In this blog post, we will answer the following question: Are Coleman pop-up campers any good? We will discuss the pros and cons of Coleman campers and review the series.
Are Coleman pop-up campers any good?
Yes, we can say that Coleman pop-up campers are very good quality and convenient campers, especially when comparing them with similar models of other brands.
Coleman is perhaps one of the oldest pop-up camper manufacturers, with the first model created back in 1967. Since then, Coleman has been bought by Fleetwood (in 1989), which later went bankrupt and was purchased by Thor Industries in 2010.
What’s good about Coleman pop-up campers?
In this section, we will discuss the pros, amenities and unique features of Coleman pop-up campers.
- First of all, we have to mention the price of Coleman pop-up campers. The costs for acquiring a new Coleman pop-up camper vary between $22,000 and $42,000. Of course, you can find many other similar models from various brands at the same price. But the chances are that you will rarely find such a high quality build pop-up camper at such an affordable price!
- Coleman pop-up campers are unexpectedly spacious. These foldable trailers can sleep up to eight people, have lots of interior and exterior storage, an 80″ to 82” ceiling height and include bunkhouse plans.
- Coleman pop-up campers come with a number of standard options. These campers are pre-wired for optional extras like Wi-Fi, solar, cameras, etc. It also comes with a power awning, tongue jack, and stabilizer jacks, a diamond-plate rock guard, residential-size kitchen appliances, nightshades in the bedroom and living room and an outdoor shower.
- Coleman pop-up campers are easy to tow. These are lightweight campers for SUV towing, with layouts that improve traffic flow. Besides, all models have slideouts!
What’s not so good about Coleman pop-up campers?
Like many other pop-up campers, Coleman trailers are far from ideal. In this section, we will review the most common complaints when it comes to Coleman pop-up campers, and let you decide whether these are a dealbreaker for you or not.
- The materials that Coleman pop-up campers are made of are not the most durable. Indeed, there are campers out there that would last you 10 or even 15 years with very little maintenance. This is not the case with Coleman pop-up campers, and as a potential buyer, you should be aware of that.
We are talking about water leaks, for the most part, that can, however, be easily repaired at home. If you do not know how to check our article on how to repair your pop-up camper canvas.
- Coleman pop-up campers do not have the best insulation. That being said, we do not recommend adventuring yourself in the mountains during the cold season. Besides, there are many customers complaining of issues with the digital thermostat, and the difficulty to reach and maintain the water heater and black water tank valve.
- There are other issues with Coleman pop-up campers that may seem more or less relevant to you: not having enough electrical outlets, uncomfortable and shorter than standard mattresses, lots of furniture wear-and-tear problems.
Coleman campers: dimensions and floor plans
In this section of the article, we are going to present the specs of each Coleman camper so you can easily choose a model depending on the towing capacity of your car. This is an important criterion in considering whether you should or should not buy a camper!
|Sleeps||Up to 6|
|Dry Weight||1,650 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||550 lbs.|
|Dry Weight||1,645 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||755 lbs.|
Coleman Sea Pine
|Dry Weight||1,805 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||695 lbs.|
|Dry Weight||2,155 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||845 lbs.|
Coleman Santa Fe
|Dry Weight||1,890 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||1,110 lbs.|
Coleman Sun Valley
|Dry Weight||2,175 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||1,325 lbs.|
|Dry Weight||2,140 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||860 lbs.|
|Dry Weight||2,655 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||845 lbs.|
|Dry Weight||2,680 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||820 lbs.|
|Dry Weight||1,245 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||1,055 lbs.|
|Dry Weight||2,405 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||1,095 lbs.|
|Dry Weight||2,705 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||1,695 lbs.|
|Dry Weight||3,030 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||1,370 lbs.|
|Dry Weight||3,995 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||3,005 lbs.|
|Dry Weight||2,850 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||650 lbs.|
|Dry Weight||3,275 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||695 lbs.|
|Dry Weight||3,805 lbs.|
|Cargo Weight||795 lbs.|
Are Coleman pop-up campers worth the money?
With the risk of repeating ourselves, we are going to go ahead and say yes, Coleman pop-up campers are worth the money, considering the standard amenities, the quality of materials and the convenience of installing and camping in them.
Still, this is a very personal choice, as Coleman pop-up campers, just like any other RV, have their pros and cons (mentioned above).
To help you make a complete decision, we are going to mention some things you must know before buying a Coleman pop-up camper (or any pop-up camper for that matter).
As there are several models on the market, to choose a pop-up camper you must first, determine your needs.
The ideal pop-up camper for you and your vehicle:
- Can be an 8, 10, 12 and even a 14 ft camper. Depending on the maximum weight for your vehicle? And the number of people in your family.
- Does your budget allow you to buy anti-swing or even torsion bars, electric brakes?
- The options: Bed size, heated beds, storage space, hot water, toilet, shower, electric or manual water pump, awning, mosquito net after awning, air conditioning, fantastic fan, heating, size of the dinette, outdoor BBQ, internal water tank, Radio Am / Fm CD, exterior storage box, exterior extension for kitchenette (slide-out), rigid roof or canvas, space for your mountain bike, 3-way fridge or cooler for the older ones.
Buying a used camper, especially from an individual, can be a major source of stress given the number of items to check. It is always preferable to do business with an experienced dealer who will have thoroughly checked all the used campers that he puts for resale with the right tools and the right techniques.
There are different models of pop-up campers. Keep in mind that it is preferable to invest a few dollars and avoid unpleasant surprises such as flooding if it rains or unwanted animals or insects entering! You may also want a sleeping cushion and other products that can give you comfort. It will depend on how comfortable you are willing to sleep.
Other things that you will need for successful camping in a pop-up camper are:
- a source of light, to illuminate you when it gets dark. A cheap LED headlight is the best.
- lanterns, for the same purpose as above. Do not rely so much on what can light the fire.
- first aid kit: something basic to clean and heal wounds from scrapes, cuts, blisters and any other medication you take. Even antiallergic.
- sunscreen: minimum SP40 factor! And also include hats with a visor or eaves in your garments to protect your head from the sun!
- Insect repellent.
For other things, you may need, do your research! You have the internet at hand for looking for camping places, even in some with bathroom facilities and others you can book in advance. Always read helpful information and talk to the camping site manager. Don’t keep any questions to yourself! What if someone gets lost? What if a bear appears? What if an accident occurs? Consider all the possibilities.
The bottom line
Like any other pop-up camper on the market, Coleman pop-up campers are far from ideal, but good campers. We remind you of the pros of owning a pop-up camper:
- It is easy to tow;
- Affordable prices;
- Low fuel consumption;
- Easier to store;
- Some pop-up campers can sleep even eight people!
Do you have any questions or comments on the content? Let us know!
Other FAQs about Pop up campers that you may be interested in.
- 4 Best Pop-Up Campers & Why You Should Buy Them – MobileRVing
- Best Quality Pop UP and Worst quality | PopUpPortal
- Coleman – Freedom Motorhomes