Are RV tire covers necessary? (5+ reasons to buy)
In this article, we will answer the following question: Are RV tire covers necessary? We will discuss the advantages of RV tire covers and help you choose the best quality ones!
Are RV tire covers necessary?
We believe that RV tire covers are necessary. It’s worth the investment to purchase RV tire covers to protect those tires. RV tire covers save you money in the end by ensuring the tires last longer. Tires get a lot of wear and covering them up when you’re not in travel mode significantly extends their life.
Some advantages of having RV tire covers:
- They work for all types of RV tires with rims as well as spare wheels.
- Protect your vehicle when transporting tires.
- Protect your tires during storage (a tire must be kept away from the sun and light).
- Easy to put on and adjustable.
- Made of very resistant textile material, it does not tear like plastic covers.
- Made from reusable and ecological materials.
Why buy RV tire covers?
A tire cover is perfect for storing your seasonal tires (whether winter tires or summer tires). It allows them to be stored without risk of damage or soiling and it can be equipped with a handle to help you carry your tires easily.
Also, it may or may not be equipped with a rubber band. These covers are generally standardized but can also bear the image of a specific car brand. It is generally made from a waterproof and durable fabric that helps maintain the condition of your tires and extend their life. And finally, don’t forget that it can be used to avoid dirtying the trunk of your car for a spare tire.
How to choose the right RV tire cover?
To choose the right tire cover, you should consider the following criteria:
- The type and quantity. To begin with, you need to consider the type of tire cover. Most covers on the market will be protective covers. We can also find heating covers used to keep the gums at temperature.
It can also be a tire cover sold per piece, in particular a cover for a single wheel or covers to cover several wheels. If you have a 4 × 4 and you change tires every season, choosing a set of 4 (or a large cover that includes several tires) may be a good idea.
- The size. Next, you need to educate yourself on what types of tires are suitable for the cover. Normally, if its size is a universal or standard type, it can fit almost any vehicle wheel regardless of the size. However, pay attention to the dimensions before making your purchase.
- The fabric. In addition, you must also take into account the material from which the tire cover is made. The cover should be sturdy enough not to worry about being torn when you put in or move your tire. A polyester or fabric model will do just fine. In fact, you must be interested in a fabric that is at the same time waterproof, resistant and elastic.
- The type of closure and the accessories. The other criterion to check is whether or not there is elastic on the tire storage cover. This element holds the cover fast enough to adapt to the tire and it also makes the device more efficient as it prevents dust from entering.
Besides the elastic, other useful elements can also accompany the tire cover. This is the case, for example, with the handle. If it is ergonomic and reinforced, it allows the wheel to be carried comfortably and effortlessly. Then, it can also make the cover and tire assembly more stylish.
It should be noted that some tire covers also have an icon on their upper part in order to facilitate their identification and to keep the initial position of the tires (front right, rear left, etc.).
- The colour. You can also look at the colour of the tire cover. Preferably, it should be dark (black or grey) and therefore less easy to soil. For the choice of colours, it will be above all a matter of taste (we really like those from Michelin, for example).
- The price. Finally, you must finally look at the price of your future tire cover. A model offered by a reputable brand may cost a little more than others, but it can give you a better quality product. Generally, count between 20 and 100 dollars.
What are the best RV tire covers in 2021?
Considering these selection criteria and the number of tire covers that are currently on the market, we can understand that you are still having a hard time finding the ideal product.
- Michelin tire covers – This is one of the benchmarks in the market when it comes to tire covers. It is a quality product and has all the assets to satisfy you. It is made from nylon fabric and it is equipped with a reinforced handle by which you can carry your tire without getting tired.
Thanks to its universal size and sliding link, it can be used to store all types of tires more easily and without getting dirty. In fact, it automatically adjusts as soon as you put it on your wheel. It is a good product that allows easy use even for large wheels.
- Set of 4 Premium C&D covers – The C&D set of 4 tire covers is also one of the best products around. It is made from durable, heavyweight polyester fabric and is comfortable, quick and easy to assemble.
This is the kind of tool that can effectively protect against dirt and extend the life of your tires. In addition, it adapts to all types of tires up to 245 mm and its small pocket allows secure storage of your bolts and other small parts.
- Homper tire covers – Here it is a storage bag made of 210D oxford fabric and can accommodate several 33 to 48 cm tires. It’s large enough to wrap up to 4 tires and it closes with a zipper and drawstring. This can make your tasks easier and also protects your tires from the sun, rain and mud when you are on the move.
- Unitec 75555 tire covers – Finally, let’s finish with this set of 4 covers from Unitec 75555. These are elasticated polyester tire covers with a rather nice design. To help you with your task, the manufacturer has marked the position of the wheel on each cover in this set.
Final thoughts and tips
The condition of the tires is crucial for a safe journey in your RV. Even if you don’t use your motorhome continuously, the tires will wear out over time and you will have to replace them with new ones. By investing in good quality RV tire covers, you prolong their lifespan and protect them from harsh weather conditions and UV rays!
If you have any tips, comments or questions about the content, please let us know.
FAQ on Are RV tire covers necessary?
Are RV tires different?
Yes, RV tires are different from truck, van, trailer or car tires. The quality of your tires plays an important role in your RV trip. Good tires will save you money in potential repairs, cause accidents, and can potentially save lives. As with all vehicles, the tires are the point of contact between the motorhome and the road.
Why do you cover RV tires?
You should cover your RV tires to protect them against harsh weather or UV exposure, as both can damage the tires in the long run.
How do you know if your RV tires are bad?
You know if your RV tires are bad if 1/8 of an inch is down, they have cracks or dry rot more than 1/16 of an inch deep.
- RV Tire Covers: Do You Really Need Them? – RV LIFE
- Are RV Tire Covers Necessary? – Camper Van Traveler
- How To Make RV Tire Covers: DIY Tips For Your RV – Bayside RV