In this blog post, we will answer the following question: Are toy hauliers built better than travel trailers? We will explain the pros and cons of both toy hauliers and travel trailers. We will help you choose between the two and decide which one will better suit your needs.
Are toy hauliers built better than travel trailers?
In general yes, toy hauliers are built better than some travel trailer models, since they are made on a heavier frame, have more robust axles and suspensions, and thus can withstand off-road travel better. Check the table below for more obvious differences between the two types of trailers.
|Travel Trailers||Toy Hauliers|
|Advantages of the classic travel trailer: By choosing a trailer, you will not necessarily need to own a pick-up truck. Indeed, many light models can easily be towed by a utility vehicle or minivan, and even a sedan with a 6 cylinder. |
The product offering ranges from ultralight models to massive park trailers, sometimes reaching over 30 feet.
In addition, trailers cost much less than toy hauliers, for similar sizes and finishes.
They are generally well equipped and can sleep several people, in addition to having a kitchen, a bathroom and a living room, among others.
You will therefore enjoy a surprisingly spacious living space! The Keystone Passport and the Prime Time trailer are among the models that many prefer.
|Advantages of the toy hauliers: The strong point of toy hauliers is undoubtedly their stability, thanks to their upper part which is found over the body of the truck. In this way, the weight is distributed more evenly. |
They also come in an impressive number of models and offer a host of amenities!
Great models that we recommend are the Keystone Cougar, the Keystone Sprinter or the Grand Design Solitude 310GK, among others.
|Disadvantages of the classic travel trailer:|
They offer less stability on the road compared to atoy haulier. If you have to ride for several hours – or if you move regularly – you could quickly be irritated by this inconvenience.
|Disadvantages of the toy haulier: Due to its shape and structure, it is mandatory to own a van or a pick-up truck in order to be able to tow it. |
And although they sell for a lot more than trailers of the same size, they offer less space inside, especially in the area above the truck.
All you need to know about Travel Trailers
Travel trailers come in all shapes and sizes, from the smallest 4 feet (1,219 m) to models over 35 feet (10,668 m) with space for up to eight people. The variety of amenities and layouts varies greatly. Larger models can have two or more bedrooms, spacious kitchens, and full baths. Smaller travel trailers offer sleeping space for one or two people and most have some type of outside kitchen facility.
The main feature of travel trailers is that they can be connected with a standard ball hitch and towed by any vehicle qualified to support their weight capacity. That means you will have no problem finding a travel trailer that can be towed by your family car.
Advantages of Travel Trailers
– With a few exceptions, travel trailers are the cheapest RV class.
– They are usually light and can be towed with medium or small vehicles.
– Lighter weight results in better MPG. (Better mileage per gallon)
– The largest have very interesting and versatile plans, they have the same comforts as a small apartment, some even have two separate rooms, and very spacious living and kitchen spaces.
– Among the different options that exist in the market, you will surely find some that can be used as a permanent home.
– The smallest ones are designed to be towed with a small vehicle. They are ideal for people who love nature but do not want to sleep in a tent or are looking to improve their camping experience.
Disadvantages of Travel Trailers
– Many large and inexpensive models are designed for vacations, not to live and/or travel permanently. The quality of construction and materials tends to be cheap and weak.
– They can be difficult to tow, especially in high wind situations or when cargo weight is incorrectly distributed.
– Backing up can be mission impossible and requires a lot of practice.
– Even the largest ones have very little internal and external storage space.
– The manoeuvres can be very complicated: the turning of the rear of the trailer can become a big problem with the larger models.
– Unless you have an airstream, vintage RV, or moulded fibreglass travel trailer, your travel trailer will most likely lose value quickly, much more than any other type of RV.
All you need to know about Toy Hauliers
In its most basic sense, the Toy Hauler is an RV with a big ramp. It could also be described as a cross between a traditional travel trailer or fifth-wheel and a truck trailer. This class of sports trailers are the newest on the market and were designed to allow outdoor enthusiasts to transport ATVs, jet skis for snowmobiles, bicycles, small boats, race cars, jeeps, etc. more easily.
In general, toy hauliers have been divided into two sections: A rear section with a drop-down ramp (which can also become a patio or deck) and a front section with space and living facilities.
Most RV owners use the rear cargo area as originally intended, but many convert the garage into additional storage space, laundry room, office, game room, or even children’s room.
Advantages of Toy Hauliers
– They are an excellent option for RVers looking to bring their motorized sports vehicles.
– They could be a solution for large families, people who have inventory or need a separate studio or workshop to work while travelling.
– They are designed to circulate on all terrain. The chassis and axles are reinforced to support the several thousand pounds of cargo it could carry.
– Some small models weigh less than the load you can carry. This makes it possible to tow it with almost any vehicle.
– They are ideal for Boondocking and Dry Camping in remote areas since freshwater, grey and black water tanks tend to have better capacity compared to other travel trailers or fifth-wheels of a similar size.
– The garage section is spacious and can be used as a dining room, bedroom or multi-purpose room.
– In general, they have an extra gas tank.
– Some are small and light enough to be towed by a small SUV, even carrying thousands of pounds of equipment cargo.
– The largest and most luxurious apartments look like real apartments. In addition to the garage, they have bedrooms, a very spacious living room and kitchen, two bathrooms, etc.
Disadvantages of Toy Hauliers
– Living space and amenities are often smaller compared to RVs of similar size and price (Unless the garage area is remodelled and designated as permanent living space)
– Weight is a key issue in this RV category, as the rear load can easily exceed the capacity of your towing vehicle.
(In order not to make mistakes or have accidents, it is very important that you take into account the distribution and the total weight of the Toy Hauler once it is loaded)
– They tend to be more expensive than Fifth-Wheels and Travel Trailers with similar characteristics.
How to choose between a toy haulier and a travel trailer?
To choose between a toy haulier and a travel trailer you must identify your needs & your selection criteria.
Your budget is the first thing to consider. The higher your ability to pay, the more freedom of choice you will have.
The number of people who will be travelling with you is also very important. There is a big difference between a couple and a family made up of 2 adults and 3 children, for example.
How often and how long you travel will likely determine the space and amenities required in your cabin.
Other questions could also help you identify your needs:
- Do I need a lot of storage for my luggage?
- Can I just take a shower?
- Is luxury important to me?
You are the person who knows your needs the most, do not hesitate to add other important elements that will guide you in the purchase of a trailer or a toy haulier for sale.
Once you’ve established your budget and list of needs (luxury, storage), you can start narrowing down your choices based on what you want. If you are the nomadic adventurer type and move around a lot during your vacation, a toy haulier may be the right choice for you. It provides good road stability which could charm you.
On the contrary, if you like to go to only one place and stay there throughout your vacation, the trailer might be more advantageous for you because it is more affordable and more spacious.
What would you choose? Feel free to share your thoughts or comments!
FAQ on Are toy hauliers built better than travel trailers?
Why are toy hauliers more expensive?
Toy hauliers are more expensive than travel trailers because they are built better, with high-quality materials.
Are toy hauliers any good?
Yes, toy hauliers are a good option, especially for families. They are designed to circulate on all terrain. The chassis and axles are reinforced to support the several thousand pounds of cargo it could carry.
Why should I buy a toy haulier?
You should buy a toy haulier because they are large, luxurious and look like real apartments. In addition to the garage, they have bedrooms, a very spacious living room and kitchen, two bathrooms, etc.
Is a toy haulier considered a travel trailer?
Yes, toy hauliers can be considered a cross between travel trailers and fifth-wheel trailers. This class of sports trailers are the newest on the market and were designed to allow outdoor enthusiasts to transport ATVs, jet skis for snowmobiles, bicycles, small boats, race cars, jeeps, etc. more easily.