In this blog post, we will answer the following question: What is the best place to buy a used RV? We will give you a list of the best places to buy a used or new RV and a few essential tips for how to get a good deal.
What is the best place to buy a used RV?
Below you will find a list of the best 20 places to buy a used RV. We advise you, first of all, to weigh the pros and cons of acquiring a used RV and if not, it would be better to rent one. Here’s our list:
- Camping World – also great for RV supplies, accessories and camping gear;
- RV Trader – it is widely recognized in the recreational vehicle industry as a popular means of finding the best deals on new and used RVs for sale;
- PPL Motor Homes – this Texas-based dealership offers diesel motorhomes, mini or Class A motorhomes, 5th wheel trailers and travel trailers;
- General RV Center – this is the largest RV centre in the country that offer you personalized RV orientation and full support with the buying process;
- MHSRV – Motor Home Specialists that have offered even for low budgets (check the under 25k category);
- Classy RV – Rated top eBay seller and with offers all over the country, this is one of our favourite places to recommend. Not to mention that their website is user-friendly and really easy to navigate;
- RVT.com – We recommend them mostly for their great deals;
- Pop RVs – Check this one if you are looking for funding, as they offer competitive rates and flexible options;
- Cranky Ape – It offers you the opportunity to place a bid and it has great reviews from most users;
- Indy RV Expo – This is Indiana’s largest RV Expo. The downside is that it is only once a year. The good news: You can buy a used or new RV at unbelievable prices;
- Conversion Trader – It has a large database of camper vans, Class B or C RVs, sprinters, buses, skoolies & more;
- RVUSA – This is the place to search for the ideal RV that will meet your family’s needs. Just fill in the form and check the results!
- America’s Largest RV Show – This year you can attend the 52nd Annual largest RV show at the Giant Center in Hershey, Pennsylvania. It is worth checking it out if you are seriously thinking of buying an RV.
- Chicago RV & Camping Show – Another annual show, taking place in Chicago this time.
- Florida RV SuperShow – The RV show is a great place for getting a good deal and see a variety of RVs in the same place.
- Quartzsite Sports, Vacation & RV Show – One of the biggest (and sponsored) RV Shows in the country. Overall a great place for variety.
- California RV Show – This is the annual manufacturers’ RV sale in Northern California. Don’t miss it if you are looking for great deals even on new RV’s.
- Visit a dealer near you – Try searching on google maps: RV dealership near me. If you befriend the deal in your area, that’s even better for a good deal.
- Facebook Groups – This is also a great place for tips and advice from experienced RV owners.
- eBay – try eBay auctions for better deals.
- Craigslist – The reason why Craigslist is last on our list is that although you can get great deals on this website, many of the ads prove to be scams. So be careful with this one, especially when someone wants to offer you a free RV!
What to consider before buying a used RV
Buying a used motorhome or RV is an option that many consider. Whether it is because of social isolation or the desire to explore life in nature in a more independent way, buying a used motor home opens up a new range of travel.
However, with the number of options out there, be it factory RVs or modified utility vehicles, it is essential to think about a few questions before buying a used motorhome, and those are the ones we are going to take a look at here!
Choose the right motorhome for your needs
Not all motorhomes or RVs are the same: a small utility vehicle is not the same as a converted bus. Therefore, before starting the search for your used motorhome, you must consider which is the best vehicle to make the trip you want to do.
At this point, it is essential to consider:
- How many people are going to travel? This will allow you to calculate the necessary space, especially in the number of beds and seats.
- What amenities do you want to have available? A motorhome is basically a house, as far as possible. Think about whether you want to have space for a kitchen or a bathroom.
- What kind of trip do you have in mind? It is not the same to use a motorhome for a few short vacations a year than to live full time for several months or even years.
- What type of routes are you planning to do? Although most of the routes are usually suitable for all types of vehicles, the more adventurous probably prefer a 4X4 version to enter secondary roads.
Starting to answer these questions will allow you to narrow your search and point to something more specific.
Think about the resale price of an RV
As much as it may seem to anticipate a lot in the future, buying a vehicle should always come hand in hand with the sale process when we do not want to use it anymore. It is not a good financial decision to buy something on a whim without considering the market value, especially for fairly expensive vehicles in general.
At this point, it is convenient to take into account well-known, reliable brands that are widely used in the country where we are going to want to sell our vehicle, whether in a few months or a few years.
Research the prices and offers of used RVs
Once you have your ideal vehicle in mind, it’s time to do some research. This is what usually takes the longest time, and it is important to be patient and try to avoid being quickly tempted by the first offer that appears.
Comparing prices and alternatives will surely lead us to the best vehicle we can get.
Do a thorough inspection on the used RV
Beyond what the vehicle owner tells us, nothing compares to a first-person inspection. This will allow us to see all the parts of the motorhome closely and detect any possible problems.
Some of the things we recommend you pay attention to are:
- Motorhomes are usually very prone to the appearance of fungus, especially in parts where water is used such as the kitchen or the bathroom.
- One of the areas where it is most difficult to identify problems is on the motorhome floor. However, and as silly as it sounds, it is advisable to jump several times to verify the structure’s solidity.
- Water leaks are one of the most typical problems that motorhomes often have, and also one of the most difficult to solve. For this reason, it is advisable to check all the roof joints, especially in the corners and on the bed area in class C motorhomes or campers.
- The exterior of the motorhome can also tell us a lot about the state it is in.
- The wheels of a motorhome are one of the most important components of the vehicle, and one of those that suffer the most from the load weight and the passage of time.
- Something that is unfortunately often overlooked when looking for a motorhome is the issue of suspension. However, our motorhome must have a suspension in good condition, especially if we are going to take a long-term trip.
- Finally, we must not forget that our motorhome is not only not going to be our vehicle on any trip but also our home. With which, it will surely come accompanied by several amenities that will make our adventure much more pleasant.
If buying a used RV take it for a test drive and to the mechanic
Whether you want to make sure you have no trouble driving or detect any other issue, a test drive (a little longer than a short drive) is the best way to go. If the seller has no problem, it may also be helpful to take the vehicle for a short ride on the road to see how it performs at higher speeds.
Another thing that we recommend is taking the motorhome to a mechanic. And it is that unless you are very clear on this issue, it is always advisable to ask for a professional opinion on the matter.
Beyond the cost of the motorhome itself, it is also important to consider all the extra expenses that our purchase will entail.
In this way, you must take into account the costs of taxes, registration fee, insurance, safety or environmental checks. In addition to these expenses, keep in mind that the cost of a motorhome does not end with the purchase, since then we will have to maintain it during the trip.
Therefore, it is also important to think about fuel costs, spare parts costs, typical maintenance costs, toll costs and shipping costs.
Please let us know if you have any additional questions or tips on buying a used RV.
FAQ on What is the best place to buy a used RV?
What do you have to take into account when buying a motorhome?
When buying a motorhome, you have to take into account so many things that it is best to involve each member of the family in the process. Give each person precise instructions. Do an eye check of the tires, electrical system, the condition of the furniture, etc.
How much does an RV cost?
An RV costs depend on whether they are pre-owned, new, large, luxurious, simple, etc. However, an estimate (from a used one to a new luxury one) is between $ 15,000 USD to $ 100,000 USD.
How to charge a motorhome?
To charge a motorhome, first unplug all electrical appliances, including the power converter. If you park your motorhome during cold weather, remove the battery. Use an external battery charger to charge it fully.
- Where Is the Best Place to Buy My Motorhome? – The Camping and …
- How to buy a used camper van | Honest John
- Tips to Finding Great Deals on Used Campers and Motorhomes