In this article, we will discuss: Can a 4runner tow a boat? We will also review the new Toyota 4Runner specs, towing capacity and behaviour on the road.
Can a 4runner tow a boat?
With a towing capacity of 5000 lbs (2267 kg), a Toyota 4runner can tow any type of boat you want. This car is very well equipped to tow a trailer, caravan or boat.
Toyota 4Runner Towing capacity
|SR5||SR5 Premium||TRD Off-Road|
|Kerb weight (lb.)||4400||4400||4750|
|Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) (lb.)||6100||6100||6300|
|Fuel tank (gal.)||23||23||23|
|Towing capacity (lb.)||5000||5000||5000|
How to tow with a 4Runner
The 4Runner is rated to tow 5,000 pounds. This is sufficient for a mid-size utility vehicle, caravan or almost any type of boat. Towing a trailer reduces the braking characteristics and handling of the vehicle. Working within the limitations set by the manufacturer mitigates the increased risk of towing. Connecting the trailer to the vehicle correctly is an important safety step.
- Determine the exact towing capacity of your 4Runner by looking in your owner’s manual.
- Calculate the weight of the trailer, from the mass of the load. The trailer weight is stamped on a nameplate affixed to the trailer frame under the gross trailer weight (GTW). For a safe trip, the vehicle’s towing capacity must be greater than the trailer plus the mass of the load.
- Attach the trailer coupler to the vehicle hitch using a recess in, then lock it in place with the latch. Secure the latch in position by inserting a pin through the hole.
- Connect the trailer’s right chain to the hitch and the left side of the vehicle’s hitch. Connect the chain on the left in the same way as the right side.
- Attach the trailer electrical connector to the vehicle electrical receiver by pushing the two together. Test to confirm that the trailer lights are responding correctly to the vehicle’s controls.
- Drive slower than normal and they provide additional stopping distance to adjust the vehicle’s braking reduction.
7 reasons why towing with a 4runner is a good idea
Toyota 4Runner is an off-road vehicle that has generated a lot of hype. If you are interested in this model but do not know all its advantages, these 7 reasons can be very helpful.
- The engine: You’ll never be short of power with a Toyota 4Runner thanks to the standard four-litre V6 engine capable of producing 270 horsepower and 5,000-pound torque. On climbs or passing a truck, this vehicle will not let you down.
- The Body: The 2019 Toyota 4Runner is one of the latest vehicles to be manufactured with the body mounted on the heart of the vehicle. The bodywork mounted on the chassis has proven to be a solution for the cars to be able to stay on highly rugged terrain.
- The Design: Just because the Toyota 4Runner is a given off-road vehicle and bound to get dirty doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice style. Aggressive grills, TRD Pro badges, and 17-in.TRD alloy wheels make this vehicle stand out on any terrain.
- Comfort: The driver’s seat is heated on all 4Runner versions. These seats can be electronically adjusted to take a total of 8 positions. The electric lumbar support will also be available in all its versions.
- Technology: The 4Runner has built-in navigation capable of turn-by-turn directions. The function of predicting traffic will also be available. And Bluetooth connectivity is a standard feature of this model.
- The Exterior: LED taillights increase visibility. The protective headlamps are a good combination of functionality with style. These headlights cast an incredibly powerful beam of light that provides a wider focus than conventional headlights.
- Its Utility: The 4Runner includes a power outlet with which you can power any electrical appliance you carry with you. And with optional third-row seats, you get up to seven seats.
These, among other features, make the Toyota 4Runner a vehicle that allows you to drive to your favourite destination comfortably and safely.
Would we recommend the Toyota 4 runner?
We would most definitely recommend the Toyota 4 runner for towing, but not only. A 4Runner has some features that enhance its off-pavement performance. With a limited-slip differential lock and full-time four-wheel drive, the 4Runner can enjoy a bit of off-road capability.
Despite having good suspension, this truck cannot hide its body-on-frame chassis. The three-row SUV does not feel well planted in the curves and even some of our editors claim that the Ram 1500 feels better in the curves, despite being larger.
On the other hand, the driver should feel comfortable in the luxurious cabin. The wood trim on the centre panel and the gearshift is evident, and along with the brown leather our model had, they gave it a good match. The large front seats make you feel very comfortable while driving the 4Runner.
Adults riding in the second row will feel very comfortable, but the third row is too tight. Children will have no problem in this matter, and to give them a little more space, the second row can be slid forward. The second and third rows can be folded down, increasing cargo capacity to a total of 88.8 cubic feet – although with the second and third rows fully loaded, occupants will only have 9.0 cubic feet of cargo space.
The bottom line
With a starting price of $ 44,760, the 4Runner Limited is very expensive for what it offers. It should be noted that we are talking about a model that has not been renewed since 2009, and is about to complete a decade of only receiving cosmetic changes and the occasional improvement in the interior.
Toyota knows that its line of SUVs and trucks is not up to date, and in a market where these are the fastest-selling models, the Japanese brand has to accelerate its plans to renew its models.
What do you think? Don’t hesitate to leave a comment or to ask any questions you may have about towing with a Toyota 4 runner.
FAQ on Can a 4runner tow a boat?
How big of a trailer can a 4Runner tow?
A 4Runner can tow a trailer up to 5000 pounds. With its 4X4 cog, a real one, it can go absolutely anywhere without too much difficulty. In addition, it is designed for leisure or work activities.
What kind of camper can a 4Runner pull?
A 5Runner can pull small campers (e.g. Airstreams) but also full-loaded four to five beds caravan, without any problems. Its engine, a 270-horsepower 4.0-litre V6 that produces 278 lb-ft of torque.
What car can tow a horse float?
The following cars can tow a horse float without any issues: Toyota RAV4, Mitsubishi Outlander, Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, or a Subaru Forester.
Does my 4Runner have a tow package?
Most Toyota 4Runners have a package included. This model comes with an integrated towing hitch receiver and a wiring harness as well.