Can a Kluger tow a caravan?
In this blog post, we will answer the following question: Can a Kluger tow a caravan? We will talk about the legal demands for towing a caravan and the types of caravans and permits required.
Can a Kluger tow a caravan?
A Toyota Kluger can tow a caravan as long as the total permissible laden weight of the towing vehicle + caravan combination does not exceed 3,500 kg. Many drivers consider the Toyota Kluger one of the most reliable vehicles if you plan on going on a trip around the country. Below is the towing capacity of a Toyota Kluger, depending on the year.
Toyota Kluger towing capacity
|Year||Braked capacity from||Braked capacity to|
To tow a caravan with a B license, the car’s total weight and the caravan must not exceed 3.5 tonnes. One exception, however: if the GVWR (permissible gross weight) of the caravan does not exceed 750 kg, the assembly’s weight can reach 4.25 T. A Toyota Kluger can tow a caravan without too much hassle.
How to calculate the towing capacity of your car
To know for sure whether your car will be able to tow a caravan or a fully loaded trailer, you have to understand the following basic concepts:
- Maximum Authorized Weight: Each vehicle (truck, caravan, trailer, a semi-trailer) corresponds to a Maximum Authorized Weight or maximum laden mass of the car (Maximum authorized mass).
It corresponds to the maximum weight that the vehicle must not exceed, load included. It is indicated in kilograms on new grey cards in European format. It was noted in tonnes on the old registration cards. The MAW is defined according to the number of axles. It is also indicated on the vehicle’s tare plate and on its certificate of conformity.
- Total authorized rolling weight: Also LMA (Loaded Mass of the Assembly) corresponds to the sum of the maw of the towing vehicle and of the caravan. It is indicated in kilograms under column F3 of new grey cards in European format.
On the one hand, logically, and independently of the road combination, the actual weight of the car (that indicated on a scale during a weighing) must not exceed the MAM indicated on its vehicle registration card and the actual weight of the trailer must not exceed the MAM indicated on the trailer’s registration document either.
On the other hand, the assembly’s actual weight (weight of the car + caravan indicated on the scale during a weighing) must not exceed the MAW indicated on the vehicle registration card.
For example, if the car weighs 1 ton, the caravan 1 ton, then the scale indicates that this tractor unit weighs 2 tons. If the grey card means in column F3 that the MAW, in other words, the road combination must not exceed 1.5 tonnes, that is not alright.
- Finally, the last and more complicated rule, the caravan’s real weight must not exceed 1.3 times the real weight of the car. So if weighing the scale indicates that the caravan weighs 1.3 tons, you cannot drive if the car weighs less than 1 ton.
The different types of caravans and permits required
- The static caravan: With tourist vocation but also often residential, it is the most used (nearly 80%). Always ready to go and offering excellent insulation, it readily accommodates winter use as long as it is equipped with a heating system and double glazing. Due to its weight and size, it requires relaxed driving.
- The folding caravan: Very low when folded, this caravan is easy to tow and manoeuvre. At this stage, the upper part is easily put in place thanks to a hydraulic jack system.
- The canvas caravan: On the road, it looks like a simple luggage trailer. Once set up, it is a large family tent which offers the advantage of offering permanent beds, a kitchen, a living room and an insulated “hard” floor.
It is easy to tow even by small-displacement vehicles, parks in the corner of the garage and does not require additional insurance or registration, its total laden weight being less than 500 kg.
- The lowered caravan: An itinerant caravan par excellence, the “lowered” is located halfway between “folding” and “stationary”. Its low height (less than two meters) allows it to winter in any garage and to be very easy to tow.
Its retractable roof unfolds in a few moments during the stage, freeing up an interior space practically identical to that of a rigid caravan. Ditto for the interior layout offers a kitchen unit with a refrigerator, large storage cabinets, beds, bathroom, cupboards.
What type of drivers licence do I need for towing a caravan?
In practice, most caravans can be towed with the simple B license (car license), provided that the following conditions are met:
- the total permissible laden weight (GVWR) of the caravan does not exceed 750 kg;
- the total authorized laden weight of the caravan is greater than 750 kg but remains less than or equal to the unladen weight of the towing vehicle;
- the total permissible laden weight of the towing vehicle + caravan combination does not exceed 3,500 kg.
The EB permit
If any of the above conditions are not met and meet the following conditions, you must own the EB license.
- The total authorized laden weight of the caravan is greater than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle;
- The sum of the GVWR of the caravan and the towing vehicle is greater than 3,500 kg.
The EB license which includes a theoretical test and a practical test, requires passage through a driving school. Attention, not all of them pass the EB license!
To be able to be a candidate for the EB license, you must:
- be at least 18 years old;
- already hold a B driving license;
- be recognized as fit by the departmental medical commission.
Warning! If your B license is more than 5 years old, you must pass the highway code again.
Period of validity of the EB permit
- 5 years if you are under 60;
- 2 years if you are between 60 and 76 years old;
- 1 year if you are over 76 years old.
To renew the validity period of the EB permit, you must pass a medical examination. The request must be made at the prefecture before the expiry of the validity period.
A vehicle can tow as much weight as the vehicle manufacturer rated, whether it is a pickup truck towing capacity, SUV towing capacity, or another towing capacity vehicle. Manufacturers, including trailer manufacturers, usually provide several different weights, which are decided upon after extensive testing and testing.
Therefore, the maximum towing capacity should always be observed in all towing situations. Exceeding this capacity – or towing more than your vehicle’s weight – is extremely dangerous. Be smart and know the limits of your vehicle!
Please let us know if you have any comments or tips on the content.
FAQ on Can a Kluger tow a caravan?
What weight can a Toyota Kluger tow?
A Toyota Kluger can tow up to 2000 kg. Toyota Kluger is one of the most reliable vehicles if you plan on going on a trip around the country.
What is the best SUV for towing a caravan?
Among the best SUVs for towing caravans are the Land Rover Discovery and Land Rover Defender, the Volkswagen Tiguan and Volkswagen Touareg, the Audi Q7 or Skoda Kodiaq.
Is Kluger a good car?
Toyota Kluger is a good and reliable car that you will come to appreciate while driving in comforts, even on off-roads.
What are the legal requirements for towing a caravan?
The legal requirements for towing a caravan is to have a Category B drivers licence. You can pull a trailer or a caravan as long as both vehicles’ combined weight is not more than 3500 kg or 7.71 pounds.