximum braked weight of 1600 kg and a maximum unbraked weight of 750 kg.
Can a Vauxhall Crossland tow a caravan?
A Vauxhall Crossland can successfully tow a small or medium caravan. The car’s towing capacity ranges from 650 to 840 kg.
What is a Vauxhall versatility pack?
A Vauxhall versatility pack is an option pack that adds a variable-height boot floor and a centre rear armrest for the rear seat that also doubles as a load-through ski hatch.
How big a caravan can a Vauxhall Mokka tow?
A Vauxhall Mokka can tow a caravan between 500 and 1200 kg, with a luggage capacity of 362 litres,