In this short review, we will answer the following question: Can a Honda Jazz tow a caravan? We will discuss the specs of a Honda Jazz and whether this car is worth it or not.
Can a Honda Jazz tow a caravan?
According to the manufacturer’s manual, a Honda Jazz can tow a caravan up to 1000 kgs. With a kerb weight of 1162 kg, by applying the 85% rule, we realise that the ideal weight of the caravan should be 987.7 kgs (luggage included). Please see the table below for more data.
Honda Jazz Towing Capacity
|Year||Towing capacity from||Towing capacity to|
Can my Honda Jazz tow a caravan or fully-loaded trailer?
To answer this question, we have to know the basics of towing a trailer. More exactly, we will explain below what you need to pay attention to in order to know if any car can tow a caravan.
The Authorized Total Rolling Weight (or F3) is the maximum weight or possible limit for a set of vehicles (the tractor and the trailer).
The Total Authorized Loaded Weight (or F2) corresponds to the maximum weight that the rolling vehicle can support. We are talking here about the total load of baggage to which is added the maximum weight formed by the passengers and the driver.
Some people use the term MAM (instead of total authorised loaded weight) which stands for Maximum Authorized Mass. The mass here includes the load of the vehicle, that of the passengers and any other possible load (except the trailer).
Unlike the Authorized Total Rolling Weight, which is fixed and given by the vehicle manufacturer, the MAM varies according to the calculated mass at a specific time. It is important to respect these measures as the weight of a trailer can impact the braking speed of a vehicle
Other questions you may be interested in
Do I need to change my driver’s licence to tow a caravan?
The short answer is no, you don’t have to change your driver’s licence to tow a caravan. Each driver’s license gives the owner the right to tow a given load.
B permit: Its owner can drive any vehicle assigned to the transport of people or goods, the total of which … is less than 3500 kg and which includes, in addition to the driver’s seat, a maximum of 8 seats.
The MAM of the trailer must be less than or equal to 750 kg but varies in two situations. If the vehicle is unladen, the weight of the trailer is at least equal to the vehicle. Second, the total weight of the set cannot exceed 4250 kg.
B+E permit: This is the old E (B) license and its owner can tow a car with a MAN greater than that of the car. The maximum towed load can reach 7000 kg.
Other permits: Depending on your license, you can identify the maximum weight to be towed by your car. Whether it is a C, CE, C1, and CE1 license, the calculation follows the same principle as the cases above. The rule to remember to know how to calculate the towable weight of a car.
Honda Jazz: a review
What may tempt you about Honda Jazz:
- Driving: light, easy, with power steering that requires no effort.
- Compactness: only 3.83 m in length, which is very practical in the city.
- The equipment: even in the basic livery, the jazz is not stripped to the limit. On the other hand, you won’t find any sophisticated electronics gadgets on board.
- Mechanical pleasure: although of reduced displacement, the engines are not unpleasant to use, and the car gives the feeling of real liveliness in town.
- Driving qualities: good handling, trouble-free braking.
- The beginnings of modularity: this small car does not offer all the interior transformation possibilities of a minivan, but the Bench is largely sliding and the transformation of the rear space particularly easy.
- Heating: it is particularly efficient and present from the very first minutes of operation.
- The standard radio: for an economical car, the standard installation is not at all cheap and even offers good sound performance.
What can make you hesitate about Honda Jazz:
- The choice: limited. The range is very narrow, no diesel version, two petrol engines only, small choice of body colours.
- Range: very limited, despite low fuel consumption, due to the small size of the fuel tank. Only 42 litres.
- The interior finish: nothing is sloppy or offensive to the eye. But you won’t find the slightest hint of luxury. All plastics are hard in texture and skinny. The ultra-short carpet doesn’t make the whole look nicer.
- The windshield washer: does not immediately trigger the wiper (you have to apply it for a long time), and when it does, you only get a single sweep, which is well insufficient.
- The lack of side guards (at least as standard): this is all the more regrettable as this is a city car.
- Soundproofing: a little light. Little isolated rolling noise (strong rises at this point with Yokohama tires); the noise of splashing water in rainy weather in the wheel arches.
- The interior finish: simple, based on economical plastics, and without any luxury touch.
- Engine 1.2. On models manufactured up to April 2003, a gradual drop in performance and appearance of jerky operation between 1000 and 2000 rpm. Caused by contamination of the EGR valve.
- Lining under the engine cover. On the 2002-2003 models, it deteriorates quite quickly.
- Manual gearbox. On models manufactured up to June 2002, additional noise appears in 2nd gear, especially when the driver steers to the left. Caused by the reverse gear. Remedy: change of the gearbox fork control.
- CVT box. Some concerns, especially on cars driving in town: excessive heating of the gear oil (which has a low capacity), which can lead to the gearbox jamming.
- Brakes. Noise from the pads at low speed or at the end of slowing down.
- Tires. Slightly limited tire life for such a light car. The Yokohama are the most affected.
- Front optics. On models manufactured up to fall 2002, internal condensation has formed. Caused by a misalignment between the body and the headlight mounting bracket (where the water inlet).
- Front doors. On models manufactured up to fall 2002, slight adjustment defect, causing air noises on the front edge of the doors. Is corrected by an adjustment.
- Door seals. Fixing or appearance hazards, especially on the rear corner of the front doors.
- Inner rear mirror. Mirror vibrations.
- Parasitic noise. Present on bad roads, in particular at the ends of the dashboard and, sometimes, coming from the rear compartment.
- Electronic malfunctions / functions on board: Passenger compartment ventilation. On some cars, rotation speed irregularities.
For novice drivers, we recommend that the towed vehicle’s weight represent 75% of the kerb weight of the car. More experienced drivers can rely on 85% or 100%, thus reaching the Honda Jazz towing capacity of 1000 kg. Make sure you stay within the legal limit, and your ride shall be smooth and safe.
Thus, with a kerb weight of 1162 kgs:
- 75% of Kerb weight: 871.5 kgs
- 85% of Kerb weight: 987.7 kgs
- 95% of Kerb weight: 1103.9 kgs
Please let us know if you have any questions or comments on the content.
FAQ on Can a Honda Jazz tow a caravan?
What caravan can Honda Jazz tow?
A Honda Jazz can tow a caravan that doesn’t weigh more than 1000 kgs. For novice drivers, however, we recommend not to tow more than 872 kgs with their Honda Jazz.
Can you put a tow bar on a Honda Jazz?
Yes, you can put a tow bar on a Honda Jazz. In fact, there are four options for towbars for the 2008 onwards Honda Jazz.
How much horsepower does a Honda Jazz have?
A Honda Jazz has 78 PS or 77 bhp or 57 kW @ 5700 rpm with a DWD and a 5-speed manual gearbox.