In this article, we will answer the following question: Can a Ford Falcon tow a caravan? We will tell you how much you can tow with a Ford Falcon and explain essential concepts such as Tare and MAM regarding towing.
Can a Ford Falcon tow a caravan?
A Ford Falcon can tow a decent range of small to medium caravans. A Ford Falcon has a braked capacity from 1200kg to 2300kg. Please consult the table below for more details.
Ford Falcon Towing Capacity
|Year||Braked Capacity From||Braked Capacity |
|1960 to 1975||0kg||0kg|
Other questions you may be interested in
Ford Falcon: Datasheet
- Engine: Ford 170 Special, 6 inline
- Cycle: 4-stroke, side camshaft, overhead valves
- Location: Front Longitudinal
- Displacement (cm3): 2.782
- Number of Cylinders: 6
- Diameter 93.47 mm.
- Stroke 87.88 mm.
- Total Displacement 3,620 cm.
- Bore x Stroke (mm): 88.9 x 74.7
- Compression Ratio: 8.7: 1
- Used carburettors: Holley RX-7217-A and RX-7234-A
- Power (CV): 102
- Maximum Power 166 HP (124.5 KW).
- Speed (r.p.m): 4,400
- Motor Torque (mKg): 22
- Speed (r.p.m): 2,400
- Traction: Rear
- Cooling: Water
- Gasoline fuel
- Speeds: 3
- Maximum speed 179,566 Km / h.
- Consumption at 60 km / h 12.6 km per liter.
- Consumption at 100 km / h 10.8 km per liter.
- Consumption at 140 Km / h 7.4 Km per litre.
- Final Ratio: 3.50: 1
- Fuel Capacity (litres): 53
- Empty Weight (Kg): 1.099
- Length (mm): 4.602
- Width (mm): 1.793
- Height (mm): 1.432
- Wheelbase (mm): 2.781
- Front Gauge (mm): 1,397
- Rear Gauge (mm): 1,385
- Brakes (Front / Rear): Drum – Drum
- Direction: Worm gear
- Front Suspension: Indep, Mc Pherson, res. Helical.
- Rear Suspension: Rigid axle, longitudinal elastic
- Tires: 6.00 x 13 “
- Electric Generator: Dynamo 12 V, 375 W.
How much can I tow with a Ford Falcon?
Here are the trailer towing capacity of a Ford Falcon
2.3 L engine _________________650 kg (1)
3.0 L engine _________________ 750 kg (2)
3.6 L engine _________________ 900 kg (3)
Engine 3,6 L “SP” _____________ 900 kg (4)
(1) of the 650 kg, 35 to 65 must affect the hitch
(2) of the 750 kg, 40 to 75 must affect the hitch
(3) and (4) of the 900 kg, 45 to 90 kg must affect the hitch.
Towing a caravan: Tare and MAM
The Tare, both in a car and in a caravan, is the weight that the vehicle has when empty, that is, as it comes from the factory, and thus it is approved, and that it does not necessarily have to coincide with how it leaves the point of sale. Why?
In the case of a caravan, it is easy for you to ask for a mover, air conditioning, a spare wheel, an antenna, a television … which will have added a few kilos to your caravan and are not included in the technical sheet.
The MAM (Maximum Authorized Mass) is the total weight for which the vehicle is authorized, including its Tare, and therefore that the vehicle must not exceed. This is the maximum weight you can add to your vehicle. It includes the occupants’ weight, their luggage and any other merchandise in the trunk or on the roof, as well as any accessories or options.
You also have to take into account the MTM (Maximum Towable Mass), which is the maximum weight that your vehicle can tow, and therefore the MAM of the trailer must be equal to or less than the MTM. What if it is not so? Well, if they stop you and they check your documentation, as well as fines, they can immobilize your vehicle and end your vacation.
Combined with all this, take into account the driving license you have, with the classic B, you can take caravans of more than 750 Kg as long as the sum of the GWM of the car and the caravan does not exceed 3,500 Kg. If your current set is fair, but you intend to change a car or caravan for one with greater weight, it will surely force you to get a new permit.
Tips to keep in mind when towing a caravan
When you are choosing a new acquisition ask for the technical sheets and compare:
- The car must have a higher MTM than the MAM of the trailer, if not, better not risk it, if what you are going to buy is the car, look for one with a higher MTM, and if what you are going to buy is the caravan, choose one with lower MAM.
- When considering the Tare and MAM of the caravan, check that the margin is enough to include what you have planned or something else. Although the caravan is not a cargo vehicle (see here a guide to load your caravan) it has that no matter how light they are, accessories and equipment are a few kilos.
- Add the MAM of both and check that you can take them with your driving license, if not, consider getting a category E licence if you want to continue with the purchase.
- Assesses the power of the car and its weight compared to that of the caravan, although we have already commented that it is not the most decisive thing, it gives a lot of peace of mind “to go overboard” in the face of any slope, needs to overtake.
- A website such as www.towcar.info allows you to analyze the car-caravan set’s suitability and help you in your choice.
The bottom line
Can a Ford Falcon tow a caravan? Consider that the caravan’s GVWR should not exceed your vehicle’s towing capacity. Remember to include the equipment you will put in the towed vehicle, which adds to the dry weight.
The total weight of the equipment loaded in the towing vehicle, in addition to the drawbar weight exerted by the trailer, must not exceed the load capacity of the towing vehicle.
If you have any questions or comments, let us know.
FAQ on Can a Ford Falcon tow a caravan?
What is the smallest car that can tow a caravan?
The smallest car that can tow a caravan is Suzuki Jimny. Its towing capacity is at the maximum weight of 1300 kg.
Can a Ford Focus tow a caravan?
A Ford Focus can tow a caravan under the 85% rule. Meaning that with a kerbweight of 1421kg, the Ford Focus can provide a safe and stable match for caravans weighing 1208kg or less.
Will my car tow my caravan?
You can tow a caravan if the latter weights 85 per cent or less of the car’s kerbweight. A caravan’s weight cannot be greater than the towable mass indicated in the car documents.
How much does a caravan weigh?
You will find precisely how much a caravan weighs and its capacity in the manufacturer’s manual. If the caravan has brakes and weighs over 750 kg, it is driven with the B + E category or the driving school certificate.
Which cars are best for towing small loads?
If you only have a small trailer or caravan to the cables, they really don’t need a huge 4×4. Even medium hatchbacks – such as the Ford Focus and Volkswagen Golf – can do the job. The current Audi A3, for example, has maximum towing weights of up to 690 kg / 1800 kg (without braking/braking).