In today’s article, we will answer the following question: Can a Subaru Outback pull an Airstream Bambi? We will discuss the towing capacities of a Subaru Outback and the weight of an Airstream Bambi.
Can a Subaru Outback pull an Airstream Bambi?
A Subaru Outback can pull the basic version of an Airstream Bambi (which weighs only 2585 lbs/1172 kgs); but once you add some camping gear an Airstream Bambi can easily get to 4000 lbs (1814 kg), which can be too much for our Subaru Outback.
How much can a Subaru Outback tow?
- 2021-2020 Subaru Outback models can tow 1500 kg (3300) for unbraked trailers and 2000 kg (4400 lbs) for braked trailers.
- 2019 – 2004 Subaru Outback models can tow up to 1500 kg (3300 lbs) for unbraked trailers and 1800 kg braked trailers (3900 lbs).
- 2003 and older Subaru Outback models can tow up to 1400 kg (3000 lbs) for both braked and unbraked trailers.
How much does the Airstream Bambi weigh?
The weight of each Airstream Bambi trailer will also vary depending on the size of the tail, as well as the features that are included. The smallest trailer weighs 2,897 pounds unloaded with an additional 603 pounds of cargo capacity. This brings the potential towing weight to a total of 3,500 pounds.
The largest trailer has a potential total towing weight of 11,500 pounds. This is the most important number to pay attention to when choosing both the trailer and the towing vehicle. All vehicles are rated to tow a specific amount of weight. Exceeding weight is very dangerous.
Airstream trailers come in many different sizes to suit the needs of each camper. The exterior length of the trailers ranges from 16 feet to just under 35 feet. This length is important to consider for towing capacity.
All Airstream motorhomes are 8 feet 5 1/2 inches wide on the outside and 8 feet 1 inch wide on the inside. Each unit is 9 feet 7 1/2 inches tall on the outside and ranges from 6 feet 4 1/2 inches to 6 feet 7 inches tall on the inside.
Airstream Bambi tank capacities
Tank capacities for Airstream RVs vary depending on the size of the queue. Fresh water tanks are capable of holding as little as 20 gallons of water for small trailers up to 54 gallons of water for larger trailers. The black water tank will hold between 18 and 39 gallons. This reservoir contains the residual water from the toilet. The gray water tank will hold between 21 and 38 gallons.
The grey water tank contains the wastewater from all other drains. On some of the smaller trailers, there is a combined wastewater tank capable of holding 21 gallons of wastewater from all sources. The hot water tank found in the trailers is capable of holding 6 gallons of hot water. Each Airstream trailer is equipped with either two 20-pound propane tanks or two 30-pound tanks, depending on the size of the trailer.
Other questions you may be interested in
Is the Airstream Bambi a good travel trailer?
Few caravans are as iconic as Airstream. Although it is true that the trailers of this company are more popular on the other side of the Puddle than on the Old Continent, they have been the protagonists of numerous films and the aluminum exterior is cooked in American nostalgia. Now, the company continues to honour its heritage with two new models.
Airstream Bambi trailers are available to purchase at Airstream dealerships nationwide. They are not as luxurious and large as the recently introduced Airstream Globetrotter 30, but the truth is that their spacious interior is also not wasteful and is ideal for a road trip vacation.
In the words of Bob Wheeler, Airstream President and CEO, “With the new Bambi and Caravel models we wanted to honour our roots while offering advanced design, accessible and easy to tow caravans that inspire new or experienced buyers to explore the world. They maintain the standard in terms of design and quality.”
Bambi trailers retain the iconic Airstream look while adding modern floor plans and features. The Caravel wraps the company’s clean design language in a sleek and lightweight package, offering panoramic windows, a rear bumper, stainless steel stone guards and increased storage capacity, among others.
Optionally we can find awnings to match the windows. Something similar happens in the case of the Airstream Bambi, although in this case, we can find different sizes between 4.88 and 6.71 meters, which allows greater customization possibilities. The four sizes offered have different floor plans and layouts.
Of course, all of them have the latest amenities on the market. Inside, the Caravel goes for a more modern look with accents in black, bright white and dark woods, while the Bambi opts for bright neutral tones. According to Airstream, the Bambi is the one that is aimed at “beginners” of the road adventure.
What car can pull an Airstream Bambi?
Whatever your needs and your budget, we offer you here a list of the best vehicles for towing an Airstream Bambi, therefore those with the best towing capacity in the different categories (among the models available on the market today).
- Ford Expedition – Producing 470 pound-feet of torque, the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 in the new 2018 Ford Expedition is stronger than many V8s thanks to its twin-turbocharged engine. 9,200 pounds is no problem for him when equipped with the high performance towing package.
- Grand Cherokee – The 2018 Grand Cherokee can pull up to 7,200 pounds thanks to its various HEMI V8s, which produce 360, 475 and 707 horsepower (although it’s hard to imagine a Trackhawk hitched to a trailer!).
- Jeep Cherokee – Another Jeep! When equipped with the 3.2-litre Pentastar V6 producing 271 horsepower, the 2019 Jeep Cherokee is unbeatable among small SUVs. It can tow a load of up to 4,500 pounds, enough to put much larger vehicles to shame.
- Lincoln Navigator – The newest Lincoln Navigator packs the same 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 as the Ford Expedition. Its power is 450 horsepower and torque is 510 pound-feet, but different equipment and settings put its towing capacity at 8700 pounds.
- Porsche Cayenne – Both the new 2019 Porsche Cayenne and the 2018 Land Rover Range Rover Sport (above) are able to tow loads totalling 7,716 pounds. In the case of the second, you can choose between a supercharged V6 and V8 as well as a turbodiesel V6.
- Audi Q5 – The next-generation Audi Q5 isn’t just good looking and fun to drive. With its 2.0-litre turbo four-cylinder engine generating 252 horsepower and 273 pound-feet of torque, it is capable of pulling up to 4,400 pounds. Who needs a V6?
- Ford F-450 – In its SuperCrew 4×2 version with a 6.7-litre turbo diesel V8 developing 440 horsepower and unmatched torque of 925 lb-ft, the 2018 Ford F-450 can tow a load of up to 34,000 pounds. Imagine the size of the trailer!
Towing an Airstream Bambi with your Subaru Outback may not be the best idea, as you will most likely reach the towing limit. If you tow too much weight, the rear of the car will be pushed up and the front is pushed in. The result is that the grip deteriorates, the trailer becomes more unstable and the range of the low beam is shortened.
A car with a trailer is more difficult to drive and control than a car without a trailer. This is because the weight and length of a car with a trailer will increase, which affects both steering and braking.
Take all things into consideration before hitting the road, and if you have any questions about the content, do let us know!
FAQ on Can a Subaru Outback pull an Airstream Bambi?
What kind of trailer can a Subaru Forester pull?
With an average towing capacity of 1600 -1800 kilograms, a Subaru Forester can pull a small or medium-sized caravan, horse trailer with one horse, a small boat or sports equipment.
What weight can a Subaru XV tow?
The weight that a Subaru XV can tow is between 1250 and 1400 kg braked capacity.
What weight can the Subaru Crosstrek tow?
Subaru Crosstrek has a towing capacity of 680 kg or 1500 pounds, making it great for towing small campers, a flatbed or a bicycle trailer.
Is the Subaru XV a good car?
Overall, Subaru XV is a very good car, quite comfortable on high-speed and the torque has a good value, of 350 Nm, being reached very low, from 1,600 rpm.