Can a Jetta tow a pop up camper?
In this article, we will answer the following question: Can a Jetta tow a pop up camper? We will discuss what is towing with a Jetta like, VW Jetta engine and performance and safety features.
Can a Jetta tow a pop up camper?
Theoretically, a VW Jetta can tow a pop-up camper, but Volkswagen does not recommend installing a towing bar to this model as it can affect your warranty. The base version of the VW Jetta wouldn’t do too much, but with the SportWagen configuration you can tow up to 2000 lbs. (900 kg).
Volkswagen Jetta Towing Capacity and Specs
|Year||Trim||Max Towing Capacity||Engine||Horsepower||Torque|
|2014||Wagon 4D S I5||2,000 lbs||2.5L||170||177|
|2014||Wagon 4D SE I5||2,000 lbs||2.5L||170||177|
|2014||Wagon 4D TDI 4 Cyl.||2,000 lbs||2.0L||140||236|
|2011||Wagon 4D TDI||2,000 lbs||2.0L||140||236|
|2011||Wagon 4D S||2,000 lbs||2.5L||170||177|
|2011||Wagon 4D SE||2,000 lbs||2.5L||170||177|
|2010||Wagon 4D TDI||2,000 lbs||2.0L||140||236|
|2010||Wagon 4D S||2,000 lbs||2.5L||170||177|
|2010||Wagon 4D SE||2,000 lbs||2.5L||170||177|
What can you tow with a Volkswagen Jetta?
You can tow a small trailer with your Volkswagen Jetta. It is unlikely that the car comes with a hitch, so you will need to have a professional garage install one. This job involves removing the exhaust system and other rear components to attach to the frame of the car. Once this is done you can safely tow a trailer that is less than 1000 pounds. Staying within the vehicle’s limitations is very important.
Here’s how to attach the trailer to your Volkswagen Jetta:
- Attach the trailer coupler to the Jetta hitch by lowering it onto it and locking the latch. Lock the latch with a safety catch. Check that the coupler size matches the hitch size of the vehicle. Both of these numbers will be stamped on the metal.
- Take the left tow chain and connect it to the vehicle hitch bracket on the right side. Connect the chain from the right to the left.
- Connect the trailer electrical connector to the vehicle’s receiver. If the two connectors do not match, you may need an adapter to make them fit. Check that the trailer lights are working as required by law.
- Drive the Jetta slower than normal and begin braking before stopping. The weight of the trailer will affect braking and cornering.
- Take more space when cornering. A long trailer will cut the inside of a curve!
VW Jetta: Engine and performance when towing
As we have mentioned in other instances, the engine (and the general mechanical system) of a vehicle is one of its most important parts for its long- and short-term operation.
In this way, we can assure you that you will have nothing to worry about if you are not looking for a racing car or sports car since the Jetta can be manoeuvred at 6 different speeds that are supported by a V4 type engine that can reach up to 115 horsepower.
Your gas economy is another very important factor, and in this case, you will have a vehicle that can transport between 29 and 23 miles for every gallon of fuel it has inside.
Now, when we talk about the cabin, this vehicle has enough space for 5 passengers simultaneously. Being an excellent space considering that it is a compact car.
This vehicle also has an entertainment system that is integrated by an AM / FM stereo, 4 speakers and an auxiliary audio system.
In addition, when it comes to comfort, this vehicle has power ports for charging devices in its rear seats, internal air filtration and cup holders in the front seats.
Other questions you may be interested in
Can a CR-V pull a pop-up camper?
Can a Ford Fiesta pull a pop-up camper?
Can a Honda Civic pull a pop-up camper?
VW Jetta: Safety on the road and other features
Another fundamentally most relevant element, especially in used cars, is safety. In this case, the Volkswagen Jetta is equipped with great tools that will ensure your complete transfer.
Among them are child locks on the rear doors, three-point seat belt, post-collision protection system, front and rear airbags, stability control, brake assist, wheel pressure control, brake assist and motor immobilizer.
Year after year, Jetta’s scores high in crash safety tests and Volkswagen lead the curve when it comes to safety technology, ensuring that even a used Jetta is up to the task in this department.
Other worth-mentioning features of the VW Jetta are:
- User-friendly technical features! … The Jetta offers a simple and responsive touch screen. Smartphone integration favours ease of use in addition to the standard Android Auto and Apple CarPlay features. Other features were included, such as Bluetooth and wireless internet access points.
The Jetta features technology that is easy to use and designed to make your life easier. The full-screen navigation feature is also available and allows drivers to see where they are going without losing sight of the road.
- Generous interior space! … The Volkswagen Jetta is classified as a compact vehicle with a remarkably spacious trunk. You have 14.1 cubic feet, which is more than you could find in other compact cars on the market and is enough room for an average trip to the store or a weekend getaway.
The Jetta also has 60/40 split-folding rear seats that allow you to carry bulkier loads. It also features several smart interior storage compartments and a deep centre console for storing valuables.
- Fun and engaging driving! … 147 horsepower may not look that impressive but when you drive the vehicle, you will see a different picture. This sedan is incredibly responsive and won’t keep drivers waiting when it’s time to take the lead. You also have the taste to hit the road without a hitch. Excellent handling was incorporated and the result is a car that is a pleasure to drive.
- Excellent gas mileage! … If you are in the market for a non-hybrid that produces excellent fuel economy then you will love the 2020 Volkswagen Jetta. Non-GLI models achieve 30 mpg in the city and 40 mpg on the highway. With the more powerful engine under a hood, the GLI will bring these numbers down to 25 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the highway, which is still respectable.
The bottom line
The VW Jetta is sensitive to all driving needs and conditions. It handles high speeds and responsive manoeuvres alike, so this car boasts excellent performance. All the style and safety of the Jetta make it an exceptional choice.
Do you have any questions or suggestions on towing with a VW Jetta? Let us know!
FAQ on Can a Jetta tow a pop up camper?
How good is the Jetta?
Jetta is an excellent car, although it is a bit long, the engine responds very well and in terms of fuel efficiency, it gives me around 17 km/litre, very comfortable and with good safety equipment.
What is the best generation of Jetta?
The fourth-generation Jetta is one of the most successful models, this model is better known as Volkswagen Classic.
How many kilometres per gallon does a Jetta make?
Regarding fuel consumption, we achieved 32.28 kilometres per gallon in the city, where it spent a good part of our journey.
When is the new Jetta coming out?
The new Jetta is coming out in 2021. Among the new models that the German firm will present throughout this year is the new (and improved) Jetta.