In this blog post, we will answer the following question: Are toy hauliers good for full-time living? We will discuss the pros and cons of living in a toy haulier for longer than a trip.
Are toy hauliers good for full-time living?
Yes, toy hauliers are good for full-time living. The toy haulier is a cross between a fifth wheel and a travel trailer. It offers you all the comforts of a home with the advantages of camping! It includes a master bedroom raised above the van platform.
With its sliding section, you can increase the interior space of your unit up to three feet in width. The toy haulier provides great stability thanks to the heavier axles but it is easy to tow at the same time.
Here are some things to consider before moving full-time in a toy haulier:
- Select a toy haulier that is in your price range and offers you the options you want. There is a wide selection of options and floor plans available on different models of toy hauliers hitches. Some have an extra space where you can store a motorcycle or ATV. This option will sacrifice space for living but will provide additional storage space.
Toy hauliers also have various organized insulation, entertainment systems and small luxury items that can be added with upgrades. Kitchen counters can be upgraded on some models to provide durability as well as functionality. One particular area you will want to check out is the bathroom.
Many toy hauliers offer a similar compartment shower that is very small. Others offer a larger shower but sacrifice the ability to hook up a washer and dryer.
- Make a list of areas you will be living in or visiting in your toy haulier. Whether you are staying somewhere or planning to travel in your toy haulier, you will need a location to park your toy haulier. College students will want to know about the parking areas where they can live while going to college.
- People travelling with a toy haulier will want to look at different regions to see where they plan to stay and what parks are available. If you have your own property where you want to park your toy haulier, you will need to have utilities in place. This includes a source of water, electricity and a connection to the sewer system.
You will also want to educate yourself on how each of the systems works on your toy haulier. These systems can run off propane or electricity and knowing how to use them will save you hours of inconvenience during an outage.
- Moving in your toy haulier. Unpack your personal effects and fill the cupboards with dishes and. Whether you are on the move or staying put, a fifth wheel toy haulier can provide you with a comfortable home you can live in forever.
- Insure your toy haulier as part of your insurance rather than the vehicle owner’s insurance to save money.
- Have access to, or own a truck that is large enough to pull your toy haulier. In most cases, a 1-ton truck equipped with the right hitch is required to move the toy haulier
Is living full-time in a toy haulier legal?
Living full-time in a toy haulier is legal as long as you meet the following criteria:
- The vehicle has a bathroom with running water, cooking facilities and a sleeping space.
- The land that the vehicle is parked on is either legally owned or leased by the person for 30 days or more.
- The vehicle is connected to the mandatory utilities (sewer, trash, electricity, water, internet, etc).
As long as all three criteria are met, one can consider the toy haulier as their home. Living in an RV in a public parking space is not, unfortunately, considered as having a house. The tenant doesn’t own the land nor has access to basic utilities.
In the event that you reside in a fixed place with your vehicle and you have managed to register, surely the issue of the doctor, notifications from the administration and receiving mail will have it solved. But what if you live nomadically?
Fortunately, nowadays we are less and less dependent on a physical address. For example, to collect packages for purchases made online, what you could do is establish a collection point in the area, be it an Amazon locker or a Post office. So for this, it is not necessary to have an address or a registry.
On the other hand, for the issue of bank letters, you can use 100% online banking so you never receive a letter from them either. And with the administration, it happens more of the same. By law, we all have the right to communicate electronically with the administration so there is no need to have an address to receive notifications.
Manage daily life on the road. Living in a motorhome, far from the idea of absolute freedom, is to have a little daily routine. You have to put everything away and secure before leaving, cook, eat and wash the dishes in a small space, find a washing machine, do housework … You also have to fill it with clean water, empty the wastewater and, yuck, empty the chemical toilets.
On a daily basis, it’s also about finding where you’re going – what you want to visit, see, do. Let yourself be carried away by chance, yes, why not; but at the risk of turning in circles or entering a path not suitable for such a large vehicle.
All you need to know about Toy Hauliers
In its most basic sense, the Toy Hauler is a toy haulier with a big ramp. It could also be described as a cross between a traditional travel trailer or fifth-wheel and a truck trailer. This class of sports trailers are the newest on the market and were designed to allow outdoor enthusiasts to transport ATVs, jet skis for snowmobiles, bicycles, small boats, race cars, jeeps, etc. more easily.
In general, toy hauliers have been divided into two sections: A rear section with a drop-down ramp (which can also become a patio or deck) and a front section with space and living facilities.
Most toy haulier owners use the rear cargo area as originally intended, but many convert the garage into additional storage space, laundry room, office, game room, or even children’s room.
Advantages of Toy Hauliers
– They are an excellent option for toy hauliers looking to bring their motorized sports vehicles.
– They could be a solution for large families, people who have inventory or need a separate studio or workshop to work while travelling.
– They are designed to circulate on all terrain. The chassis and axles are reinforced to support the several thousand pounds of cargo it could carry.
– Some small models weigh less than the load you can carry. This makes it possible to tow it with almost any vehicle.
– They are ideal for Boondocking and Dry Camping in remote areas since freshwater, grey and black water tanks tend to have better capacity compared to other travel trailers or fifth-wheels of a similar size.
– The garage section is spacious and can be used as a dining room, bedroom or multi-purpose room.
– In general, they have an extra gas tank.
– Some are small and light enough to be towed by a small SUV, even carrying thousands of pounds of equipment cargo.
– The largest and most luxurious apartments look like real apartments. In addition to the garage, they have bedrooms, a very spacious living room and kitchen, two bathrooms, etc.
Disadvantages of Toy Hauliers
– Living space and amenities are often smaller compared to toy hauliers of similar size and price (Unless the garage area is remodelled and designated as permanent living space)
– Weight is a key issue in this toy haulier category, as the rear load can easily exceed the capacity of your towing vehicle.
(In order not to make mistakes or have accidents, it is very important that you take into account the distribution and the total weight of the Toy Hauler once it is loaded)
– They tend to be more expensive than Fifth-Wheels and Travel Trailers with similar characteristics.
The bottom line
It is both legal and illegal, possible and impossible to live full-time in a toy haulier. It all will depend on where you keep your vehicle parked and if you managed to make it to a full address. You must speak with the HOA or/and the local council and ask whether you need a permit for it.
Some people are drawn to the idea of living in an RV full time, even if they have kids. The decision to pack and live in an RV should be made carefully. You will need to consider the financial changes that come with making such a lifestyle decision.
If you have any questions or comments about the content, please let us know.
FAQ on Are toy hauliers good for a full-time living?
Why are toy hauliers more expensive?
Toy hauliers are more expensive than travel trailers because they are built better, with high-quality materials.
Are toy hauliers any good?
Yes, toy hauliers are a good option, especially for families. They are designed to circulate on all terrain. The chassis and axles are reinforced to support the several thousand pounds of cargo it could carry.
Why should I buy a toy haulier?
You should buy a toy haulier because they are large, luxurious and look like real apartments. In addition to the garage, they have bedrooms, a very spacious living room and kitchen, two bathrooms, etc.
Is a toy haulier considered a travel trailer?
Yes, toy hauliers can be considered a cross between travel trailers and toy hauliers. This class of sports trailers are the newest on the market and were designed to allow outdoor enthusiasts to transport ATVs, jet skis for snowmobiles, bicycles, small boats, race cars, jeeps, etc. more easily.